webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Mobile wireless charger for Veer
Mobile wireless charger for Veer

Old 01/24/2013, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just throwing an idea out here...

Having trouble with the somewhat short battery life of my Veer, last week I bought a mobile smartphone charger from Duracell, which unfortunately didn't seem to be compatible with the Veer. While holding that thing wired to my veer I was thinking that it would be much nicer to have a portable wireless sort of a touchstone charger: (if not too heavy) easy to carry, and no need for any cables! Due to the small amount of power that the Veer actually needs to get through the day the mobile battery doesn't have to be big, like the duracell's is.

Has anyone thought about this idea and may be has something to start with already??
DRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just bring my touchstone with me when I travel???
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

perfect travel companions
battery life with my 2 Panda Veers has been outstanding, but I love the Touchstone topping up the charge when I am on a long auto trip
Artichoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Inductive charging wastes precious electricity, so for on-the-go charging from a battery pack, it's much better to have a pouch with a built-in magsafe-style connector.

That way less power is converted into heat... in fact, heat is what shortens battery life, in this case affecting both the Veer and the battery pack at once.

For a vertical "drop in" pouch, spring-loaded "buckyballs" can be used to replace the blocky OEM magnets, while a charger pouch with the connector on the bottom can be hacked together from an OEM charger cable with no mods and an off-the-shelf backup battery device
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a portable boost block, it's no more cumbersome carrying around than a Touchstone tbh. I get what you're getting at OP, but the reality is, if you want a portable charger, then go buy one that is already on the market. You can find a 10,000 mA charger that's about the size of a cassette......(remember those? ) .....tape for $60 on Amazon. AnkerŪ Astro3 10000mAh Multi-voltage 5V / 9V / 12V 2A External Battery (Dual USB Output plus DC Output) for iPad mini, iPhone 5 (Lightning Cable not Provided), iPhone 4S 4, iPad 2, Samsung Tablets, PS Vita, NDS, NDSL and Most Android Phones: Amazon.c

It fits in my lunchbox, or my jacket pocket. quite nicely.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Inductive charging wastes precious electricity, so for on-the-go charging from a battery pack, it's much better to have a pouch with a built-in magsafe-style connector.

That way less power is converted into heat... in fact, heat is what shortens battery life, in this case affecting both the Veer and the battery pack at once.

For a vertical "drop in" pouch, spring-loaded "buckyballs" can be used to replace the blocky OEM magnets, while a charger pouch with the connector on the bottom can be hacked together from an OEM charger cable with no mods and an off-the-shelf backup battery device
Didn't realize about the waste of energy. I assumed it would be even better after noticing that the Veer charges significantly faster on a touchstone (saw in Govnah around 500mA, while with the same charger using the magnetic cable it only gets up to 350 mA), but off course that doesn't say anything about the usage of energy on the side of the charger.

To use one of the existing mobile chargers (that does work with the Veer), which I'm also okay with, it would at least come in handy to have a very short magnetic cable, but I'm afraid thats a long way to go...
DRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0