Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 78 of 78
Like Tree6Likes
  1. #61  
    I have a HP Veer 2.1.2 that I bought about 3 years ago.
    I guess I bought it out of nostalgia; anyhow I only used it for a few weeks, something made me stop using it.
    Used and loved the Pre, the Pre2 and the Pre3: Pre3 a great disappointment as HP stopped supporting it, as you know..
    SO, my question is: What now about my Veer?
    There is so much info: Would my Veer be usable in modern terms?
    If so, can someone kindly give me a road map re upgrading etc please?
    My Veer is running 2.2.4, it feels more stable. Battery life is good. When you have a TouchPad you can use Touch-to-share.
    You can run the a webosDoctor to upgrade your Veer to 2.2.4.
    I can only give you a link for europe webosDoctor for Veer.

    -- Send from my TouchPad using Communities
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by feduchin View Post
    I have a HP Veer 2.1.2 that I bought about 3 years ago.
    I guess I bought it out of nostalgia; anyhow I only used it for a few weeks, something made me stop using it.
    Used and loved the Pre, the Pre2 and the Pre3: Pre3 a great disappointment as HP stopped supporting it, as you know..
    SO, my question is: What now about my Veer?
    There is so much info: Would my Veer be usable in modern terms?
    If so, can someone kindly give me a road map re upgrading etc please?
    Once you doctor it to 2.24 using the appropriate version for your model of phone, either US or Rest Of World, you follow the steps for bypassing activation and making security cert updates as well as any needed Google connections.

    These are all explained here so get familiar with the site. Focus on posts from Preemptive, he has links in his signature. And read the PivotCE articles which is probably our most current source of " PRPRPR. &$quot$;

    Many people use a Veer as daily driver, including me. Well it's sort if like a Sunday driver, because my Pre2 is the daily. Heh
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Mutoidi likes this.
  3. #63  
    Thanks to davodego and TJs11thPre for your kind and helpful replies.
    Firstly I guess I have to insert a SIM; except my current unit is a Lumia and uses a smaller one, so I'll have to wait for funds (being a pensioner..)
    Then I'll follow the instructions according to zac206 whose instructions (dated 02/04/2013) appear to be pretty comprehensive.
    THEN I might use it daily for a time and see how it handles things..
  4. #64  
    Are we still able to create threads in these forums?
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I doubt there are Android drivers for TTS. AfaikAfaikAfaik $TTS$ $uses$ $a$ $NFC$-$chip$ $but$ $probably$ $a$ $proprietary$ $protocol$ $by$ $HP$/$Palm$

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Essentially the webOS/HP 'NFC' is just a Bluetooth 'switch-on' mechanism with an added/specific URL-transfer ability, isn't it?
    The whole thing was a proprietary thing (NFC wasn't quite fully baked yet when the TouchPad was designed, or I think even when it was released) .. the TTS is done through the second A6 on the devices. Although there is code in the Android kernel to operate the second A6, I'm not positive if there's enough there to be able to make it work. There probably is all the right code available, considering that TTS does work in webOS with modified kernels.. but that doesn't mean it's made it to the Android releases, or that the kernel driver works correctly in them.

    On top of that, one would need to write a user-space module to listen to that, and there's no source code for that out in the wild. It does make me wonder if it would be *possible* to actually mod the NFC layer in Android to use it, but you'd still only be able to talk to other A6 based devices, which would probably make it just about as useful as TTS was in webOS :-S
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Once you doctor it to 2.24 using the appropriate version for your model of phone, either US or Rest Of World, you follow the steps for bypassing activation and making security cert updates as well as any needed Google connections.

    These are all explained here so get familiar with the site. Focus on posts from Preemptive, he has links in his signature. And read the PivotCE articles which is probably our most current source of " PRPRPR. &$quot$;

    Many people use a Veer as daily driver, including me. Well it's sort if like a Sunday driver, because my Pre2 is the daily. Heh
    I don't currently have a SIM for my Veer: Do I need one to upgrade?
    Does it matter where my Veer came from? It's a 2.1.2, isn't that enough?
    "These are all explained here" - where's here?
    Where's the 2.2.4 download?
    Guess I'm not right up-to-date with all this...
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by feduchin View Post
    I don't currently have a SIM for my Veer: Do I need one to upgrade?
    I don't have a Veer, but I don't think you need a SIM to upgrade. When you get one, your SIM will need to be activated as the lack of HP servers means this no longer happens from the handset. So maybe take your phone to the service suppliers shop and ask them to do this or maybe you could do it over the (other) phone. If you've seen the instructions for bypassing activation, well that is is the process that previously set up the SIM on the network. You can put any compatible SIM into an unlocked phone, but the SIM will need to be already set up on the network.

    Does it matter where my Veer came from? It's a 2.1.2, isn't that enough?
    There are unofficial doctors for ATT and RoW Veers, I guess that's the difference. Is your Veer from ATT or everywhere else (Guessing that's CDMA / GSM)? You're planning to get a SIM, so you must have a GSM phone.

    2.1.2 was the last official version for the Veer I think. It may be enough, but webOS has been officially unsupported for about... 4 years now? Unofficial support tends to focus on the latest version. So a patch to fix an issue will work for 2.2.4, maybe on 2.1.2, but on the older and quite different 1.4.5 (on models that pre-dated the Veer) you're probably out of luck. Obviously, some issues may be hardware dependent, but there are a few Veer enthusiasts with coding skills here. Everyone will tend to focus on the latest/last version and there is an unofficial 2.2.4 for the Veer.

    "These are all explained here" - where's here?
    "here" is this forum.

    Where's the 2.2.4 download?
    The 2.2.4 Download is here: https://herrie82.wordpress.com/ I'm assuming it's up to date and hopefully there's a working link there and you can check the md5 to ensure any mirrored file is legit. Herrie is on this forum and is developing LuneOS.

    I think the above is basically correct, but the are a few Veer-owning experts here who can correct me. If by any chance you are near Chicago, you could even go and meet some next Sunday.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/10/2016 at 09:15 AM.
  8. kancept's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by feduchin View Post
    Firstly I guess I have to insert a SIM; except my current unit is a Lumia and uses a smaller one, so I'll have to wait for funds (being a pensioner..)
    This is what I use, as I, too, have smaller SIMs, but I do like to move my SIM amongst the phone I want that day:

    SIM Adapter Set
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by kancept View Post
    This is what I use, as I, too, have smaller SIMs, but I do like to move my SIM amongst the phone I want that day:

    SIM Adapter Set
    Be very careful with adapters (EDIT: in general, not these specifically) in a spring loaded SIM slot like that found on a Veer. The seam between the sim and adapter can snag a contact pin and break it off during a removal from the slot. Then the phone requires major surgery or is garbage. I've known someone bork a brand new phone within 10 minutes of receiving it, trying to make the small one work. Be careful!

    I've read that just a piece of shiny (not invisible style) scotch tape across the entire surface can help, but do research that before attempting. Or just get the correct size sim on fleabay (or from your carrier if they still supply them)
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 04/13/2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Clarifying (by generalizing? Hmm...)
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  10. kancept's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Be very careful with these adapters in a spring loaded SIM slot like that found on a Veer. The seam between the sim and adapter can snag a contact pin and break it off during a removal from the slot. Then the phone requires major surgery or is garbage. I've known someone bork a brand new phone within 10 minutes of receiving it, trying to make the small one work. Be careful!

    I've read that just a piece of shiny (not invisible style) scotch tape across the entire surface can help, but do research that before attempting. Or just get the correct size sim on fleabay (or from your carrier if they still supply them)
    I've never had an issue with this set of adapters in my Veers. I have tried others, and yes, I have felt others snag, but not these, which is why I use this set.
  11. #71  
    just checking back in here, been doing Android lately these days. Took out my 2.2.4 Veer again a couple of days ago, and having a gps problem. I don't remember it being an issue before, so maybe it's a hardware thing, but maybe I just don't remember... Gps working for others on 2.2.4? I'm about to flash back to 2.1.2 to test it out.
  12. #72  
    Make sure you have Google location services disabled, because it no longer works. A GPS fix might take a few minutes at first, but it should work outside for sure.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Make sure you have Google location services disabled, because it no longer works. A GPS fix might take a few minutes at first, but it should work outside for sure.
    thanks. I'll check it out more. Nice to see you still here. Where are things at with Google in general these days, webos-wise. I remember before various patches, etc to get things working, but I'm kind of sensing it's all over now, (gmail, maps, contacts sync, etc). Thankfully, my certificate grabber seems to be holding up for Hotmail. Edit- not certificate grabber, but the digi global root update...
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    thanks. I'll check it out more. Nice to see you still here. Where are things at with Google in general these days, webos-wise. I remember before various patches, etc to get things working, but I'm kind of sensing it's all over now, (gmail, maps, contacts sync, etc). Thankfully, my certificate grabber seems to be holding up for Hotmail. Edit- not certificate grabber, but the digi global root update...
    What you mention all still works with the relevant patches. The Google thing is a location by wifi service that would get a 'quick & dirty' fix while GPS was looking for satellites. Setting up the basics is on the service pack link below.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    What you mention all still works with the relevant patches. The Google thing is a location by wifi service that would get a 'quick & dirty' fix while GPS was looking for satellites. Setting up the basics is on the service pack link below.
    Thanks. I got sync going with oauth instructions from that thread, but seems like there's an issue with email server settings. Incoming settings validate ok with pop3, server 995, but validation error on any smtp settings I try, and, even though incoming settings validate, whenever I try to refresh inbox, I just get yellow-triangle-exclamation-mark, with no error message.
    (btw - not sure what 'service pack' link you meant. I don't see anything'
  16. #76  
    There are links in my signature. Maybe you're using the forums app that doesn't show these I think. You should see the links in the post body now
    webOS Status Report
    The Zombie & Dead app list
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ourselves.html
    webOS service pack?
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There are links in my signature. Maybe you're using the forums app that doesn't show these I think. You should see the links in the post body now
    webOS Status Report
    The Zombie & Dead app list
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ourselves.html
    webOS service pack?
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015
    I see it now, thanks. I think part of the Google problem has to do with an email I got from Google about allowing access from 'less secure apps' or something like that. I granted access, but haven't been back to the Veer yet to check on it.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1whocs View Post
    I see it now, thanks. I think part of the Google problem has to do with an email I got from Google about allowing access from 'less secure apps' or something like that. I granted access, but haven't been back to the Veer yet to check on it.
    Yeah you have to allow that or it won't work. IMAP is preferred over POP.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions