webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Brand New HP Veer How to activate please help???
Brand New HP Veer How to activate please help???

Old 12/31/2012, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi friends,

My friend recently got a brand new HP Veer 4g for me from USA. It is locked to AT&T. I am currently in India and want to use it with my local carrier. I have unlock code for the phone but do not have AT&T sim card. Please let me know what to do? How can I use this phone please help??

Thanks

AD
admonchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you have the unlock code you don't need an AT&T SIM card. Stick your new SIM in and the phone should prompt you for the unlock code.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: admonchi
Old 12/31/2012, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Actually, the phone has never been activated as it is completely brand new. I have heard that initial activation has to be through an AT&T sim....Maybe I am wrong. I have tried putting the sim of my local carrier however it does not prompt for the Unlock code. Please help.
Old 12/31/2012, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quick search yields this: How to activate HP Veer when using other carriers

I think there was another way where you enter a code on the First Use screen and it does something. From somewhere else:
Quote:
Enter either *228 Option 1 or *22899
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/31/2012, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by admonchi View Post
Hi friends,

My friend recently got a brand new HP Veer 4g for me from USA. It is locked to AT&T. I am currently in India and want to use it with my local carrier. I have unlock code for the phone but do not have AT&T sim card. Please let me know what to do? How can I use this phone please help??

Thanks

AD
Insert your SIM while the phone is off... Power on the Phone... Call up the dialer by electing to make an emergency call... Erase whatever is there (911) and use the keypad to enter your unlock code... Press send...

The phone is now unlocked.

You will still have Palm Profile setup to get through. For countries without an App Catalog that is a whole other issue.

See: Preware and Impostah...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just unlocked my Veer with the official ATT code but each code is unique to each phone. It's eight digits long and the seller sent it to me with the phone. There is another way to unlock that is free. Search the forums for Dogbert's unlock program. He devized a way to unlock any Palm phone. You have to follow the instructions very carefully and it is a bit more involved than the official ATT method but a lot of folks seemed to have great results with it.
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by admonchi, RumoredNow
Old 12/31/2012, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
I just unlocked my Veer with the official ATT code but each code is unique to each phone. It's eight digits long and the seller sent it to me with the phone. There is another way to unlock that is free. Search the forums for Dogbert's unlock program. He devized a way to unlock any Palm phone. You have to follow the instructions very carefully and it is a bit more involved than the official ATT method but a lot of folks seemed to have great results with it.
I'm a huge supporter of Dogbert's Method... It is linked in my signature and I evangelize it all over the forum...

But OP said he had an unlock that came with the phone. No reason yet to doubt it works... He just wasn't sure how to get it plugged in.

Old 12/31/2012, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help. Just one more question - I was using HP touchpad so I created a webOS account....Will it work??? Will there be any problem during registration as I am located in India??
Old 12/31/2012, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

It should be fine.
Old 12/31/2012, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by admonchi View Post
Hi

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help. Just one more question - I was using HP touchpad so I created a webOS account....Will it work??? Will there be any problem during registration as I am located in India??
It probably is preferable then to use the same Palm Profile as the TouchPad... You can share the same Profile between a phone and a TouchPad without conflict.

Any Catalog based Apps you have for TP will come to the Veer so long as they are compatible (with that phone model). Preware and HomeBrew Apps would have to be redone by hand.
Old 12/31/2012, 02:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

A big thank you to all you guys. You all are really awesome.

AD
Old 12/31/2012, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

A quick question - How do I disable / turn off DevMode on my HP Veer???

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0