webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Any way to get SIM card out of HP Veer?
Any way to get SIM card out of HP Veer?

Old 01/29/2013, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just got a brand new HP Veer from ebay, sent all the way to Australia, and in excitement, just jammed in my micro-sim to SIM adapter. It works, but now I want to use another SIM in it, which is where my stupidity emerged. The micro-Sim adapter was made of flimsy rubber material, and now the card is stuck.

I've tried everything, from pushing it further in so it pops out, and trying to get it out with tweezers. But it won't budge.
Does anyone know any way I can get it out? Any tricks? I've tried everything I can think of. Would there be a way to get it out by taking the phone apart, or is it even trapped when disassembled?

Would HP help out, even though I'm in Australia and they no longer sell the Veer?

Thanks and drats!
cjschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Ouch...

Because of the sealed nature of the SIM slot on the Veer this is a tough problem.

The best advice on this forum regarding SIM adapters is in this thread: PSA: MicroSIM Adapters & Your Pre 3

Disassembly may not be the answer. Look at the Veer Teardown pictures over at Internals: Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals

Even when you tear the phone down, the SIM slot is in a pretty solid cage...

Even with a standard SIM, swapping it in out of the Veer is a PITA.

If you had a real small gauge, stiff wire - like a paper clip - you might have some wiggle room down a side of the adapter since it is soft. Try that to engage the release spring and then CAREFULLY try to tweeze the adapter out. Don't force anything as a bent SIM slot pin would be a disaster.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I might try to see if you could get some tape wiggled in beside the sim, then maybe a feeler gauge to smooth it and press it against the sim and then try to remove it.??? Just my thought. Just make sure its on the non contact side of the sim. Tape is pretty strong in shear mode and you should be able to pull it out that way.
I would not use a paper clip as it is hard and conductive. If anything maybe cut a strip of an old credit card and slide it beside the sim. (but that would probably still be too thick.)
You 'll have to find some thin but strong plastic to slide inside.
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cjschris
Old 01/30/2013, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Ouch...

Because of the sealed nature of the SIM slot on the Veer this is a tough problem.

The best advice on this forum regarding SIM adapters is in this thread: PSA: MicroSIM Adapters & Your Pre 3

Disassembly may not be the answer. Look at the Veer Teardown pictures over at Internals: Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals

Even when you tear the phone down, the SIM slot is in a pretty solid cage...

Even with a standard SIM, swapping it in out of the Veer is a PITA.

If you had a real small gauge, stiff wire - like a paper clip - you might have some wiggle room down a side of the adapter since it is soft. Try that to engage the release spring and then CAREFULLY try to tweeze the adapter out. Don't force anything as a bent SIM slot pin would be a disaster.
I actually just ran into the same problem. My HP Veer arrived today and I jumped right in and placed my micro sim card into a rubber sim card adapter in placed it into the phone. Stupidly enough I placed the card in backwards and the phone wouldn't recognize it. Needless to say I tried everything to get it out. My solution was taking a safety pin and stabbing it into the top of the rubber sim card and simply pulling it out.
Zombienaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cjschris
Old 01/30/2013, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

sadly if it's caught that bad, the adapter may be stuck on a pin, many people have broken SIM pins in Pre3s using adapters and the Pre3 SIM slot is much easier to get at
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's what happened to me. Two pins broke off and now it not recognize any sim card.
Zombienaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombienaut View Post
That's what happened to me. Two pins broke off and now it not recognize any sim card.
I think I may have fixed it. Got some Tweezers like this:

And dug the rubber shell of the adapter enough until I could get a nice grip. Then pulled it out enough to just get it out with my fingernail.

I've put a regular SIM in and it still looks like it's working, so hopefully that's good news if it finds the carrier.

Thanks for the help anyway guys!
cjschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2014, 12:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mine was stuck so I used a pointy pocket knife (though any strong pointy object should do) and I stabbed it from the side and tilted (like a seesaw). My microsim adapter is plastic, not rubber.

Then, because I enjoy making my life difficult, I tried to see why the SIM card fit so snug (too wide or too deep). I slid the microsim adapter part way into the Veer. I was just trying to see if it was snug without the SIM and since the longer plastic part went into the tray first, I figured I had a little leeway. Oops. As you might guess, I put the empty SIM adapter in too far and got it stuck. I tried the plastic screen protector and paper/folded paper. I ended up pushing the SIM deeper into the tray to get stuck behind the second set of pins. But there was still enough room to play with. I got the microsim and, using tweezers to hold the adapter in place, I slid the microsim back into the tray while still inserted into the slot. once it was in I used the tweezers to slide it right out.
CaliPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
card, sim, stuck

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0