webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Woke up this morning and my alarms were all gone
Woke up this morning and my alarms were all gone

Old 02/12/2013, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

How is that possible?
I wonder how many appointments Jon Rubinstein missed as a self-confessed Veer user...
And the lock screen also does not come up anymore.
Sometimes I think WebOS is just some unreliable crap.
Sorry for the complaints, but where if not here?

Christoph
cpickart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 02:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Woke up today, then I peed, then brushed my teeth and combed my hair...

Point is, it happens all the time, just not always to the same person. Nothing new. The database randomly hosing app settings has been a bug from day one, and it's probably something wrong with the implementation of Oracle's Berkeley DB, which is what Palm used..
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpickart View Post
How is that possible?
I wonder how many appointments Jon Rubinstein missed as a self-confessed Veer user...

Christoph
I'm on 2.2.4 on my Veer for over a year already and never had an alarm disappearing, so this could be something that only occurs on 2.1.2 or at least more frequent on 2.1.2?
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm on 1.4 and it's happened, and the same thing happened to someone on the Touchpad (3.0.5)...

Since I heard that openwebOS was given a different but still open-source DB due to "reliability issues", then we have the problem narrowed down to BerkeleyDB...
Old 02/12/2013, 03:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

It also happens sometimes on my Pre 3 although I still haven't found out what is causing this (see also What's up why palm/hp can't get alarms to work reliably).
Old 02/12/2013, 03:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't seen alarms just disappear. What I have noticed is that the luna service system gets tied up and things stop responding. So, the Clock app might show no alarms. Or, what I usually see is the Messaging app won't show messages or a particular chat. Restarting Luna, or a reboot, tends to fix it. I am keeping an eye out for a more permanent fix.

Have you tried restarting the device? Do the alarms show back up?
Old 02/12/2013, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post

Yes, I restarted, but after I reentered the one I missed this morning. After the restart this one is still the only
one, so I guess they are gone.
cpickart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

@dkirker: That reminds me, could you possibly track down where the problem is occuring in MojoDB? BDB claims deadlocks when a scheduled compact is run. I'm useless with GDB, so I don't even know where to start. Do you think compiling the open source code would work?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

This has always been an issue. I've had many WebOS devices and seems to happen on all of them from time to time. Even if the app isnt showing the alarm doesn't the alarm still work? Maybe someone can confirm this?
bimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Other apps like Glimpse suffer from lost settings, so the issue is definitely database-related and not 100% Luna alone, or, some of the apps accidentally overwrite "lost" but recoverable settings, clearing them permanently...

I'd love to see where this will lead as we investigate further
Old 02/13/2013, 07:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
@dkirker: That reminds me, could you possibly track down where the problem is occuring in MojoDB? BDB claims deadlocks when a scheduled compact is run. I'm useless with GDB, so I don't even know where to start. Do you think compiling the open source code would work?
Quite possibly! As long as it is API compatible. As long as it provides the APIs that the services expect, and is able to read/write the existing database.
Old 02/28/2013, 02:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
It also happens sometimes on my Pre 3 although I still haven't found out what is causing this (see also What's up why palm/hp can't get alarms to work reliably).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I haven't seen alarms just disappear. What I have noticed is that the luna service system gets tied up and things stop responding. So, the Clock app might show no alarms. Or, what I usually see is the Messaging app won't show messages or a particular chat. Restarting Luna, or a reboot, tends to fix it. I am keeping an eye out for a more permanent fix.

My alarms have been working for weeks w/o any flaw, but the last three days I have checked the alarm settings before going to bed and have found out that all were gone. After a device restart (via advanced reset options patch) the alarms showed up again. I can't remember having done anything special with my phone - only phone calls, calendar and mails.

On the first of these three days the alarm didn't go off. I woke up by accident (a few minutes late) and as soon as I have switched on the phone the alarm was ringing (can't remember if it occured before or after unlocking the screen).
Old 03/17/2013, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, I restarted, but after I reentered the one I missed this morning. After the restart this one is still the only
one, so I guess they are gone.
If it happens again, reboot before adding a new one. Mine disappear from time to time but rebooting restores them.
Old 03/18/2013, 10:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

I always set a second phone for wake ups just in case. Drove me nuts on how many times my kids woke me up saying, "i think your late". lol.

700th's Post.
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 12:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
I always set a second phone for wake ups just in case. Drove me nuts on how many times my kids woke me up saying, "i think your late". lol.

700th's Post.
I gave up using my veer for an alarm. I use my old sprint pre minus, it never lets me down.
Old 04/18/2013, 01:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
I gave up using my veer for an alarm. I use my old sprint pre minus, it never lets me down.
My Veer is actually very reliable! I'm running 2.2.4 and have no issues with my alarm. Each morning it goes off without issues. Since I don't like the alarm icon at the bottom of my screen all day, I just turn off the alarm in the morning and turn in on at night. Never failed to wake me up
Old 04/25/2013, 02:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
My Veer is actually very reliable! I'm running 2.2.4 and have no issues with my alarm. Each morning it goes off without issues. Since I don't like the alarm icon at the bottom of my screen all day, I just turn off the alarm in the morning and turn in on at night. Never failed to wake me up
You don't have to turn off the alarm to get rid if the icon, just slide the notification off your screen. The alarm will still be active.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 04/25/2013, 03:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
You don't have to turn off the alarm to get rid if the icon, just slide the notification off your screen. The alarm will still be active.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Hmmz for me it seems to delete my alarm I think... Will try that again sometime.
Old 05/23/2013, 02:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

with 2.2.4 I saw that, when you swipe away the alarm notification and have the clock app closed, then sometimes (not always, that is why it is hard to debug) it deletes all your alarms.

If you keep the clock app open, you can swipe the alarm notification and everything stays as is... that's my way to get reliable alarms form my Veer (but I had the same on a Pre3, too).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2013, 05:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
How is that possible?

Christoph
Rubinstein's Veer is probably running the awesome 2.2.5 build for his Veer.
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0