webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Is this phone worth it?
Is this phone worth it?
  Reply
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By michel_ng
  • 1 Post By bluenote

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/10/2013, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
patchiman's Avatar
 
Posts: 14
Is this thing worth it, or is it better to get an HTC one v for the same price?
patchiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,669
Apples vs oranges IMHO
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
PreJim's Avatar
 
Posts: 348
I love my Veer, love the small size and webOS. With that said I can't recommend a phone with no support :-(
__________________
WebOS the best kept secret out there!

Using the Veer on AT&T and loving it.
PreJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
patchiman's Avatar
 
Posts: 14
List of things I need in no particular order:
Good emulators (I hate mobile games and prefer old console games.)
OK GPS (GeoCaching)
4chan app
Google music (My Music Collection is on there)
Decent youtube
Decent gchat and texting
patchiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchiman View Post
List of things I need in no particular order:
Good emulators (I hate mobile games and prefer old console games.)
OK GPS (GeoCaching)
4chan app
Google music (My Music Collection is on there)
Decent youtube
Decent gchat and texting
Much as I love my Veer... I'm gonna say it isn't for you.

Reason: Heavy YouTube viewing... Veer's 2.6 inch, 256k colors, 320x400, 197 ppi screen won't hold up vs HTC One V's 3.7 inch, 16M colors, 480x800, 252 ppi screen

I do like the Physical QWERTY on Veer for text, email and the occasional forum post, if you can use a VKB you should be all set there. And an Android phone should have no problem integrating your Google cloud services.
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 270
Yes, the physical keyboard is the main advantage for me! I absolutly dislike typing on touchscreen ...
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/11/2013, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
patchiman's Avatar
 
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Much as I love my Veer... I'm gonna say it isn't for you.

Reason: Heavy YouTube viewing... Veer's 2.6 inch, 256k colors, 320x400, 197 ppi screen won't hold up vs HTC One V's 3.7 inch, 16M colors, 480x800, 252 ppi screen

I do like the Physical QWERTY on Veer for text, email and the occasional forum post, if you can use a VKB you should be all set there. And an Android phone should have no problem integrating your Google cloud services.
Is the Pre3 available for Sub-$100 unlocked?
patchiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchiman View Post
Is the Pre3 available for Sub-$100 unlocked?
in that price range, only used. ...with some visible scratches to boot.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
patchiman's Avatar
 
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
in that price range, only used. ...with some visible scratches to boot.
One V it is then. Thanks though.
patchiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3,739
Veer is all about:

keyboard
small size so can fit in pocket and take to gym or even travel with it as a spare phone that will show you all your recent emails and texts using webOS superb notification system
getting access to preware customizations
HSPA++--straight talk, H20 plans etc.
can easily be spare storage drive. Look up wifi file sharing app in preware to do this on your home network, box.com app etc will let you communicate to server; otherwise use the proprietary veer connector

It is not about:
viewing a lot of content because the screen is too small and the webOS browser is a tad slow and is breaking more and more while viewing links as there are no software updates.

What you could do, however, is tether to a tablet and do all your heavy lifting there. BestBuy is selling a refurb of first gen kindle fire, for example, for $99 right now. There may be a way to tether without paying a lot (look up free tether).
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/13/2013, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
tracks914's Avatar
 
Posts: 262
I can't say how many times Ive said I love my Veer. 2 weeks ago I gave my (21 year old) daughter a brand new white Veer to replace her aging BB. I asked her last night if she wanted to trade it for an Iphone... She said no way. It is so cool and small. The keyboard and spell check are taking some getting used to but she loves the size and the coolness factor.
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
I can't say how many times Ive said I love my Veer. 2 weeks ago I gave my (21 year old) daughter a brand new white Veer to replace her aging BB. I asked her last night if she wanted to trade it for an Iphone... She said no way. It is so cool and small. The keyboard and spell check are taking some getting used to but she loves the size and the coolness factor.
I suggest completely disable spell check by deleting smartkey from /etc/event.d ... these red-point-underlining and word replacing are pretty annoying ...
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 12:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
I suggest completely disable spell check by deleting smartkey from /etc/event.d ... these red-point-underlining and word replacing are pretty annoying ...
Surm uv uz needz der spalling halp.
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 5
Veer 2.0 probably would've been my ultimate phone with the perfect size and UI.

However, as is, the phone has quite a few issues, namely scrolling/stuttering lag through the contacts and delay when tapping the numeric keypad. A delay should never happen when tapping the numeric keypad.
vert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0