webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Using Veer without a SIM
Using Veer without a SIM

Old 12/10/2012, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just to make sure I'm right on the method...

To use a Veer without a SIM card/data plan... you need to...

Start the device, bypass activation, all that jazz...

Then get the Preware goodness going...

Then use Impostash to get a Palm Profile going...

Anything I'm missing?

And also, will I be able to slap a SIM in there some other time, and have it work fine?

Sorry for the newbie questions
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Using a smartphone without sim is like using a car without wheels

But sure, its possible!
michel_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
Using a smartphone without sim is like using a car without wheels

But sure, its possible!
True... but I spend 99% of my time in range of wifi, and cellular signals around my area are just plain terrible.
Old 12/10/2012, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I used to use my old Pre- as an Ipod type device when I was out of the country. I didn't want to risk roaming fees so I brought it instead. It wasn't activated. It worked great.
Now that I have a spare Veer, I have it set up for just WIFI and it works great too.

But I would suggest you get a cheap phone plan, no data and just use wifi for data. I have been doing that for 2 years now and rarely regret not having a data plan.
It's always nice to have a phone if you need one ( 911?)
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: webos_ftw
Old 12/11/2012, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
I used to use my old Pre- as an Ipod type device when I was out of the country. I didn't want to risk roaming fees so I brought it instead. It wasn't activated. It worked great.
Now that I have a spare Veer, I have it set up for just WIFI and it works great too.

But I would suggest you get a cheap phone plan, no data and just use wifi for data. I have been doing that for 2 years now and rarely regret not having a data plan.
It's always nice to have a phone if you need one ( 911?)
I might just do that (get an uber cheap phone plan)... Also on the 911 thing, just putting in a SIM card, would (in theory) allow me dial 911, provided I had a cell signal. But I don't think I would rely on that

edit... Also, does someone with Straight Talk know if you have to keep on the $45 plan with the SIM only option? Thanks.
I really need to start reading more... "*Straight Talk SIM does not work with the $30 All You Need Plan."

Last edited by webos_ftw; 12/11/2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12/11/2012, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I thought you could dial 911 without a SIM? I dunno, but with no SIM you get the message "no SIM, emergency only" or something like that.

I figure the radio functions regardless of SIM, SIM just gives the phone carrier/account information?
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Straight Talk will only keep you on an active plan at the $45/month level if you "Bring Your Own Phone."
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I thought you could dial 911 without a SIM? I dunno, but with no SIM you get the message "no SIM, emergency only" or something like that.

I figure the radio functions regardless of SIM, SIM just gives the phone carrier/account information?
That could be... it really depends on the phone (I think), some phones won't lock onto a signal without a SIM (usually just factory unlocked devices)...

Quote:
Straight Talk will only keep you on an active plan at the $45/month level if you "Bring Your Own Phone."
Thanks
Old 12/11/2012, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know all my webOS devices do the SOS only option, unlocked and locked devices.

Like I said never tried it to see if it works, but that's the message it gives me. (was switching between devices a lot when I was having my SMS issues, and still using one device w/o SIM)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 12/11/2012, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It is the Law in the US that you can dial 911 from any cell phone that has power and is in range of a cell tower irregardless of SIM/valid carrier plan or not...

What does vary is the accuracy of the "Fix" that is allowed. Without a SIM and/or service they only need to use triangulation off of nearby towers and report your location within 300 meters.

911 operators view the caller ID as (911) XXX-XXXX for all cell phones without service and have no way of calling you back if you get disconnected for any reason.
Old 12/11/2012, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
It is the Law in the US that you can dial 911 from any cell phone that has power and is in range of a cell tower irregardless of SIM/valid carrier plan or not...

What does vary is the accuracy of the "Fix" that is allowed. Without a SIM and/or service they only need to use triangulation off of nearby towers and report your location within 300 meters.

911 operators view the caller ID as (911) XXX-XXXX for all cell phones without service and have no way of calling you back if you get disconnected for any reason.
I've had a couple phones before that didn't offer that :-/ Now if they could do that for home phones
Old 12/11/2012, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

Didn't know the last part....

911 at least in my state is sketchy from a cell phone, goes to CHP first so there are all kinds of issues with calling 911 from a mobile, one of the reasons we still have a land line
Old 12/11/2012, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
I've had a couple phones before that didn't offer that :-/ Now if they could do that for home phones
Home phones without service should be able to send "soft" tones and thus reach 911 as opposed to the "hard" tones needed to dial for a pizza.

Age of equipment might have some bearing on usability for cell and land line equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Didn't know the last part....

911 at least in my state is sketchy from a cell phone, goes to CHP first so there are all kinds of issues with calling 911 from a mobile, one of the reasons we still have a land line
That is the struggle, to generate sufficient information along with the call to place it with the most appropriate PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point)...

Wireless 911 Services | FCC.gov
Old 12/16/2012, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Steps to bypass activation and use with just wifi: At the first screen to put SIM Card, using the keyboard type: BZ (those are the buttons for #*). dialer will appear. When the phone dialer appears use the screen to type: 3386633# and press dial. The phone will restart and you don't need a SIM card to use the phone. Use wifi for using like an ipod touch.

Amazon.com: HP Palm Veer 4G P160 Unlocked GSM Phone with QWERTY Keyboard, WebOS, Touchscreen, Wi-Fi and GPS - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

is this anything?
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It's a Panda Veer for $99.88 but does not say if it is BNIB or used...

Westbiz on Amazon shows new for $85 (also a Panda) and with the bundle deal you get a touchstone and a Pre AC plug + data cable (to power the touchstone) all for $98.92... That's a pretty good deal, IMHO.

Amazon.com: HP Palm Veer 4G P160 Unlocked GSM Phone with QWERTY Keyboard, WebOS, Touchscreen, Wi-Fi and GPS - White: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 04/03/2013, 09:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
Just to make sure I'm right on the method...

To use a Veer without a SIM card/data plan... you need to...

Start the device, bypass activation, all that jazz...

Then get the Preware goodness going...

Then use Impostash to get a Palm Profile going...

Anything I'm missing?

And also, will I be able to slap a SIM in there some other time, and have it work fine?

Sorry for the newbie questions
I too would like to know if I can insert a sim afterwards because I own the veer as a backup for my pre3 and would like to be able to do that...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2013, 10:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

I/f you are looking for a cheap plan red pocket is the way to go

Go Red Pocket | Unlimited cell phone plans | Prepaid wireless phones
anglobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2013, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have been using tmo $30 plan. it only comes with 100min but I get 5gb of data and unlimited sms mms for $30/mo. I have that sim in my veer and my main sim (at&t) in my pre3. I use the veer as a backup, and it works well. tmo 3g speed around me is 5-8mb sometimes I tether it to dl a large file cuz my home internet is 1/2 the speed! Love it and right price for a backup!! If only tmo worked at my summer home I'd use it as my main phone.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2013, 01:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Anyone knows how to update apps on a Pre 3, which has been normally activated in the past, but now doesn't have a SIM anymore? I only have a microsim these days.
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2013, 02:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

There's almost nothing you can't do over WiFi, including updating those apps. That's how all of my webOS phones are operating right now, except the rare occasion I turn on the phone radio in my Pre Plus.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0