Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  1.    #1  
    Hi
    I bought a HP Veer and i cant make it to work with Personal Argentina 3G (or any data), i'm on webos 2.1.2 and it wont let me change the apn settings.

Is there any way i can make it work? i'm desperate

My carrier is Personal Argentina

Thanks for any help!
    Congrats to the new Veer!

I think you have to go to the Phone app (the app you use when you wanna call s.o.) , tap the top left of the screen and go to "Preferences"
    Assuming that your Veer has the correct frequencies to work data on Personal... (just checked, they're 850/1900 UMTS, so you should be good on hardware)

Phone app -> menu (upper left corner) -> Preferences and Accounts

Scroll down to the Network part, turn on Manual Settings then tap Edit Network Settings. Should then have the card for Internet and MMS APN settings. From this page I guess at your settings: Mobile Carrier Settings for Personal - Argentina

Internet APN: gprs.personal.com
    User name: gprs
    Password: gprs

Press Change Settings. It'll do its thing. It may complain on 2.1.2 but still have actually worked, so if prompted then save anyway.

Now then, tap MMS APN at the top.

MMS APN, Username, and Password: mms
    MMSC: http://mms.personal.com
    Proxy: 172.25.7.31:8080

No max size, but try leaving it at 800 or whatever? Then Change Settings again. That should enable picture messages.

(I had trouble getting these settings to stick on Straight Talk for a Veer too. Just try to save, exit, then go back to make sure it stuck. I recall having to reboot once too. Just be persistent entering it and saving and it should stick eventually. Don't know why it might need the reboot too. Anyway, with a Pre 3 2.2.4 now I don't have that issue, so can't try.)

Oh... And it's an unlocked Veer? Voice works?
    Last edited by ananimus; 05/19/2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Remy X and RumoredNow like this.
  4.    #4  
    It is an unlocked veer, voice and sms work since out of the box

I change the apn settings but it looks like they arent saved, because when i go back and look at the settings they are blank, empty. Any other ideas? I know that the hardware works with the 3g here because yesterday i was so desperate that i doctored the 'beta' webos 2.2.4 and data worked...only that phone calls were unreliable...well exacly, i could not make any phone calls so im going to stick with webos 2.1.2 but it would be great if i can get data to work, on webos 2.2.4 i changed the apn settings and it started working, so why isnt the same happening here?

Any ideas? thanks a lot for you help
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Assuming that your Veer has the correct frequencies to work data on Personal... (just checked, they're 850/1900 UMTS, so you should be good on hardware)

Phone app -> menu (upper left corner) -> Preferences and Accounts

Scroll down to the Network part, turn on Manual Settings then tap Edit Network Settings. Should then have the card for Internet and MMS APN settings. From this page I guess at your settings: Mobile Carrier Settings for Personal - Argentina

Internet APN: gprs.personal.com
    User name: gprs
    Password: gprs

Press Change Settings. It'll do its thing. It may complain on 2.1.2 but still have actually worked, so if prompted then save anyway.

Now then, tap MMS APN at the top.

MMS APN, Username, and Password: mms
    MMSC: http://mms.personal.com
    Proxy: 172.25.7.31:8080

No max size, but try leaving it at 800 or whatever? Then Change Settings again. That should enable picture messages.

(I had trouble getting these settings to stick on Straight Talk for a Veer too. Just try to save, exit, then go back to make sure it stuck. I recall having to reboot once too. Just be persistent entering it and saving and it should stick eventually. Don't know why it might need the reboot too. Anyway, with a Pre 3 2.2.4 now I don't have that issue, so can't try.)

Oh... And it's an unlocked Veer? Voice works?
    I doesnt let me save the apn settings, i tried with carrierdb.json but i think im doing it wrong because it is not working
    You could update to 2.2.4 for the Veer ;-) It works a bit better with APN and also gives you Skype and TTS :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You could update to 2.2.4 for the Veer ;-) It works a bit better with APN and also gives you Skype and TTS :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I did that and veryfied that its not a hardware issue because the phone connects to data and can browse the web, the problem with 2.2.4 is that phone calls dont work well...so i have to stick to 2.1.2
    Quote Originally Posted by sebau1995 View Post
    I doesnt let me save the apn settings, i tried with carrierdb.json but i think im doing it wrong because it is not working
    Veer on 2.1.2 does need a reboot between attempts at editing APN/MMS. It is just a quirk the lovable little scamp has...

Put the settings in, tap "set up anyway" when it acts up. Reboot and then edit in the settings again. I remember having to do that and have heard others (including ananimus) say the same.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Veer on 2.1.2 does need a reboot between attempts at editing APN/MMS. It is just a quirk the lovable little scamp has...

Put the settings in, tap "set up anyway" when it acts up. Reboot and then edit in the settings again. I remember having to do that and have heard others (including ananimus) say the same.
    Trying now, does it matter if i have developer mode enabled?
    Nope. Just do it and Set up Anyway. If no connection appears, then restart or cycle the phone connection.
  11.    #11  
    I tried several times but it does not work...its like the settings are not being saved. You think that if I try more times maybe it works? This is strange...if it worked for you then I'll keep trying. When I enter the settings and save them, should I swipe back or wait to see if some kind o connection appears in the top bar? By cycle the phone connection you mean turn off data or go to plane mode?

Thank you a lot for your help!
  12.    #12  
    Anybody? Ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

Just this . It still sounds like the same issue, can't think of anything else.

Try some variation? I don't remember exactly how I did it. Was sort of on accident. Just tried random combinations of editing the settings, saving. Saving again. Changing to something else then back again. Then finally after changing back to correct settings, rebooted once and added them in and it was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sebau1995 View Post
    Anybody? Ideas?
    You have to modify the carrierdb.json of your device according to the netword you're using following this guide. Hope it works. That's how I was able to get my AT&T Veer to connect to data outside of the US, assuming you are encountering the same issue of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroLyser View Post
    You have to modify the carrierdb.json of your device according to the netword you're using following this guide. Hope it works. That's how I was able to get my AT&T Veer to connect to data outside of the US, assuming you are encountering the same issue of course.
    We went through all that over here: HOWTO: Edit your carrierdb.json file

I even pulled a copy of the Personal entry from my Pre 2 carrierdb.json for sebau1995 to use in his Veer...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  16.    #16  
    i edited carrierdb.json and still no luck, i decrypted personal info on datacarrierdb.json and it is old, but still i have no idea how to make it work..