webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > GPS problems
GPS problems
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lee Callaway

Old 02/21/2013, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just got a Veer in the mail today to set up on Straight Talk. After a lot of searching, I found the Straight Talk APN wasn't working for my data, so I used an AT&T APN and all works great now. Mobile Hotspot wasn't working properly, so I downloaded Free Thether, works like a charm. Speed test show 5.22 mbs down and 1 up, literally twice as fast as VZW ever gave me on 3G, and I am paying 1/2 ($90 to $45 now), hopefully the service will prove to be good.

However I am having trouble with GPS. I have none. Nothing recognizes my location, despite the servicing being enabled. Has anyone experienced this on their Veer?
Lee Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have Location Services turned on with the proper permissions?

And careful with the tethering on ST (or so I hear).
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
You have Location Services turned on with the proper permissions?

And careful with the tethering on ST (or so I hear).
I thought I had it set up correctly. I took another look, GPS was on, but Google services was off. As soon as I turned google services on everything began to work, fast too.

I don't tether often, but I only do it to stream Netflix when I am having Internet troubles at home. I know I am going to exceed more than they want, I'm kind of testing the waters right now.
Old 02/22/2013, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Lee,

What APN/MMS settings did you use?

Could you post some screen caps?

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 01:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here they are

Last edited by Lee Callaway; 02/23/2013 at 01:49 AM.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/23/2013, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Those are Straight Talk settings all the way.

att.mvno stands for a carrier piggybacking on AT&T towers...

Thank you for the screen caps.
Old 02/23/2013, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callaway View Post
I thought I had it set up correctly. I took another look, GPS was on, but Google services was off. As soon as I turned google services on everything began to work, fast too.
Y'know, why is it the Google Services is so crazy critical to the Pre locking so fast? I want to say it's always been like that. I know it's aGPS, but what the heck did Palm do that the phone gets so dumb without it? Seems even with all data turned off, apps like nDrive still don't get a fast lock with GServices off. And in that case, how can GServices even be contributing anything?

Quote:
I don't tether often, but I only do it to stream Netflix when I am having Internet troubles at home. I know I am going to exceed more than they want, I'm kind of testing the waters right now.
Oh my. Netflix streaming. The ST Gods will surely disapprove.

At any rate, you'll have to let us know how that goes over at the Straight talk about Straight Talk thread in RumoredNow's signature. FYI, superstition states that ST is more data forgiving to folks on T-Mo SIMs.
Old 02/23/2013, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Y'know, why is it the Google Services is so crazy critical to the Pre locking so fast? I want to say it's always been like that. I know it's aGPS, but what the heck did Palm do that the phone gets so dumb without it? Seems even with all data turned off, apps like nDrive still don't get a fast lock with GServices off. And in that case, how can GServices even be contributing anything?

Oh my. Netflix streaming. The ST Gods will surely disapprove.

At any rate, you'll have to let us know how that goes over at the Straight talk about Straight Talk thread in RumoredNow's signature. FYI, superstition states that ST is more data forgiving to folks on T-Mo SIMs.
Straight Talk only has TMO sims now. You can probably still find some AT&T sims on walmart.com or feebay but America Movil is now exclusively using TMO. That includes Net10 and Tracfone. They started doing this Jan. 28 of this year.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Holy cow... the HoFo thread on that's gotten pretty long in the tooth. And a 1.5 GB cap (and I quote: for people abusing "unlimited" such as NetFlix users ) seems fast approaching.
Old 03/05/2013, 02:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Those are Straight Talk settings all the way.

att.mvno stands for a carrier piggybacking on AT&T towers...

Thank you for the screen caps.
Sorry for the late reply. Those are the settings that work for me, however StraightTalk has asked that I use different settings to use their network correctly. The APN settings I was given is apn.StraightTalkSIM.com, which only works for calls and text, but not data.
Old 03/05/2013, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. Those are the settings that work for me, however StraightTalk has asked that I use different settings to use their network correctly. The APN settings I was given is apn.StraightTalkSIM.com, which only works for calls and text, but not data.
OK I never heard of that setting and Googled it. It's the address of their help site for setting APN. They have the AT&T compatible or T-Mo compatible settings. Some tech support must have gotten the site name mixed up with the setting needed...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0