Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  1.    #1  
    I'm running a Veer with 2.2.3 on T-Mobile USA, plenty of patches, had it for about two weeks now and it's got a peculiar problem. It seemingly at random but always when I'm not using it will stop recognizing the SIM, showing the error message "SIM invalid" once I awaken it. The phone of course goes off the network when this occurs but still functions fine as a wifi device.

I've never had a problem with the SIM card on a phone before, and it's been used on both a Pre3 and an Android phone, so I can almost certainly rule that out. The solution so far has been to remove the SIM, keep it out for 15 seconds or so, then re-install it. The phone returns to normal. If I don't have that 15 second pause for whatever reason the phone doesn't seem to get the trigger that the SIM was removed and re-inserted, and thus needs to be read again.

Has anyone else come across this problem? I've done plenty of searches without finding any similar experience mentioned. Thank you for your time in advance.

Alex
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    This may seem like a silly question but did you unlock the phone or did you just put your tmo sim into an att locked veer?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    RumoredNow likes this.
  3.    #3  
    It's unlocked using the Dogbert process. Works fine on T-Mobile, gets 3G, no problems with connectivity save the above.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    I have something similar on my pre3. A reboot let the system reaccept the sim in my case. Pre 3 "Check SIM SOS Only"
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Pre+ with 2.1 here -- same symptoms, but just switching to airplane mode and back helps.
    I've got a Veer that did the same thing. My old AT&T SIM was really thin at the contacts, and the hard pins in the VEER had mashed the whole thing down. I got it to work better by wedging a piece of paper behind the SIM as I inserted it, and that worked for a while. (BE SURE to leave some of the paper sticking out, so that you can pull it out again. Otherwise you have to pry the SIM out carefully with a thin knife or something.)

What finally worked is getting a new SIM. The rep at the store agreed that the SIM was really damaged and I was able to get a replacement. It still didn't work quite right until I wedged another piece behind the new one just so. I'm guessing I may have pushed the pins in some trying to get it to work right.

Another caution: The paper makes it MUCH harder to get the SIM in the right position. You can push the SIM in farther than it would normally go and not get the right contacts touching. Just slightly below the plastic bezel thickness of the outer case is about right. Lower than that is where the eject spring would normally push it out again, if you didn't have it wedged in there with paper.

Good luck!

Now if I could just get all of the cool updates that all of the OTHER WebOS phones got I'ld be a happy man.

-Frnk
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the replies - especially your thorough one, Frnk. Hopefully this isn't a physical defect issue. I'm keeping an eye out for any other clues to a pattern, but a piece of paper may be the best option... Funny considering how much tech this thing has crammed in it.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoAlex View Post
    Thanks for the replies - especially your thorough one, Frnk. Hopefully this isn't a physical defect issue. I'm keeping an eye out for any other clues to a pattern, but a piece of paper may be the best option... Funny considering how much tech this thing has crammed in it.

Alex

T-Mobile may give you a new SIM to for free if you bring it in with the SIM invalid message, and explain whats going on. AT&T did that when I needed a new one, but since I have swapped yet again back to T-Mobile anyway.

Let me know what you find out because i'm considering getting a Veer in the future.

Also, how's the data speeds now with the refarming in process?
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    I have the same issue as frnk42 with an ATT SIM, same symptoms. Unfortunately, in my case, the replacement SIM was just as bad. I've gotten used to popping it out and putting it back in whenever this happens.
    i have a veer, but the horn does not sound
    I connect the adapter 3.5 and when I retire, the sound does not work anymore

what I can do
    anyone can help me???????????????????
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    T-Mobile may give you a new SIM to for free if you bring it in with the SIM invalid message, and explain whats going on. AT&T did that when I needed a new one, but since I have swapped yet again back to T-Mobile anyway.

Let me know what you find out because i'm considering getting a Veer in the future.

Also, how's the data speeds now with the refarming in process?
    If it gets any more frequent than now (once every 3-4 days) I'll ask T-Mobile about a replacement SIM. As for speed, it's great where I live in Orlando - get somewhere in the middle of 3G and 4G on speed tests. Quite fast.

Alex