webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Veer dead - can't seem to get WebOS Doctor
Veer dead - can't seem to get WebOS Doctor

Old 12/14/2012, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

I wonder if you can help. The Veer shows no sign of life and I am trying to get hold of WebOS doctor. When I go through the HP webos site and try to download WebOS Doctor, I get a broken link. I have found a link to some files on webos-internals.org but the Veer files I download don't seem to have any way to install them (I did extract them but the only directories that show up after extraction are Com, Meta-Inf and Resources. None of them seem to have any files that install the doctor.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions for where I can download an installable version of the doctor?

Thanks.
green4spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 03:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here’s the link to the Veers Doctor version WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals you’ll need to download.

And here’s the advice on doctoring (Install the latest version of HP webOS): Palm Support : Using HP webOS Doctor

Make sure to have Java 1.5 or latwer installed an don’t forget to backup your data!

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

If your Veer is really dead as you say, a Doctor won't do you any good. Have you tried taking out the battery for a few minutes and trying to power it on again?

If it doesn't boot after that, try putting it into forced USB mode, because that's the only mode in which a Doctor will work
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 05:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Taking out the battery will be a little difficult … Opening the little Veer reveals little parts, modular replaceable battery | webOS Nation

How to put your device into forced USB mode: Hold down the power button and flip the ringer switch back and forth 3 times.

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
How to put your device into forced USB mode: Hold down the power button and flip the ringer switch back and forth 3 times.
It will only force reboot, you have to press and hold up-volume key on booting to put your device into recovery mode. After that you can use doctor
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Really dead how?

No screen? Does anything display ever?

Does it connect to the computer and get recognized?

Is it stuck at 0% battery and won't charge?

The Doctor is a Java.jar file that just runs if you have Java installed on your PC. Double click it. It is executable. No need to unpack.

It will execute, draw a window for GUI and then search that the correct device is connected via USB for that specific Doctor version.

Accessing recovery mode is difficult for Veer as part of the process is a battery pull and Veer is sealed, requiring partial disassembly for access to the battery. I would not try that at this point.

If your computer fails to recognize that Veer is connected we will have to explore alternate strategies...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

My wife's Veer has a similar issue. It was sitting on the desk, screen on. the screen went out as it normally would but never came back on. I have let it sit for a week, removed the battery for a while, tried to force a reboot, connected it to the pc, all for naught. Screen never comes on. no sign of life at all. No question mark, nada.

I'm open to suggestions!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Try these.

Tips for waking a dead Veer

Using the Veer on AT&T and loving it.
PreJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Really dead how?

No screen? Does anything display ever?

Does it connect to the computer and get recognized?

Is it stuck at 0% battery and won't charge?

The Doctor is a Java.jar file that just runs if you have Java installed on your PC. Double click it. It is executable. No need to unpack.

It will execute, draw a window for GUI and then search that the correct device is connected via USB for that specific Doctor version.

Accessing recovery mode is difficult for Veer as part of the process is a battery pull and Veer is sealed, requiring partial disassembly for access to the battery. I would not try that at this point.

If your computer fails to recognize that Veer is connected we will have to explore alternate strategies...
Thanks all for your many and varying replies.

When I say the Veer is dead, I should explain that it is not functional. However, when turning the phone on, the screen does light up. It only ever shows a gray backlit screen with no other text or icons visible.

WebOS Doctor: When I try and get to WebOS via the HP site, it works through the login and finds my account, but is unable to find a link to WebOS Doctor that is live. I have attempted to use the AT&T Veer link at WebOS Internals in order to get hold of the app. Whether I run the app or save it to the machine, I end up with the same result: a window open with three folders: com, meta-inf and resources. No way to install the software.

Assuming that I did not need to install the Doctor software, I connected the Veer by USB and turned it on. The computer (a Win 7 Pro machine with a 32 bit installation and loaded with Java 7 update 9 - nothing happens with my Win 8 Pro machines when I attach the Veer!) recognised the device and installed the driver. The Veer made a little tinkle as if it had received a text message. But the screen was still not showing any text or pictures - just the faint glow I described earlier.

And that's as far as I've got. I have not tried to remove the battery but I did leave the phone sitting on my desk for over a week, and can only assume the battery was fully drained at the end of that time. still not joy when plugging it in again.

Sounds like it may be time for a new strategy? Thanks all for your help. The Veer is my daughter's phone and she would be thrilled to get it back in action.
Old 12/22/2012, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by green4spinach View Post

When I say the Veer is dead, I should explain that it is not functional. However, when turning the phone on, the screen does light up. It only ever shows a gray backlit screen with no other text or icons visible.

WebOS Doctor: When I try and get to WebOS via the HP site, it works through the login and finds my account, but is unable to find a link to WebOS Doctor that is live. I have attempted to use the AT&T Veer link at WebOS Internals in order to get hold of the app. Whether I run the app or save it to the machine, I end up with the same result: a window open with three folders: com, meta-inf and resources. No way to install the software.

Assuming that I did not need to install the Doctor software, I connected the Veer by USB and turned it on. The computer (a Win 7 Pro machine with a 32 bit installation and loaded with Java 7 update 9 - nothing happens with my Win 8 Pro machines when I attach the Veer!) recognised the device and installed the driver. The Veer made a little tinkle as if it had received a text message. But the screen was still not showing any text or pictures - just the faint glow I described earlier.

And that's as far as I've got. I have not tried to remove the battery but I did leave the phone sitting on my desk for over a week, and can only assume the battery was fully drained at the end of that time. still not joy when plugging it in again.

Sounds like it may be time for a new strategy? Thanks all for your help. The Veer is my daughter's phone and she would be thrilled to get it back in action.
I feel for ya, same for my windows 7 (32 bit) (("window open with three folders")). I also was @ an impasse with attempting to run the doctor so i downloaded ubuntu (watch not to partition ur hard drive) and loaded the doctor from there for my touchpad. Ubuntu gave me the option to open folder w sunjava 7(? I think) and started the doctor. Seemed like a long way around to get the doctor to initialize, but it worked. I don't know how much the doctor will help if you aren't able to get the device into Recovery mode as described above. Good luck
ulmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by green4spinach View Post

Somehow your system has been configured to open the file as a ZIP. Make sure the file extension is .jar and not .zip.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 01:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Right-click on file, "Open With" > Java...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have taken the suggestion of one of the respondents and loaded up Linux on a machine and then downloaded the JAR file. It too would not open except as a zipped file. So I changed the permissions on the file so that it could open as an exe and used openjava 6 to open the file.

As a result, WebOS Doctor opened up and went through the process of setting up language, etc. It is now waiting for the Veer to plug in via USB. Of course, the Veer is plugged in but WebOS Doctor does not recognise that. So it is waiting for the phone to be plugged in and the NEXT button remains grayed out.

To get the Veer to be recognised, I have tried pressing the R+SYM+ White block method, and I have tried starting the Veer with the power and volume buttons pressed down, and I have tried pressing the power button while toggling the silent button.

None of these methods have got the Veer to connect to WebOS Doctor.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your steady stream of advice. Much appreciated.
Old 12/22/2012, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

You need to install Novacom. I don't think the Linux drivers come with Doctor. Get them at opensource.palm.com.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
veer, webos doctor

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0