Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    I bought one of those external battery packs that lets you charge things via USB with the intent of using it for my Veer, since the battery only lasts about 7 hours and that's not enough for the whole day. However, I can't make the Veer charge off it.

When the battery is dead and I connect it to the external pack, it gives it the 2% it needs to start it up again. If I then leave the pack connected, the battery level stays at 2%, but doesn't charge more (which isn't ideal given the propensity of that magnetic charge cable to detach in my pocket). (It doesn't charge if I just connect it to the pack while it's already on, either.) The pack's output is 500mA, I know this isn't enough for a Touchpad but I thought it would be enough for a Veer. Is that just not enough current to charge my Veer?

I read in a thread about car chargers that on some chargers you have to short the two data pins in the USB port, would that be something that makes a difference in this case?
    This could get quite in-depth - but basically I think you'd be better off with at least a 1A charge current available for your Veer to charge as quickly and fully as possible.

And (Eeek) - NO pins are directly 'shorted' in the HP Power Management Charge Sensing systems!
    There are instead two resistors, that on non HP-specific chargers, can be 'proffessionally fitted' to allow that charger to then communicate correctly with the HP device and deliver it's maximum current (2A in the case of the Touchpad) - or as required by that HP device!

Perhaps this is why your external battery pack is also apparently not delivering a high enough charge current?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  3.    #3  
    The shorting thing I was referring to was from this post: Car charger problem (Veer) It seemed that some people were able to make car chargers work with the Veer that way.

If it's possibly just a current issue (and I wasn't sure; the official barrel outputs 1.0A, but I had hoped the lesser current would still be enough to charge it, albeit more slowly), I will look into getting a pack with a higher current output. I wish there was an official one! I can't survive without my phone, but I also can't survive without whatsapp and its battery hunger :P Thank you for your advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterism View Post
    The shorting thing I was referring to was from this post: Car charger problem (Veer) It seemed that some people were able to make car chargers work with the Veer that way.

If it's possibly just a current issue (and I wasn't sure; the official barrel outputs 1.0A, but I had hoped the lesser current would still be enough to charge it, albeit more slowly), I will look into getting a pack with a higher current output. I wish there was an official one! I can't survive without my phone, but I also can't survive without whatsapp and its battery hunger :P Thank you for your advice.
    Not sure if it is a best way, but you can get a spare Veer battery?

If not could you use a USB plug to active the touchstone puck then have the veer sitting on that (won't work in your pocket), but it would charge if battery source was strong enough?
  5.    #5  
    Is the Veer battery user-replaceable? I had thought it wasn't, since there doesn't seem to be an easy way to open up the back. But that would definitely be the easiest way if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterism View Post
    Is the Veer battery user-replaceable? I had thought it wasn't, since there doesn't seem to be an easy way to open up the back. But that would definitely be the easiest way if so.
    The Veer battery is replaceable, however, one must be careful not to break the back cover/touchstone wires/warranty sticker, be careful...

Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals

Replacement for HP Veer, Veer 4G, P160U, P160UEU Cell Phone and PDA Batteries
    Remy X and Asterism like this.
    Thanks for the links i will order one