webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Anyone switch back to Veer from Pre3?
Anyone switch back to Veer from Pre3?

Old 11/15/2012, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Now that Pre3 is somewhat affordable, I got one about a month ago. However, it reboots all of the time, it even rebooted just opening the browser which has never happened before. I know the Pre3 has plenty of connection issues with Wifi and cellular data. I switched back to my 2.2.4 panda Veer and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone else has come back to the little guy after being frustrated by Pre3.
msmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm frustrated by the Veer I am using, but I don't have time right now to fix my Pre3 issue.

The Veer still works and isn't bad, but I am now carrying two phones, this Veer has a lil of the touchscreen freak out issue too. Carrying, and charging two phones is a pain.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, but not voluntarily. Pre3 busted, Veer was the only affordable option on eBay. I like it well enough to hold me over until the next big thing.
grappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 05:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi there,

I have a Pre3 a week now, before that over a year a Veer in daily use.

Did not have a single reboot on my Pre3. The better battery, the better speed, better network reception and of course the bigger display let me not miss the Veer too much. Besides, my female cousin took immeaditely away from me

If the Veer would run like me Pre3 I' d dismiss the bigger screen easily and be happy about the Veer's form factor which I'd really like. But the Veer had quite a few bugs i did not encounter yet on my Pre3 like the screen input lag i.e.

What puzzles me, here in this thread now and also in the Veer WebOS 2.2.3/4 thread I often read about problems related to network reception and reboots. On both phones both did never bother me. Might it be, that it depends on the network type in use. I am in Germany, maybe the Veer and Pre3 do worse in US celluar networks? Just wondering....

LK
Lebenskuenstler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebenskuenstler View Post
Hi there,

I have a Pre3 a week now, before that over a year a Veer in daily use.

Did not have a single reboot on my Pre3. The better battery, the better speed, better network reception and of course the bigger display let me not miss the Veer too much. Besides, my female cousin took immeaditely away from me

If the Veer would run like me Pre3 I' d dismiss the bigger screen easily and be happy about the Veer's form factor which I'd really like. But the Veer had quite a few bugs i did not encounter yet on my Pre3 like the screen input lag i.e.

What puzzles me, here in this thread now and also in the Veer WebOS 2.2.3/4 thread I often read about problems related to network reception and reboots. On both phones both did never bother me. Might it be, that it depends on the network type in use. I am in Germany, maybe the Veer and Pre3 do worse in US celluar networks? Just wondering....

LK
Reboots are 2.2.3/2.2.4 specifically and might have something to do with proximity sensor or screen (we're trying various patches now to see what might be causing it), seems to be fine on 2.1.2/2.1.1 for some reason.

2.1.1/2.1.2 has some other bugs though as the delay when sending SMS, screen delay, "blue cloud screen" etc that 2.2.3/2.2.4 doesn't have.

I love the form factor of the Veer, it's fine for me and I use it every day. I have some Pre3 now as well but still need to get it activated.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used to get the screen blackout problem on calls with the 2.2.4 Veer until i took off the Skinomi screen protector that was on it and it hasn't happened since. I never got the rebooting (Luna?) that others have reported with the 2.2.4 Veer, I just couldn't end calls on my side many times and would have to wait for the other party to hang up or do a hard reset with the power button and the volume rocker for the screen to come back on.

I found the best recipe for me for upgrading the OS on the Veer is using the 2.2.3 files that I had originally on the Veer I got off Ebay with the 2.2.4 Meta Doctor script - as I used to get the screeching with the 2.2.3. version but not with 2.2.4. A 2.2.4 Veer is much smoother and faster than the 2.1.2 version even with an Uberkernel in my opinion.
msmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have two Veers, one Panda and one black. The Panda has been a little trooper, I love that phone, it even survived a swim in a glass of unsweetened tea and survived! I find myself drifting back to it quite often, though I do enjoy my Pre 3 as well.

The Veer is like a trusty ol' friend, just can't leave it behind...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use my veer all the time, especially on days full of meetings.... easier to stick in your pocket and move between offices. I'm always afraid I'm going to damage the Pre3 when sitting down and it's in my pants pocket.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Tweaks enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantid View Post
I use my veer all the time, especially on days full of meetings.... easier to stick in your pocket and move between offices. I'm always afraid I'm going to damage the Pre3 when sitting down and it's in my pants pocket.
Thats why my Pre3 lives in a generic BB softcase.

The Veer is tiny in the pocket though, def fits better, but gets lost under my wallet some times.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/16/2012, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

One thing, speech quality is much better with Pre3. But I don't know why. My cousin was with now her Veer at visit, still the form factor is awesome. Really like it. Good thing I have a spare Veer left and I am not going to give it away.

And yes, best method of updating 2..2.3/4 is meta-doctor script, but not the super-veer script.
Lebenskuenstler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebenskuenstler View Post
One thing, speech quality is much better with Pre3. But I don't know why...
Really?

I've found Veer to have excellent voice quality in calls. The person on the other end comes through crystal clear with volume to spare. Thanks to the noise cancellation mic, callers on the other end say my voice is 5x5 as well. Speaker phone works great too.

Hard to imagine (for me) that Pre 3 is even better. Veer is the best call quality cell I've used, bar none.

Or do you mean some voice quality other than calls???
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've been thinking about it. The Veer has always acted a little loopy for me. It's great... until I ask a lot. Meanwhile, my Pre 3 is just sorta slow in comparison to the others. So I may settle back into the ole' Pre 2. It's not as sexy as the others, but it runs like a horse. I'm using a Straight Talk SIM so switching back and forth is easy.
n1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1900 View Post
I've been thinking about it. The Veer has always acted a little loopy for me. It's great... until I ask a lot. Meanwhile, my Pre 3 is just sorta slow in comparison to the others. So I may settle back into the ole' Pre 2. It's not as sexy as the others, but it runs like a horse. I'm using a Straight Talk SIM so switching back and forth is easy.
Yeah... My Pre 2 just keeps plugging along as well. I love it for everything except phone calls where the volume seems to be lacking. Fortunately I don't blather too much on the phone so it is only an occasional inconvenience.

I too am on ST and enjoy swapping the ole SIM card around to suit my mood/needs. Sadly I'm down to 3 phone models now. I just traded a Treo Pro to xandros for a spare Pre2... Maybe I'll take another look at Nokia E7 and see if I can get a deal...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 05:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Did the switch back two times.
I got a Veer right after it was released, used it and liked it. Then my Veer got some hardware issues and needed a repair. This took 5 months.. yeah.. great service HP/Palm. :-( In that time I bought a Pre3. I was deeply disappointed by that device, because it can not really open a webpage... I switched back to my Veer the second it arrived back from repair, but it was not really restored yet and had to go again. At the meantime some people managed to get their Pre3 working better with some heavy modifications (especially the system optimization patches from rmau are imporant and to DISABLE!!! compcache). With that I used my Pre3 for about 9 months or so until the back cover and also parts of the front were cracking and the whole device felt like it was falling appart. My Veer was back again in the meantime and collected dust, so I switched back to the Veer again and compared to the Pre3 it still feels blazingly fast, even without overclocking. Don't know how they could mess up the Pre3 that much... but I always was afraid to open a webpage on that device and needed to close them again ASAP otherwise the device would bog down beyound being usable. On the Veer I can even open multiple webpages. This is really a step forward.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Thats why my Pre3 lives in a generic BB softcase.

The Veer is tiny in the pocket though, def fits better, but gets lost under my wallet some times.
Picspleasepicspleasepicsplease...

There is some case in form factor like that to Veer and/or Pr 3?

Best Regards...
Old 11/21/2012, 02:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'll try to get some pics up, but it's not a case anything like that, just a generic fabric and fake leather slide in case similar to this but different... I bought it at a local electronics store, so I don't have a direct reference link

Old 11/21/2012, 02:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think this is the exact case I am using, the phone sticks out a very little bit, but not much. In store I paid under 10 for it 3 years ago (fit the original Pre in sprint case)

FRYS.com*|*Cellet
Old 11/21/2012, 02:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have had Pre3 for a year, and it seems that homebrew patches do cause random resets. So I have now tried to keep its software to stock. Microphone seems to wear out. Got another one for my kid, this hangs once a week or so (have to remove the battery to reset).

Kaido
kaidoloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 11:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

I go back to my veer when I know I'll need to use free-tether. I have UK Pre3 and can't get ATT HSPA+, so the Veer it is.
darkoman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 12:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

had no problems with my veer or pre 3. used my veer more than the pre 3 untill i lost the veer when i dropped it in the ocean at my work.

been without the veer for more than 6 months but i did love the veer more than the pre3. i just liked the size. easy to carry, pocket and i guess lose it. if it had a front cam (even tho i have barely used it for skype), i probably would have never gotten the pre 3

wife bought me a samsung sg2. very nice but i like a physical keyboard and so after playing with it for about a week, i went back to using my pre3

today i finally broke down and bought another new one on ebay for a good price. cant wait to get it.

Last edited by c_legaspi; 01/24/2013 at 12:36 AM.
c_legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0