Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hey everyone,

Since I've upgraded to 2.2.4 using Herrie's doctor, I've been eager to switch to a proper data plan now that I can enter the APN settings properly. I'm on quite a tight budget, but I got a good deal with 200mb, 150 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, evenings and weekends from 7, plus CID and VM, for $30 a month. 200mb isn't ideal, but it's hands down the best I could find within my budget.

Anyways, since I've activated the new plan, I've already gone through 10mb with very light usage (about 3 Google searches and loading 10 mobile sites or so). It's almost an entire megabyte per webpage at this rate. To help, I turned off push email for less important accounts and set my primary account to check every 30 minutes, turned off Twitter push notifications, but according to Netstat it's no better. In fact, my phone used up half a megabyte while in idle, AND in range of my home wifi network.

Anyone know why this is? Are webOS phones really this bad with data management? And why isn't my phone connecting to wifi by default? I don't need a ton of data, I'm always in range of a wifi network at home or school, I just want something that's usable when I'm commuting or out of range. At this rate though, I'll be out of data in a few days. What are your data conservation tips, is this kind of excessive data use normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
    Hey everyone,

Since I've upgraded to 2.2.4 using Herrie's doctor, I've been eager to switch to a proper data plan now that I can enter the APN settings properly. I'm on quite a tight budget, but I got a good deal with 200mb, 150 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS, evenings and weekends from 7, plus CID and VM, for $30 a month. 200mb isn't ideal, but it's hands down the best I could find within my budget.

Anyways, since I've activated the new plan, I've already gone through 10mb with very light usage (about 3 Google searches and loading 10 mobile sites or so). It's almost an entire megabyte per webpage at this rate. To help, I turned off push email for less important accounts and set my primary account to check every 30 minutes, turned off Twitter push notifications, but according to Netstat it's no better. In fact, my phone used up half a megabyte while in idle, AND in range of my home wifi network.

Anyone know why this is? Are webOS phones really this bad with data management? And why isn't my phone connecting to wifi by default? I don't need a ton of data, I'm always in range of a wifi network at home or school, I just want something that's usable when I'm commuting or out of range. At this rate though, I'll be out of data in a few days. What are your data conservation tips, is this kind of excessive data use normal?
    Most websites will load the "full" version on webOS instead of mobile version. A full version of a site can easily be 1MB including all images etc. You can play with the browser options to disable some items from automatically loading.
    There is a data on/off menu tweak in prepare that you can add. I tend to leave data off and hook up only when i'm away from a wifi router. I use it quite a bit on my pre- and I've been able to keep my data usage to about 150mb a month at most.