webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > HP Veer On Straight Talk
HP Veer On Straight Talk

Old 11/29/2012, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is my first post, but I am wondering if anyone has activated a Veer on straight talk. &

1) How is the coverage ( areas with service, customer service, data speed)
2) Is there any way to mask the fact that you are tethering

The Veer will be my 3rd Palm device and my 1st 4g. I'm going to choose between At&t and straight talk.
(& if possible can it work on T-mobile?)

I just unboxed this little bad boy and eager to use it. SO any info asap would be greatly appreciated.
PrePixiVeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrePixiVeer View Post
This is my first post, but I am wondering if anyone has activated a Veer on straight talk. &

The Veer will be my 3rd Palm device and my 1st 4g. I'm going to choose between At&t and straight talk.

I just unboxed this little bad boy and eager to use it. SO any info asap would be greatly appreciated.
Coverage is the same as AT&T, ST uses their network. Just no roaming. Speed is also the same as ATT.

Customer service is poor.

I believe FreeTether does not show up as tethering. However, if you poke around some message boards, you will see that ST has a mysterious data cap. They do not tell you what it is, but if you exceed it, they shut off your data. People thought there was both a monthly cap, as well as a daily cap, that should not be exceeded.

EDIT:

Per petbull: I was never able to get MMS working 100% of the time.

Last edited by jc-Treo; 11/30/2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: additional note
jc-Treo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Veer works well on ST. Sometimes there is a delay in MMS, but other than that, same as ATT service. As stated above, no roaming.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Outgoing MMS usually works for me (at least to Twitter), incoming I've never had working.

Pre3 here.

I'm good with the data speeds usually, I use FreeTether a lot.
We had a problem maybe a month or two ago, where people had to constantly reboot their phones or log out of the data network and back in to get it to work, but that seems to have gone away.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Veer is my daily driver and I use ST.

Voice/data/SMS/MMS all work for me. I'm almost never without H+ speed. One area way out in the country forces me to edge, but that spot isn't very large and I hardly ever go through there.

The freetether App in Preware automatically masks your tethered use to appear as if it is coming from the phone. I've used it for WiFi and USB tethering with no problems. If you don't tether a lot, then you won't have a problem with data police. Reports are consistent 2GB+ months get you noticed.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Veer is my daily driver and I use ST.

Voice/data/SMS/MMS all work for me. I'm almost never without H+ speed. One area way out in the country forces me to edge, but that spot isn't very large and I hardly ever go through there.

The freetether App in Preware automatically masks your tethered use to appear as if it is coming from the phone. I've used it for WiFi and USB tethering with no problems. If you don't tether a lot, then you won't have a problem with data police. Reports are consistent 2GB+ months get you noticed.
Do you get in trouble if you go over 2gb if you don't violate the tos? Like if it's all form webpages and emails
PrePixiVeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

if you unlock it, you can put a T-Mo sim in. I had my Pre3 on ST first; now i'm trying T-Mo. I'm in Atlanta, one of the earlier markets, and the coverage here still stinks. it's at EDGE most of the time, and the 3G range is very short. You really need to be near a tower. And the switching back n' forth VACUUMS batteries dry. ATT HSPA+ is everywhere, and they're already movin' on to LTE, which should free up H+ bandwidth as new phones activate and move up.

I may switch back to ST if the coverage doesn't improve this month. They said by end of year it should be done here, but if this is done, then so am I.

Forget ATT direct; it's just too pricey vs. STalk, as long as you are ok with 2G data limit. Take advantage of wifi wherever you can to reduce your data usage. If you're not doing a lot of video, 2G is a decent monthly allowance.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2012, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you get in trouble if you go over 2gb if you don't violate the tos? Like if it's all form webpages and emails
From everything I read on various forums, the answer would be yes.

Back when I was trying out ST, people were saying the limit was like 2GB/month or 100-200MB/Day. No one was exactly sure, because there is not hard policy that ST has published.

That is just my recollection and things may have changed.

In general, ST should be cheaper than ATT. For me, I needed to have an ATT account for another line, and it was cheaper to add a line to ATT than have a separate ST line.
Old 12/01/2012, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
If you read the TOS it says no streaming music or video... It is hard to imagine you will go over 2GB browsing forums and checking eMails...

There is the NetStat App available in the App Catalog Preware to help you track your usage whether you are tethering or not... Chances are pretty good you will never have to worry about data use. I don't. I've been on ST since April, 2012 and have had no problems. I tether every once in a while. There was one month the home internet was down for a week and I tethered a lot and still didn't reach 2GB.

Also some extra info is bandied about in this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/gsm-no...ight-talk.html

Last edited by RumoredNow; 12/02/2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12/02/2012, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

NetStat is apparently in Preware not App Catalog. Thanks for the tip.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/02/2012, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
NetStat is apparently in Preware not App Catalog. Thanks for the tip.
Oops... as we get older our memories often fail us first.
Old 12/02/2012, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I didn't know about that app, so I'm glad you mentioned it
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!

Tags
long live webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0