webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Please, 2 super easy questions
Please, 2 super easy questions

Old 11/29/2012, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey, thanks for all the information in the forums, I've tried to read as much as I can on these forums before bothering anyone.
But just wondering:

1. The Veer I just bought is brand new in box, will I need to update it? Should I? Are there issues or reasons why I shouldn't?

2. Is there a free texting app over wifi for the Veer in the webos store?

Thanks a million for any help.
AndroidN7User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

1. If it offers you an OTA update, then just go for it..
Offical version for the Veer are 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 (one is US the other "rest of the world", so depends on where your Veer comes from). There is an inofficial update to 2.2.3/4 in the forums. I won't recommend that unless you really feel you need to try that...

2. Don't understand what you want to have...? Free texting in you write text messages with some device (like PC) and send them with the veer? I don't know if there is something like this, I don't think so.

Or do you want free texting as in instant messages? There is AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk support already in the synergy messaging app... just add your accounts. There is inofficial patch in the forums to add much more instant messaging stuff to it. There is an whatsapp app somewhere in the forums, too. (webos 2.2.4 would offer skype also )
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
1. If it offers you an OTA update, then just go for it..
Offical version for the Veer are 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 (one is US the other "rest of the world", so depends on where your Veer comes from). There is an inofficial update to 2.2.3/4 in the forums. I won't recommend that unless you really feel you need to try that...

2. Don't understand what you want to have...? Free texting in you write text messages with some device (like PC) and send them with the veer? I don't know if there is something like this, I don't think so.

Or do you want free texting as in instant messages? There is AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk support already in the synergy messaging app... just add your accounts. There is inofficial patch in the forums to add much more instant messaging stuff to it. There is an whatsapp app somewhere in the forums, too. (webos 2.2.4 would offer skype also )
GREAT! Thank you for your reply. 1. Sounds like I'll be updating to the official 2.1.1.
and 2. I was indeed talking about just normal free texting from veer to other people using different cell phone carriers, I use Google Talk on my Nexus 7 and it works great, I'll use that!
I really appreciate the response, webosnation.com is awesome!
P.S. After reading this, if you (or anyone) have 2 seconds and have any tips or tricks for the veer, I'd appreciate those as well!
Old 11/29/2012, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

There are also Google Voice apps available in the App Catalog, like SynerGV v1 or Voogle 3.0.
Old 11/29/2012, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Veer View Post
GREAT! Thank you for your reply. 1. Sounds like I'll be updating to the official 2.1.1.
and 2. I was indeed talking about just normal free texting from veer to other people using different cell phone carriers, I use Google Talk on my Nexus 7 and it works great, I'll use that!
I really appreciate the response, webosnation.com is awesome!
P.S. After reading this, if you (or anyone) have 2 seconds and have any tips or tricks for the veer, I'd appreciate those as well!
Welcome new user, please have a chance to install the homebrew application to your phone that way you could enjoy all the goodness of homebrew for your veer. And about the free texting on WebOS there isn't such an application available, don't know if Skype app has that functionality on WebOS(if it does, you might need to add credit to text).
Old 11/29/2012, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great, thanks for the tips guys. Can't wait to get my phone!
Old 11/29/2012, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There is MojoWhatsUp as webOS unofficial WhatsApp client.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 11/30/2012, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, I highly recommend installing Preware... and have a look at the inofficial google maps app and stuff. You should wait a little with patching though, so you know what patches are really necessary for you.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

if you know what a persons carrier is, you can always text for "free" over wifi via email.
for verizon people, just send an email to xxxyyyzzzz@vtext.com where xxxyyyzzzz is their phone number.
every phone company has this feature, see here:
The Complete List Of Text Messaging Email Addresses | EmailTextMessages.com
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Veer View Post
Great, thanks for the tips guys. Can't wait to get my phone!
this statement leads me to believe you don't have the phone in hand yet. So here's some info to consider while you wait.

the webOS software includes an IM app already on it. the icon is a little blue/white text balloon like in a comic strip. You'll see it in among the apps, and you can touch/hold-to-hilite/drag n' drop it to the 4-icon quick access bar at the bottom of the screen if you want it there. (all app icons can be rearranged by touch/hold-to-hilite/drag n' drop)

When you first sign on to your phone you'll be asked to create a webOS/Palm user profile. That essentially gives your phone a unique name and pairs it with your phone's ID at this site:
https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface (bookmark that so you can visit it when needed)

Once that's done, you'll be able to add "accounts" to your phone. Basically, any existing email boxes, IM profiles, logins, etc. The webOS synergy will let you add like a dozen different mailboxes, and you can add/delete them at will under Preferences/Accounts

You can set how often it checks mail for each box (limit its checks to save battery) and you choose for each account you add, whether to pair contacts, messaging, calendar, etc. (example: mine checks mailboxes at 3 gmails, 1 hotmail, & 1 yahoo, but only shares contacts/calendar from 1 gmail, and IMs from 2 gmails. i default the 'sync' to google so their servers hold my backup if the phone ever crashes or needs a full reset aka "doctoring")

It pairs to google/gmail remarkably easy, and you can link different profiles from the same contact in the contacts list. When you do this, you'll see that no matter where someone IMs you, it will come up in the same thread. (like SMS texts and google chat IMs come up in one "conversation". They're differentiated by their icons so you do see its source)

Preware is basically the 'homebrew' app catalog. It is a great idea to install it.
There is also "webOS quick installer" aka WOQI v4.4 i think is latest. This is something you install on your computer, then use to link your phone (via USB cable) and install software as well as make more advanced changes to your phone should you choose to get into that. (i used WOQI to install Preware, then Preware to install apps/patches 'over-the-air')

These are both essentials for a webOS user, which you're about to become. The 3rd essential is THIS WEBSITE RIGHT HERE.

Visit here often; comb thru the threads, and remember that the development here has a steep curve because half the people here I think are also developers. So a problem described in 2010 may already have a solution somewhere else, developed in 2011-2. Sometimes it takes some digging. (But this site is NOT the type of forum that berates you with "search it yourself!" growls. Everyone here is very helpful, because we all want to support webOS, and we're the only 'family' we have, as corporate developers slowly lose sight of us, blinded by the big 2 OS's)

You are getting a very cool little phone that has more functionality than it would seem. Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy webOS as much as we do.

Last edited by TJs10thPre; 11/30/2012 at 11:18 AM.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Man, you guys are awesome! TJs10thPre, thanks for all the information. You're right about this website, there's just nothing about webOS out there but haters and for a split second (this is going to sound stupid) so many people said webOS is dead or webOS has fallen apart, that I thought...wait, is this phone even going to work?? haha
Thanks again for the help everyone.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0