webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > So how exactly do I get one to work?
So how exactly do I get one to work?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By HoppyChris

Old 02/04/2013, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is a hopefully stupidly easy question to answer, but since I've only ever had a work-issued phone, I have no idea. How do I go about getting phone service for a newly purchased Veer?

So I purchase an unlocked Veer from Amazon, then what? How do I get it working and are there any carrier restrictions I need to know about? I'm pretty sure I could end up paying way too much, and want to avoid that if possible.
HoppyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Veer is GSM so you're bound to that. AT&T and T-Mobile in the US if I'm correct. VZW and Sprint are CDMA afaik and therefore won't work with the Veer.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/05/2013, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm pretty happy with Straight Talk's Bring Your Own Phone Plan.

Straight Talk About Straight Talk

Buy a SIM (website only) that is AT&T compatible and insert in in your Veer. $45 a month with unlimited everything. [Note: rumor is if you consistently exceed 2 - 3 GB a month they might terminate your service. I have not heard any horror stories lately...]

There are other resellers out there. Make sure they are using SIM. Some resellers use SIM, some CDMA.

Careful of T-Mobile or T-Mo resellers. In most areas you would only get EDGE speed for data. Check the T-Mo chatter in GSM forum to see if they have H+ in your neck of the woods. It has to do with their pesky 1700 MHz band that is only on T-Mo branded phones.

T-Mobile's Value Plans and Network Refarming for webOS Diehards

If you go with anyone other than AT&T you will have to manually enter APN and MMS settings to get (respectively) internet/data or picture messaging enabled. They should be able to give you the settings needed or just Google for them {"carrier Name" APN settings} and there is lots of how to in various threads around here for setting up APN/MMS under webOS.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/21/2013, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much!

For now I'm using the "put the SIM from your work blackberry into it" method, which will work until work turns that off!

I got a straight talk SIM to put in for the day that is needed, just what I was looking for!

It really is 100% unfortunate that HP stopped development, the Veer2 would have been amazing. As it is, this Veer(1) is so close, and then buggy.
HoppyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/21/2013, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quick answer for if you'll get quick speeds on a Veer, check this map:
Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

If people have seen T-Mo on 1900 MHz in you're area, you'll get their FauxG (which does beat AT&T speeds on ST as well, where available).
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/22/2013, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Funny how there is one and only one 3G on 1900 MHz sighting near me (from 145 days ago now) in a tiny little town and off the beaten path... Nothing where I live in a fair sized college town.

The GF is on T-Mo. Maybe I'll try her SIM in my Veer and see what tunes in... EDGE or H+.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0