webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Facebook app outdate, website is all text, alternative?
Facebook app outdate, website is all text, alternative?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 03/07/2013, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

So the Facebook app on the Veer, and I assume all WebOS devices, sucks IMO. The mobile site Browser takes me is lacking in features (lite.facebook.com). The Mobile version x.facebook.com gives me an error in the top header and doesn't load the rest of the page.

Are there any other links someone knows about, that displays better on our phones? I would love for x.facebook to work if at all possible, can I tweak anything to have it display properly?
Lee Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just use your browser. It works well.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use m.facebook.com but then realized it is the same as lite.facebook.com. Sorry this is of no help.
hangten10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Something must be goofy. If I go to m.facebook.com it displays fine.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callaway View Post
So the Facebook app on the Veer, and I assume all WebOS devices, sucks IMO. The mobile site Browser takes me is lacking in features (lite.facebook.com). The Mobile version x.facebook.com gives me an error in the top header and doesn't load the rest of the page.

Are there any other links someone knows about, that displays better on our phones? I would love for x.facebook to work if at all possible, can I tweak anything to have it display properly?
My Pre 3's Facebook app is still working like a champ and I just checked my TouchPad and its working perfectly fine too. Not an all webOS problem, must be a veer issue.
Rookie4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/08/2013, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

What about https://touch.facebook.com/?

Maybe it force FB to use the more functional site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by pattyland; 03/08/2013 at 02:07 AM.
pattyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I still think the webOS apps for Facebook are the best. Sure, they lack group functionality but the interface of Facebook Tablet vs Facebook on Android tablet = hands-down a winner for webOS.
The Pre 3 version is also better IMHO. Although I do like Facebook for Android *phones* and is clearly a bit ahead of the webOS version here and there, IMHO the webOS version is much easier to navigate around the different Facebook functions.

So for me the webOS apps (especially the tablet version) are a clear winner in comparison to Android.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

I tried (unsuccessfully) to post birthday wishes to a friend's wall today with the Facebook app from both my tablet and my phone; no error message on the tablet, but the phone app had the following error message: "Feed story publishing to other users is disabled for this application".

The apps apparently no longer work for posting updates with the changes Facebook made earlier this week; can someone else try, so we can confirm if the apps will be limited to display only going forward?
cuppa_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I don't even have the Facebook App on my iPhone... I use the FB Messenger with Notifications (there is a nice webOS App for that, nor?) and for the rest I user the webapp.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make a touch.facebook.com wrapper for webOS?
Old 03/08/2013, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppa_joe View Post
I tried (unsuccessfully) to post birthday wishes to a friend's wall today with the Facebook app from both my tablet and my phone; no error message on the tablet, but the phone app had the following error message: "Feed story publishing to other users is disabled for this application".

The apps apparently no longer work for posting updates with the changes Facebook made earlier this week; can someone else try, so we can confirm if the apps will be limited to display only going forward?
Yup for about 2 weeks now. And the TP app doesn't even bother to give error message
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Had the Pre 3, 2 and Veer all side by side this month. There's definitely something wonky with the Veer's 2.1.2 browser using x.facebook.com. It renders total garbage compared to 2.2.4 on the Pre's.

A shame since besides photo upload, x. works like a champ on the others.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ok after reading the other posts, I realised I didn't actually post anything via both TouchPad or Pre 3. I post a couple test posts via both my Pre 3 and Touchpad Fb app and still all working like champs.

Oh how I love seeing: via FacebookŪ for HP webOS
Rookie4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Pre3 FB app has been fine (well as fine as it has ever been), if people are having problems, have you checked to make sure it still shows up as an authorized device/app? I post pictures from the Pre3 app all the time.
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc likes this.
Old 03/08/2013, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
My Pre3 FB app has been fine (well as fine as it has ever been), if people are having problems, have you checked to make sure it still shows up as an authorized device/app? I post pictures from the Pre3 app all the time.
Did you try to post to someone else wall (well timeline)? The TP app doesn't show any error message but the post doesn't actually appear, the Pre app throw that :"Feed story publishing to other users is disabled for this application". Started on 02/21 for me
Everything else works fine: uploading photos, commenting, liking, posting to own wall.
Seems the disabled ability to post to others timeline for webOS
Old 03/09/2013, 06:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:

The apps apparently no longer work for posting updates with the changes Facebook made earlier this week;
Or apperantly you're now making assumptions for everyone? Pre 3 app and TP app for Facebook both work fine here.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 06:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Sure? Just tried to post on my gilfriends wall from my Touchpad, didn't work... Not even an error message :/

Old 03/09/2013, 08:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

x.facebook.com seems to work on my Pre - but gives me the same error message as above on my 2.1 Veer . Has anyone who forced their Veer to 2.2.4 tried the x.facebook.com site? Does it render properly with that version?
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 09:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Lol, I thought x stand for any letter... I've never heard of x.facebook.com, and it prints out warnings on my iPhone because Facebook haven't a SSL certificate... I think it shouldn't be used

Old 03/09/2013, 09:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
Sure? Just tried to post on my gilfriends wall from my Touchpad, didn't work... Not even an error message :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
Did you try to post to someone else wall (well timeline)? The TP app doesn't show any error message but the post doesn't actually appear, the Pre app throw that :"Feed story publishing to other users is disabled for this application". Started on 02/21 for me
Everything else works fine: uploading photos, commenting, liking, posting to own wall.
Seems the disabled ability to post to others timeline for webOS
Quote:

Facebook has disabled posting to someone else's wall with an app and the standard api calls:

https://developers.facebook.com/blog...th-open-graph/

The app would have to be updated to use a different method to tag the friend, but not post directly to someone else's wall.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Tweaks enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 10:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Or apperantly you're now making assumptions for everyone? Pre 3 app and TP app for Facebook both work fine here.
Or apparently you're making assumption about a functionality you didn't even try? Did you succefuly posted to someone else timeline lately? There are at least 3 ppl in this thread who can't post to other's wall

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0