Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I know that 2.2.4 comes with more features, as well as some bugs. But from a performance and battery life perspective, which is better?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by njitipairote View Post
    Hi,
    I know that 2.2.4 comes with more features, as well as some bugs. But from a performance and battery life perspective, which is better?

Thanks!
    My Veer is WiFi only not activated on any carrier, I used webOS 2.1.2 for about a month then produced the two Meta Doctor scripts for webOS 2.2.4...

The basic webOS 2.2.4 (from stock backup source), was buggy and laggy and I had issues with it.

The Supered webOS 2.2.4 (which used the stock then upgrade some components to Pre2 release version of webOS 2.2.4), it was less buggy and laggy and seems better to me, however, as the Kernel/binary parts can't be swapped those are stock backup source and show that the release was not read for release to manufacturing.

But I have kept webOS 2.2.4 (Supered) for over a year now and prefer it, over webOS 2.1.2.

FYI my PixiPlus is using a Supered webOS 2.1.2 build (with the binary stock PixiPlus backup source), and I prefer that over the stock PixiPlus build...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    My Veer is WiFi only not activated on any carrier, I used webOS 2.1.2 for about a month then produced the two Meta Doctor scripts for webOS 2.2.4...

The basic webOS 2.2.4 (from stock backup source), was buggy and laggy and I had issues with it.

The Supered webOS 2.2.4 (which used the stock then upgrade some components to Pre2 release version of webOS 2.2.4), it was less buggy and laggy and seems better to me, however, as the Kernel/binary parts can't be swapped those are stock backup source and show that the release was not read for release to manufacturing.

But I have kept webOS 2.2.4 (Supered) for over a year now and prefer it, over webOS 2.1.2.

FYI my PixiPlus is using a Supered webOS 2.1.2 build (with the binary stock PixiPlus backup source), and I prefer that over the stock PixiPlus build...
    What about speed and battery life?
    What about speed and battery life?
    Depends on what you want...

When I used webOS 2.1.2 I used stock webOS 2.1.2 Kernel...

When I use webOS 2.2.4 I use stock webOS 2.2.4 kernel...

With webOS 2.1.x, If you mess with UberKernel, you can get better performance at a cost of battery life...

There are also ways of getting a better battery in the Veer (as it is removable even though HP/Palm did not make it easy), and you would have to get/make a better battery.

But you can also use Govnah to get better performance out of the stock kernels, however, at a cost of battery life.

My Veer's battery is running fine, I use my Veer as an MP3 player/gamer device it last all day, sometimes my kids run the battery out... but it has been a great little device, only cons, 8G NAND, and only GSM, I would sport this if it was World (CDMA+GSM)...

I also have the Pre3 but it is to big for my likings... a Phone to me should be a Phone, a Smart Phone, should be a Phone will PIM apps, the Veer does that and so much more....
  5.    #5  
    I had a Pre 3 but it was so buggy, even with 2.2.4.
    The Veer is probably more stable, right?
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    a Phone to me should be a Phone, a Smart Phone, should be a Phone will PIM apps, the Veer does that and so much more....
    Amen to that...
    I had a Pre 3 but it was so buggy, even with 2.2.4.
    The Veer is probably more stable, right?
    The issues with stability to me started with the Pixi...

The Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 have a modem firmware/driver as part of the comm board...

The Pixi/PixiPlus/Pre3/Veer all load their modem firmware/driver into memory...

With the 256M of ram of the Pixi/PixiPlus that leaves left ~192M.
    With the 512M of ram of the Pre3/Veer that leaves ~384M.

This reduced memory effect makes the Veer and Pre3 better then the Pre (which had 256M), but not as good as the PrePlus/Pre2 in memory management...

Seems the modem firmware/driver causes memory issues (too many cards) and a change in available memory (almost like a memory leak).

So is the Veer more stable then the Pre3? I think they are about the same...

The most stable and best HP/Palm phone to me is the Pre2...
    fxspec06 likes this.
    My pre 2 i think is more stable than my pre3, but the GPS doesn't work and it's a lot slower, plus the extra pixels on the pre3 plus auto focus camera make it the better device.

I rarely find any "bugs" on my Pre3 nowadays anyways, besides the apps not scaling to the larger screen (how hard is it to add a <meta> tag?). webOS it seems is fairly stable on the Pre3; reboots are infrequent. I remember I used to reboot a lot with Pre+ on 2.1.0
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06