webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Veer Black Screen
Veer Black Screen
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluenote

Old 01/21/2013, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys so I need some help. The missus phone was working perfectly fine earlier today, I had it in my pocket and when I took it out the screens backlight would come on but they is no display so It is just black. I tried a hard restart, but that didn't fix the issue. I'm currently trying to boot into the webos recovery mode so I can pull all of her pictures off of the device. I had to uninstall the palm novacom drivers so that I can have it revert to pick up the device as a mass USB storage device.

So does anybody have any ideas on if this way of pulling the pictures off will work? on how to get the screen working again? or if it's just Dead and i'm SOL and I get to hear the missus yell at me for all of, well eternity?
usafandersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

There's a way to download the whole SSD image under memload in recovery mode. I'll look it up.

But I relember seeing at least 4 other people here whose screens died the exact same way...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it boots, there is a keyboard shortcut to go into usb drive mode... Even easier
Thanked By: usafandersons
Old 01/21/2013, 01:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
There's a way to download the whole SSD image under memload in recovery mode. I'll look it up.

But I relember seeing at least 4 other people here whose screens died the exact same way...
I'm fairly sure it boots. It flashes like i have notifications. If you know the keyboard shortcut that would work too, but the instructions for downloading the whole SSD image under memload would be helpful just in case. thanks for the help!!! it's super appreciated.
Old 01/21/2013, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
If it boots, there is a keyboard shortcut to go into usb drive mode... Even easier
looks like the keyboard has now stopped working as well... i was able to get it booted and it flashes the notifications but the kb shortcut doesn't work cause the kb doesn't respond.
Old 01/21/2013, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's Option+Sym+U if the phone is booted up and connected to computer... There's a second one as well, where you hold a single key while booting, and that was either T, U, I or L, i remember doing it once, but not sure which key...

I'll look up the memload guide next morning
Old 01/21/2013, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
There's a second one as well, where you hold a single key while booting, and that was either T, U, I or L, i remember doing it once, but not sure which key...
Vol up key
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
Vol up key
The volume up key puts it into recovery mode on start up. But i've been having issues getting windows or linux to pick it up as a USB device that way. windows load the palm novacom(bootie) drivers. I tried getting it to use drivers for a mass storage device but none of the ones i picked worked.

@Remy X i think the keyboard is shot now too... as i get no response when i hit Option+Sym+U. I know it booted cause i get the notification flashing on the bottom of the phone.
Old 01/21/2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

You need to get the Novacom package to communicate with the phone in recovery mode. Either use Universal Novacom Installer, download from opensource.palm.com, or run Doctor without the device plugged in.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: usafandersons
Old 01/21/2013, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You need to get the Novacom package to communicate with the phone in recovery mode. Either use Universal Novacom Installer, download from opensource.palm.com, or run Doctor without the device plugged in.
thanks GMMAn, I'll have to try this when i get home. hopefully i can get the data off the phone before the missus kills me..
Old 01/21/2013, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hold power key down and turn the ringer back and forth 3x to reset the Veer.
This sometimes happens to me (the black screen) and either I reset or I try to plug into computer and recognize as USB, then go out.

The screen has actually been fine after I do that so I'm never sure what causes the black screen (with the flashing notifications).
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/22/2013, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

@gmman - So that worked after i got the keyboard working again. Thanks for the help...

Anybody have any idea if you can actually capture the text messages off the device and import them out while in USB mode?
Old 01/22/2013, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafandersons View Post
@gmman - So that worked after i got the keyboard working again. Thanks for the help...

Anybody have any idea if you can actually capture the text messages off the device and import them out while in USB mode?
Those are all gone after Doctoring, but generally, if when you have Developer Mode enabled on the phone, you can use webOS Quick Install to back up objects.db, which holds a lot of other stuff too
Old 01/25/2013, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Those are all gone after Doctoring, but generally, if when you have Developer Mode enabled on the phone, you can use webOS Quick Install to back up objects.db, which holds a lot of other stuff too
Ok i haven't doctored the phone yet but i can get it to be recognized in webOS QI. how would i go about doing the backup of the objects.db? and how would i get this DB off of the phone?
Old 01/25/2013, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafandersons View Post
Ok i haven't doctored the phone yet but i can get it to be recognized in webOS QI. how would i go about doing the backup of the objects.db? and how would i get this DB off of the phone?
Under Quick Install, click "recieve file" and enter this as the file path: /var/db/main/objects.db

I'll also check to see if the browser has its own separate database under v.2 (Veer, Pre2/3), which does exist under v1.4 (Pre Plus/Pixi)

I hope you've already been able to download all the files from its USB drive partition..
Old 01/30/2013, 03:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Under Quick Install, click "recieve file" and enter this as the file path: /var/db/main/objects.db

I'll also check to see if the browser has its own separate database under v.2 (Veer, Pre2/3), which does exist under v1.4 (Pre Plus/Pixi)

I hope you've already been able to download all the files from its USB drive partition..
Alright so I got the file off. What if I want to view the file?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0