webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Veer 2.1.2 vs Veer 2.2.4
Veer 2.1.2 vs Veer 2.2.4

Old 02/04/2013, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

I wanted to upgrade my veer to 2.2.4 but before doing so I wanted to know if it is worth it. So looking arround the forum here is what I've found:

2.1.2 Pros:
Fairly stable. Personnaly I've never had any real issues. Feel free to report any stability problems
Uber Kernel available: Allows fine-tuning of the CPU frequency and voltage which can make the phone smoother and keep the same battery life

Cons:
No Skype support
SMS lag
Facebook does not work with https (or very limited, but more of an app issue than Veer)
Device could freeze at startup displaying a blue background with clouds.
MP3 decoder could cut off the ends of long files.
Small issue with Video/Youtube player : 2mm messed up strip at the bottom of the video

Patches installed:
Screen unlocks when slider opens up just a little (patch available to correct this)
Insert new line instead of sending sms in SMS app when enter key in pressed (as it is located just under backspace key, it kinda bothers me, so I patched it)
GPS/Data toggles

2.2.4 Pros:
Skype support
SMS lag corrected
Bug fixes (Youtube/Mp3 players)
Speed?

2.2.4 Cons:
Phone may reboot when receiving/making a call (patch available, is it enough though?)
Same facebook https issue?
Some have briked their phone, but now that there is a better way of flashing it, maybe the risk is smaller.
Audio via USB dongle in not proper stereo (no problem via BT though)
No uberkernel

Suggested patches:
I can't help on that since I havent installed it yet

Feel free to bing up more points!

Last edited by zac206; 02/05/2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Update
zac206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

2.2.4 Audio via USB dongle is not proper stereo, in 2.1.2 it is. Via BT headset it's working fine though!

2.1.2 sometimes got stuck at "blue cloud" screen, 2.2.4 doesn't have this problem.

Battery drain on 2.2.3 was considerably worse on the Veer compared to Doctored 2.2.4. Battery drain on Doctored 2.2.4 is very low (0 to a few % overnight with 1-2 bars reception and 3G/WiFi off).
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
2.2.4 Audio via USB dongle is not proper stereo, in 2.1.2 it is. Via BT headset it's working fine though!

2.1.2 sometimes got stuck at "blue cloud" screen, 2.2.4 doesn't have this problem.

Battery drain on 2.2.3 was considerably worse on the Veer compared to Doctored 2.2.4. Battery drain on Doctored 2.2.4 is very low (0 to a few % overnight with 1-2 bars reception and 3G/WiFi off).
Thanks! I updated the post (removed the battery drain thing)
Thanked By: cpickart
Old 02/04/2013, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There's still ocassional quicker battery drain on 2.2.4 but not often. A reboot fixes that. I didn't have it recently so can't really track the cause either.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/04/2013, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

In 2.2.4 don't you have to give up UberKernel???
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You have, no Uberkernel as of yet due to source code not being released by HP. I'm sure a kernel expert could put it together but I personally don't have the knowledge.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/04/2013, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
In 2.2.4 don't you have to give up UberKernel???
And what do you gain with UberKernel?
Overclocking (which makes the battery go out faster) and some other stuff, which I didn't get how they make the phone better.
Old 02/04/2013, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac206 View Post
And what do you gain with UberKernel?
Overclocking (which makes the battery go out faster) and some other stuff, which I didn't get how they make the phone better.
It's not just the overclocking. There's a lot of control in there via Govnah. You can find a setup that doesn't drain battery, but gives better performance. It needs tweaking is all. There's that big old blue ? symbol you have to tap and then you get the Help for each tweak so you can see what they do and decide if you want to use it and how much of it to use...

Generally, I use less battery with my UberKernal/Govnah settings than running stock. I do also get a CPU overclock when it's mostly loaded (75% load on TP/Pre 2 or 85% load on Veer). Best of both worlds, IMHO.

YMMV

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 02/04/2013, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

A few things I've noticed since switching to 2.2.4 that I haven't seen reported elsewhere:

The bug in the MP3 decoder that existed up through 2.1.2 that caused the ends of long files like podcasts to get cut off, especially if you did any seeking within the file, is fixed in 2.2.4. This drove me nuts and alone was enough to make me want to stay with 2.2.4.

In the Video/YouTube players in 2.1.2 there is a bug that causes the video decoding to be messed up in a ~2 mm strip along the bottom of the video. This appears to be fixed in 2.2.4.

When streaming podcasts to my car stereo over bluetooth with 2.1.2 there would occasionally be 2-3 second dropouts that forced me to skip back to hear what was said. This problem has largely gone away with 2.2.4, sometimes there are audible glitches but not to the extent that it interferes with listening.
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Isn't there some difference in charging as well? When it reaches full charge on 2.2.4 does it behave differently to 2.1.2??
Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benh View Post
Isn't there some difference in charging as well? When it reaches full charge on 2.2.4 does it behave differently to 2.1.2??
Ben
No.
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I mean how do you get 2.2.4 to even install??? also Does it do TTS at this point?
Old 02/05/2013, 03:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
I mean how do you get 2.2.4 to even install??? also Does it do TTS at this point?
You can have a look here:
herrie82 | HP Veer webOS 2.2.3/2.2.4 update

But maybe Herrie could give you more information about the installation.
As for TTS, I don't know if the feature is available for the Veer.
Old 02/05/2013, 05:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
No.
I found where I read it:
2.2.4 touchstone charger cycling

You don't get this?

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 06:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:

Yes 2.2.4 offers TTS for the Veer
Old 02/05/2013, 07:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

If you follow the doctor process and update the uimage the doctor will update the modem, the touchpanel firmware, and the Tap-To-Share (A6 firmware). Which I have found to be 100% non-bricking (YMMV), the manuel method because the file system is in use can cause the A6 firmware to fail (YMMV)...

If you have any questions please post in the below thread:
webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
If you follow the doctor process and update the uimage the doctor will update the modem, the touchpanel firmware, and the Tap-To-Share (A6 firmware). Which I have found to be 100% non-bricking (YMMV), the manuel method because the file system is in use can cause the A6 firmware to fail (YMMV)...

If you have any questions please post in the below thread:
webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
I have a Doctor with updated uImage included already (I know you cannot include it in your script for a number of reasons ).
Old 02/05/2013, 09:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I have a Doctor with updated uImage included already (I know you cannot include it in your script for a number of reasons ).
The script (base script) does allow a custom uimage swap to happen, so if one were to include the updated uimage as part of the backup source, and as long as the they copied the uimage over with the rootfs and boot files. It will detect the uimage file and remove the stock version and replace it with the custom, creating a full Doctor (all detailed on first post of the doctor thread). The super script will take the base and convert it, so it assumes the uimage would have been already updated.
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
The script (base script) does allow a custom uimage swap to happen, so if one were to include the updated uimage as part of the backup source, and as long as the they copied the uimage over with the rootfs and boot files. It will detect the uimage file and remove the stock version and replace it with the custom, creating a full Doctor (all detailed on first post of the doctor thread). The super script will take the base and convert it, so it assumes the uimage would have been already updated.
I know, but the actual uImage cannot be provided here, nor it's creation is included in your scripts. Another member here was so kind to provide the updated uImage via PM, so I used that for my Doctor and of course your great script
Old 02/06/2013, 10:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

I upgraded to 2.2.3 thinking it would be more responsive, but it's not. It was smoother on 2.1.2 and overclocking.
vert3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
veer, webos 2.1.2, webos 2.2.4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0