Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if this has been attempted or if it would even work? I think the Veer is pretty sweet but being a Vzw customer it's not an option. And with it being so small I wonder if a comm board from a Vzw Pixi+ would work. Any one?
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Does anyone know if this has been attempted or if it would even work? I think the Veer is pretty sweet but being a Vzw customer it's not an option. And with it being so small I wonder if a comm board from a Vzw Pixi+ would work. Any one?
    The Veer is a single board unfortunately
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The Veer is a single board unfortunately
    Boo. Not even with a soldering iron, magnifying glass, and some luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Boo. Not even with a soldering iron, magnifying glass, and some luck?
    Unfortunately not.

With many of the Qualcomm SoC (system on a chip) designs, the modem is part of the CPU. And then the Veer is pretty fragile, where removing the RF shields, one risks bending the board too much. Same with the firmware... If the magnetic connector slips at the wrong time while doctoring, during the modem firmware reflash, you'll end up with an unrecoverable brick. Dead, cold and useless, no pulse*. First documented by Rod Whitby, who then had to pay $600 for a brand new German Veer, from which he then built a "FrankenVeer", having the correct 3G bands for Australia, with a QWERTY keyboard from the bricked Veer in place of QWERTZ.

*The only possible way to fix it is to find the correct JTAG pinout on the chip and reflash the chip separately.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Unfortunately not.

With many of the Qualcomm SoC (system on a chip) designs, the modem is part of the CPU. And then the Veer is pretty fragile, where removing the RF shields, one risks bending the board too much. Same with the firmware... If the magnetic connector slips at the wrong time while doctoring, during the modem firmware reflash, you'll end up with an unrecoverable brick. Dead, cold and useless, no pulse*. First documented by Rod Whitby, who then had to pay $600 for a brand new German Veer, from which he then built a "FrankenVeer", having the correct 3G bands for Australia, with a QWERTY keyboard from the bricked Veer in place of QWERTZ.

*The only possible way to fix it is to find the correct JTAG pinout on the chip and reflash the chip separately.
    See, that's why I like your responses. You could have said, "no". Thanks for being thorough! Oh, and bummer.
    Remy X likes this.
    Honestly, with there being such a large array of very inexpensive prepaid Sims these days, you can just pick one up and throw it in the veer and have fun with it! I always have a spare prepaid sim for backup these days, they are great....
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Honestly, with there being such a large array of very inexpensive prepaid Sims these days, you can just pick one up and throw it in the veer and have fun with it! I always have a spare prepaid sim for backup these days, they are great....
    You need an adapter

Just a heads up, that the Veer takes a full-size SIM
  8.    #8  
    And the SIM idea would allow a Veer to work on Verizon?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    No, but i've heard that if you keep over a $100 on a T-Mobile prepaid account, your minutes don't expire.
  10.    #10  
    Well I guess that's cool. No need for a new phone number though so no Veer for this guy. I'm taking my Pixi+, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 3, Touchpad, and my Verizon-branded ball and going home.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE