Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a few palm veers or pre3s brand new and unlocked. I want to get out of this vicious contract cycle. What should I expect from the palm. Will I be able to update to the latest software before palm kicked the bucket? Is there still an app store of some kind? I will have to put Facebook on my wife's phone. But other than that we are email, text message heavy. Not a lot of demands.

How does the email compare to blackberry? I need fast response times.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Free Facebook app is available. Email works great! I got 5 or so different email account running without any issues, including our corporate Exchange :-) The physical keyboard is great. The Veer's one is fine for me, but it might be a little small for some, though it works fine for my brother too and his hands are bigger than mine ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 04/02/2013 at 02:32 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I've taken to using the mobile facebook site at x.facebook.com rather than the facebook app.. Its much closer to the facebook apps on other platforms and doesn't have the issues that the app has.

Go to x.facebook.com in the browser, tap the upper left corner for he app menu, and select to add it to the launcher. Good to go.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Ok everybody,

Just purchased two veers. very excited. i am going to throw them on the red pocket network. It sounds like the browser is great. I have a blackberry playbook, not a lot of apps but the browser can handle web pages well and that makes up for it. I know there will be even less for the veer.

What is the solution for a navigation app?

and

What is the best place on this website to get a history lesson on what happened to webos and how to tap in to the open source stuff thats available?
    You'll love them! Homebrew Google Maps in Preware will do the trick. Or NavIt which is also in Preware :-)

History: See front page :-)

SHORT SUMMARY: Palm almost went bankrupt, HP bought Palm. Released Veer, Touchpad. Then 4-5 weeks into sale killed Touchpad and other webOS hardware due to 'bad sales'. Pre 3 was about to be released that day or the day after. All hardware was sold for 'firesale' prices (16GB Touchpad @ $99, 32GB @ $ 149 etc). HP got new management and decided to open source webOS. Been a long process replacing closed source with open source bits and updating to more modern backend bits (QT5, Webkit2 etc).

Quite some items haven't been released yet (media components), Synergy (supposedly available in the paid 'pro' version), Exchange ActiveSync support etc.

Open webOS officially requires kernel 3.3+ while legacy hardware (and most Android hardware) runs on 2.6.x

For most hardware there is only a binary driver available for 2.6.x kernel and not for 3.3+ hence no Open webOS for legacy HP/Palm devices currently (some people have reported that Open webOS COULD work on older kernels including 2.6.x though).

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by anglobadger View Post
    Ok everybody,

Just purchased two veers. very excited. i am going to throw them on the red pocket network. It sounds like the browser is great. I have a blackberry playbook, not a lot of apps but the browser can handle web pages well and that makes up for it. I know there will be even less for the veer.

What is the solution for a navigation app?

and

What is the best place on this website to get a history lesson on what happened to webos and how to tap in to the open source stuff thats available?
    Well, got to say congrats on those veers(wouldn't say that they are great phones ), once you get those two phones make sure you install Homebrew into them cause it would make WebOS more liveable and run more smoothly. In my opinion, you could have gone with a Pre's 3 or 2 in buying your next phone without a contract due to the screen size of the devices(the veer only has a 2.6 inch screen which is super tiny). Despite the size, I'm sure you will like WebOS platform with its gesture button and multitasking abiltites, with the exception the Web-Browser app and of course ghost-town known to many as "the Palm App Catalog".

Other than that, welcome to WebOSNation....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Well, got to say congrats on those veers(wouldn't say that they are great phones ), once you get those two phones make sure you install Homebrew into them cause it would make WebOS more liveable and run more smoothly. In my opinion, you could have gone with a Pre's 3 or 2 in buying your next phone without a contract due to the screen size of the devices(the veer only has a 2.6 inch screen which is super tiny). Despite the size, I'm sure you will like WebOS platform with its gesture button and multitasking abiltites, with the exception the Web-Browser app and of course ghost-town known to many as "the Palm App Catalog".

Other than that, welcome to WebOSNation....
    yeah I considered the pre 3, but in truth this is probably a 6-12 month fling until the new BB Q10's come out and down in price so I can buy a couple of those out right. Apple will never work for me because the email response time is atrocious. When I look at the other options out there in the 75 dollar price range . . . these seem like quality little devices that will get the job done in the short run. Will no more tomorrow when I set one up.
    Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a few palm veers or pre3s brand new and unlocked. I want to get out of this vicious contract cycle. What should I expect from the palm. Will I be able to update to the latest software before palm kicked the bucket? Is there still an app store of some kind? I will have to put Facebook on my wife's phone. But other than that we are email, text message heavy. Not a lot of demands.

Thanks ahead of time.
    What you will expect to come forth from your box from a Pre3:
    • A WebOS phone

• A small linux-embedded PC

• a small official app catalog

• Possibly some headaches

• A (mostly) loyal homebrew community and the small hope of OpenWebOS in the future

Dunno what to expect from the veer, but if fits anything like the Pixi, i'd get the Pre3 instead. Personally I'd look for a Pre2 or Pre+, with the difference mostly being clock speed and OS version.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Hello all,

Thanks ahead of time.
    If you don't want contracts get an unlocked android instead.(or the lumia 620/ upcoming 720)
    I can't recommend a phone with no official support.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Ok People,

Had this little guy up and running for about an hour. Love it. Really like this os, it is really very similar to the os on my blackberry playbook. I will be switching back to BB eventually but I like this thing a lot.

Also, it does something my BB phone could never do. I can now sync my hotmail calendar between phone, playbook, and computer.

Happy with the purchase and it woks with BB music gateway too!
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Veer. I use a Pre 2 on Sprint, and intend to keep it going as long as I possibly can. Good luck to you!
    Once you get used the the Veer in your pocket, you will have a hard time putting a brick in your pocket ever again. Yes screen size is small the phone size more than makes up for it. I love it so much I have 3 of them and my daughter has one
    Ok People,

Had this little guy up and running for about an hour. Love it. Really like this os, it is really very similar to the os on my blackberry playbook. I will be switching back to BB eventually but I like this thing a lot.

Also, it does something my BB phone could never do. I can now sync my hotmail calendar between phone, playbook, and computer.

Happy with the purchase and it woks with BB music gateway too!
    Good to see you enjoying your device so far 'Anglobadger', despite its size issues with it's super tiny 2.6'inch display. Let's hope you don't forget to install/download Homebrew onto your device, that will let you install patches on it plus it will make your device running WebOS more enjoyable to use. Please, let us know of your experiences with the Veer....
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 04/06/2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Once you get used the the Veer in your pocket, you will have a hard time putting a brick in your pocket ever again. Yes screen size is small the phone size more than makes up for it. I love it so much I have 3 of them and my daughter has one
    I'll tell you what, the fact I can respond to this with one hand and feed a bottle to my baby with the other is awesome. I like the charger/headphone situation my kids and dogs have broken numerous chargers and telephone jacks off in the ports. Magnetic connections work in this house.
    I had a veer like a year ago but i went ahead and installed 2.2.4 or whatever it is and bricked it so its broken in my room, and now i have a samsung galaxy note and recently bought a panada veer again for 50 bucks brand new. I cant wait to get it in my pocket now because my pixi feels really small compared to my note but this will feel even smaller lol