webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Thinking of getting a veer, but have some questions
Thinking of getting a veer, but have some questions
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/19/2013, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok, I know that I'm kind of late to webos party, but I was thinking of getting a veer just to have as a backup phone. So I have a couple of questions. Is it easy to transfer music to it? Is there still an app store (I'm not looking for any fancy app, just something for twitter and such)? Lastly what is a good price to pay for it? currently I use a wp7.5
Forgot to ask what kind of charger and sync cable does the veer use?

Last edited by reelon; 02/19/2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added question about the charger and cable
reelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes transferring music and files is easy. Just connect the proprietary magnetic cable to the phone, plug it into the USB port and the phone will prompt you to go into USB mode :-) This cable is specifically for the Veer and can also be used for charging. No additional software required for transferring files!

Since it's a proprietary cable, you might want to get a spare just in case. They go for around $ 10,- on eBay or Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pre-Veer-...bosnation0e-20

There are still apps, for Twitter I believe Sparrow and others would work on the phone but never tried myself (never really did much on Twitter until recently and didn't bother to add it to my phone yet). Check http://www.webosnation.com/webos-apps-twitter for some apps :-)

Last time I checked they go for around $ 100,- new in box.

Seems like they're going for around $ 80,- now
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...bosnation0e-20

For charging you might want to get a Touchstone charger, they go for < $10,- on eBay and Amazon and are really cool desktop chargers! I have one at home and in the office :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Touchston...bosnation0e-20

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 02/20/2013 at 04:22 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can vouch for it being pretty straightforward to add music. I just got a Veer and just used Windows Media Player to sync my library to it. The Veer pops up under the SYNC tab and you just drag and drop music. Press start sync and you're all done. The only thing I'm finding is the album art doesn't always seem to transfer. I've heard some folks have had success with MediaMonkey to address that issue but that was a pretty old forum. I might give it a try to see if it does a better job of putting the art on the phone.
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Do you need a special backing to use the wireless charging? Or is the phone ready to do it? For less than 10.00 it is great.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
Old 02/20/2013, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelon View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you need a special backing to use the wireless charging? Or is the phone ready to do it? For less than 10.00 it is great.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
Its ready to go
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Both my wife and oldest daughter have the veer and the Touchstone can be tricky when trying to charge. There is a very small sweet spot for how you set the phone on the stone. If you don't get it right on, it actually seems to drain the battery. So we normally use the suppied cable to charge them. I have a Pre 2 which works perfect on the stone.

My gripe with the Veer is that battery life is very short. Other than that it is like a stealth phone. You can stash it anywhere and no one knows. Very nice design. The slider is stiff at first but after a little while it works great even with one handed operation.

You will like the phone. There is nothing like WebOS.
Old 02/20/2013, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well I pulled the trigger and got me one off ebay. The move will interesting considering that right know I am using a titan II. Thanks for all the help. Will keep you guys posted on my experience.
Old 02/20/2013, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Congrats on the buy! The Touchstone can be tricky, though the sweetspot on mine is quite large, on my wife's it's a bit pickier. Could be the "sticker" with electronics on the inside of the back of hers is not properly aligned somehow but didn't check it yet to be honest.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
Old 02/20/2013, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
Both my wife and oldest daughter have the veer and the Touchstone can be tricky when trying to charge. There is a very small sweet spot for how you set the phone on the stone. (...)
Try to place the Veer half an inch too far up on the touchstone and just let it slide in position. The magnets will make sure it's hold in the right place.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/20/2013, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
Try to place the Veer half an inch too far up on the touchstone and just let it slide in position. The magnets will make sure it's hold in the right place.
+1

Yep... I just let mine slide down till the magnets sock it into place.

While you wait for your new Veer to arrive, be sure to read up on Preware so you can take advantage of all the HomeBrew goodness that's out there: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

And stroll around this forum for threads to help with set-up, customization, etc...

Welcome aboard, reelon.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: reelon
Old 02/20/2013, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
+1

Yep... I just let mine slide down till the magnets sock it into place.

While you wait for your new Veer to arrive, be sure to read up on Preware so you can take advantage of all the HomeBrew goodness that's out there: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

And stroll around this forum for threads to help with set-up, customization, etc...

Welcome aboard, reelon.
Thanks. It seems that installing the preware is straight forward. Looking forward for the phone to arrive.
Old 02/21/2013, 01:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

you can also use a multitude of apps to sync itunes playlists to non apple devices. Personally I have used itunes agent for years and have never had any issues syncing any size playlist to a device.

Phnx is the best twitter app (IMHO) for the veer, and the facebook app is passable as well.

welcome to the world of webOS!
Old 02/25/2013, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well my new veer is going to be here tomorrow, does it have visual voicemail or just the traditional?
Old 02/26/2013, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Traditional...

But you can have oh so many accounts from different providers. I hope you like the Synergy functions.
Old 02/26/2013, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

So I got the phone today and I am really liking it. It is a big change from the titan ii to the veer, to my surprise I am getting use to the keyboard pretty fast.
Trying to install the preware on the I get to the point where I need to download the novacom driver and it's going to start to download it but then it stops the download and tells me the installation for the driver fail. Any suggestions? I am using the desktop version of windows 8.
Thanks
Old 02/26/2013, 07:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

So I was able to download the drivers from the source webpage. I now have preware installed!! Webos is relly nice and fluid. I can see the hints that the android team took from it.
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/26/2013, 11:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I can see the hints that the android team took from it.
Such as Matias Duarte.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok, so have had sometime to use the veer. I really like the phone. The only issue is that the battery doesn't last to much. I have to charge it at least once or twice per, but I am a heavy user. It fits the bill as a backup phone. I wish the would have kept the development of new hardware.

Old 03/04/2013, 09:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

I believe there are some tweaks you can do. Off the top of my head you can dim the screen a bit more. You can also change the email settings. I set mine to check once every hour. I think Instant messaging is quite a hog too if you're logged into that. I believe the gov'nah app can help too. It changes out the default kernel and gives you a screenstate option where it detects if your screen is off so it slows your processor to say 500mhz but as soon as it detects it's on it fires it back up to 1ghz.
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Ok, so have had sometime to use the veer. I really like the phone. The only issue is that the battery doesn't last to much. I have to charge it at least once or twice per, but I am a heavy user. It fits the bill as a backup phone. I wish the would have kept the development of new hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
I believe there are some tweaks you can do. Off the top of my head you can dim the screen a bit more. You can also change the email settings. I set mine to check once every hour. I think Instant messaging is quite a hog too if you're logged into that. I believe the gov'nah app can help too. It changes out the default kernel and gives you a screenstate option where it detects if your screen is off so it slows your processor to say 500mhz but as soon as it detects it's on it fires it back up to 1ghz.
Do you have Dr. Battery installed? What does it say for Health of the Battery?

Govnah yields the most options if combined with UberKernel (UK not available if you Meta-Doctor up to 2.2.3 or 2.2.4, however).

I keep my screen at 25% (it has to be that high to get the keyboard lit), GPS off until needed and manual refresh on my eMail accounts...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0