Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hey everyone! I'm thinking about getting a veer (as the title says ha). I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I know it seems weird to switch to an older phone, but I'm in a pinch and need to sell my phone for money for college, so I'm looking for a good phone to get me by. The last time I've had a webOS phone was like 3 years ago, and I had the Palm Pre Plus.

So here's what I do with my phone currently. I use Pandora, Facebook, Twitter and email. Those are my only apps (I'm a lightweight). I also use my phone to listen to music in the car via aux cable. That's all I really do. I've been trying to find some reviews about the phone, and I came across good and bad, but those reviews were 2 years ago, and I didn't know how the veer stacks up now.

So my questions are: Does the veer get good battery life? Picture quality good? Is there a map app for direction? Does the sound coming from the veer via aux sound good and not distorted? How about call quality?

Also, are there any other things I should know like issues about the phone? I think I might really like this phone since spec-wise seems good, and it's super cheap! Please fill me in! Thanks community!
    Quote Originally Posted by rpark91 View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm thinking about getting a veer (as the title says ha). I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I know it seems weird to switch to an older phone, but I'm in a pinch and need to sell my phone for money for college, so I'm looking for a good phone to get me by. The last time I've had a webOS phone was like 3 years ago, and I had the Palm Pre Plus.

So here's what I do with my phone currently. I use Pandora, Facebook, Twitter and email. Those are my only apps (I'm a lightweight). I also use my phone to listen to music in the car via aux cable. That's all I really do. I've been trying to find some reviews about the phone, and I came across good and bad, but those reviews were 2 years ago, and I didn't know how the veer stacks up now.

So my questions are: Does the veer get good battery life? Picture quality good? Is there a map app for direction? Does the sound coming from the veer via aux sound good and not distorted? How about call quality?

Also, are there any other things I should know like issues about the phone? I think I might really like this phone since spec-wise seems good, and it's super cheap! Please fill me in! Thanks community!
    I'll see what I can answer here...

1) battery life ... This will be a veer soft spot due to only have a 960mah battery. If you can afford a touchstone they are very handy to have with the veer to keep it topped off esp with the odd charging cable of the veer.
    2) picture quality isn't very good by todays standards. It has a fixed focus lens and no flash.
    3) there is an excellent homebrew google maps app in preware
    4) as long as you don't lose the audio adapter the sound quality coming from the veer is decent. I notice its not quite as good as the pre3 but it is acceptable for sure.
    5)I find call quality on veer to be average. There is noticeably less signal strength on my veer then my pre2 or pre3 but if you have decent signal in your area the sound on a phone call is good and I think speakerphone is excellent for a tiny phone.

if you decide to get one welcome back to webOS. Please stay a while
    Remy X likes this.

software side:
    Email, just the standard app, but that's all you want
    Twitter, recently twitter changed it's api, but I love Macaw, even able to use multiple twitter accounts in seperate cards.
    Facebook, app is outdated, but functional, synergy, pulls your contacts in, a chat plugin is available and working, but at the cost of battery life (search for synergy messaging plugin here on the forum, then install with preware)

Pandora? Not available in Europe......
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I'll see what I can answer here...

1) battery life ... This will be a veer soft spot due to only have a 960mah battery. If you can afford a touchstone they are very handy to have with the veer to keep it topped off esp with the odd charging cable of the veer.
    2) picture quality isn't very good by todays standards. It has a fixed focus lens and no flash.
    3) there is an excellent homebrew google maps app in preware
    4) as long as you don't lose the audio adapter the sound quality coming from the veer is decent. I notice its not quite as good as the pre3 but it is acceptable for sure.
    5)I find call quality on veer to be average. There is noticeably less signal strength on my veer then my pre2 or pre3 but if you have decent signal in your area the sound on a phone call is good and I think speakerphone is excellent for a tiny phone.

if you decide to get one welcome back to webOS. Please stay a while
    I don't use my phone a lot of the day, so I'm hoping that the battery can do for at least 10 am to 6 pm. I'm very eager to try it, so I'm going to buy it! In the mean time, I'll look at the overclock forum and see what I can find. I'm excited! Thanks peeps!
    Call quality is very good I would say, signal strength is fine too. Battery life depends on usage, but Touchstones go for very cheap so just buy some (home, office, car?). Audio is quite good, I personally use BT most of the time instead of the magnetic connector.

Phnx is a nice twitter client for the Veer

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 05/17/2013 at 02:57 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Hey m8 ,

Let me summarize for you all the previous reply's and give you more complete picture.

It's alternative device , it can run smooth out of the box , but it will run even smoother if you pay some attention to it and spend some time to learn how to do the things.

Since is dead project , it's all up to you and the webOS nation , which means it's all up to the users now.

Is it good to own such device ? YES if you like to be different and separate from the mainstream
    Is it good to be used for main device ? Yes it can be used , but better to have it for fun ... anyway you can !
    Is it reliable and able to cover your daily needs ? Yes it can cover all you need , not in best way but it can , remember this is very very small device at the end
    Is there any known issues out of the box ? No , except it require Internet activation first time you turn it on , there are no other known issues users met so far
    Are there any cons? Yes of course , there is no device which can cover every possible user taste . but hey again this is very unique device
    Should i buy one ? It's always Up to you

In general there are no down sides , it's a device which can make calls and i guess that's always the main point

IF you hate to play with OS and files and installations and reading forums and so on .... just buy some Samsung

GL
    I've been using my Veer since it came out and it has been a solid phone for me. While there are times I feel the need for a bigger screen, most of the time the size works great for me. I never touch the phone ion the car and it synchs great with my Uconnect in the car, actually, better than my wife's iphone.

I have no issues typing on the keyboard and I have fat fingers.

If you don't feel the need to follow the herd, this is a good phone. It runs great overclocked. Make sure you install govnah. As for apps, I don't use many. I use it as a phone, for texting and email. It works well in that capacity.

Battery life is an issue, but I don't stray far from a charger. I get 6-10 hrs away from one in normal use. And I hate the lag when bringing up texts that sometimes occurs.

I've never seen a Pre3 let alone used one, but I think this is Palm's best phone. It's solid and pretty smooth. After almost 2 years of use, it's in great shape and I have dropped it many times. Out of boredom, not need, I think I may try to go to 2.2.4 soon and see what it is like.

I still get a lot of comments on the phone and I always explain the size by saying I'm not compensating for anything, unlike the guy holding the tablet to his head over there!

My wife moved to the iphone and she says she misses the keyboard most of all, but that the iphone is not with out it's issues.