webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Straight Talk and HP Veer questions
Straight Talk and HP Veer questions

Old 12/05/2012, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am not very savvy (apparently) setting up the Veer on Straight Talk. I need HELP! Please. I cannot access my email and I am not sure if the APN settings are correct. It keeps telling me that they are wrong but I tell it to change them anyway. I am really new to this phone and I don't know what to do. I have had this phone for a year and never used it because of the data charges with ATT. So I got Straight Talk so I can use this phone but I cannot get all of it to work. No email. It says my login credentials rejected. Update your username or password. I assume it is the same as my computer's since it is the same mailbox. But I don't know. I am tired of trying to find info on the web and I have spent a better part of a day trying to get this thing to work properly but to no avail. Thanks.
meandmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

does other data functions work?

Your e-mail has nothing to do with being on straight talk. Who is the e-mail account provider as well, as proper setup varies based on provider.

Like I said first thing is to verify data is working...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can send and receive texts and can connect to the web but other things such as downloads do not work. I cannot download my app store and cannot open any emails. I am not sure what all this means. Do I need to just delete my current email account on my phone and then try re entering it? There is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it on things that do not work.
Old 12/05/2012, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
does other data functions work?

Your e-mail has nothing to do with being on straight talk. Who is the e-mail account provider as well, as proper setup varies based on provider.

Like I said first thing is to verify data is working...
How do you verify data is working exactly?
Old 12/05/2012, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

If you can open a web site and navigate around then data works... Alternatively if H+ is lit up next to the signal strength you have a data connection.

Open the Launcher > Setting tab > Accounts

Check that all your accounts are set up properly with correct passwords.

Here are the dialer manual settings I've been using on ST with no issues.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: meandmo
Old 12/05/2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

It has everything just like you show but it doesn't say READY. It keeps telling me that these settings are invalid and I tell it to set up anyway and then it says I will not have data connection if they are invalid. Also if I am doing anything with the phone and someone is trying to call me, it will not let me know!! I have missed 2 calls in the past hour trying to get this thing to work. I have had this phone for over a year and never used it. I am about to decide not to use it again and go buy me a phone that is not so complicated. It also seems to lock up a lot. So I am really disappointed in this HP Veer.

The only way that I know someone called me is they leave a message and it lets me know I have a message. If they don't leave a message I suppose I just missed a call.

There is an E beside the bar graph.

Last edited by meandmo; 12/05/2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12/05/2012, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

E means Edge or 2.5G...

I seem to remember having to tell it set up anyway and forcing it in TWICE before it would stick. Try a reboot after each time you force Set It Up Anyway and it might stick after the second time.

One of Veer's quirks if I remember correctly.

BTW - it IS unlocked from AT&T correct???
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, it is not unlocked. I bought the ATT compatible sim card from straight talk thinking that would be good enough. Is that what may be wrong? I will try applying the apn changes twice. I'll see if that helps. A lot of my icons (facebook, app catalog, and games) have the yellow triangle on them. I can access Facebook from the web but the app won't work.
Old 12/05/2012, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

With the AT&T Straight Talk SIM the phone doesn't need to be unlocked, I've used both a Veer and a Pixi Plus with mine with no problems and neither were unlocked. I also see the thing where it claims that the settings are invalid when you set up the APN's, just tell it to use the settings anyway and it should be fine. If you're able to access Facebook over the web browser then your data connection must be working. That it is showing an 'E' next to the bars also indicates that, without a data connection I think it shows a little 'x'. In order for the FB app to work you'll need to add your account information using the 'Accounts' thingy from the System page of the application launcher. While you're in there you can also try to figure out why your email isn't working, maybe you mistyped your password or username or something like that? Which email provider are you trying to set up?

One more thing: are you signed into a Palm profile? You'll be able to see that in the 'Accounts' application. It's kind of tricky with Straight Talk because the data connection won't work right off the bat when you first start the phone up, maybe something got messed up in the initial setup.
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2013, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

i keep having trouble setting up the apn for my hp veer with straight talk ive tried multiple different settings and the never work!! any help?
Austin Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2013, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Details would help. Unlocked device? Which ST SIM?
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2013, 12:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

I had some issues getting the phone app to save the custom settings. It's easy to overlook the saving part and when you do it right the operation result isn't always reported clearly.
n1900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0