webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Weird behavior
Weird behavior

Old 11/05/2012, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Heythere!

My girlfriend is experiencing some weird bugs (?) on her veer lately.
At some points when she wakes it up using the keyboard (sliding it open), she has pretty hard delays and some weird behavoir of the touchdisplay-input (pressing on a certain button does hit 2cm above that and so on).
I already deinstalled all the patches with the help tool from Preware because I thought it was my mistake by patching it (even though I did this nearly a year ago). I would try to doctor it, but I never was able to make a backup using the default backup system. She has no Internet Data Package on her carrier so I turned that off from the start. Using w-lan does not work for the backup either. So I'm pretty much stuck because she does not want to lose all her information/sms/contacts (which means no doctor) and hope you guys & girls can help me here to look less of an *****.
I did use the search but didnt quite find what I was looking for and really need help because she cannot use her phone properly.

Thanks (:

Last edited by 5letterslong; 11/05/2012 at 11:20 AM.
5letterslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd suggest rebooting and doing a hardware diagnostics first. They're available in the menu of the Device Info app. Do the Touch Sensors one and see if there are problems.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

I checked this yesterday and everything was okay.
All the touchsensors work properly. Only sometimes like now it doesnt work at all. It senses something but not the way you want it to. If something like this would happen on my desktop computer Id say I have a virus... If you know what I mean...
as an example: I want to turn over a page in the main menu and it doesnt swipe at first. After a few seconds it swipes back, forth, forth, back and flickers. Its always different. Like I said, really weird.
At times it works as if nothing ever happened and at other times it just freaks the hell out...
Rebooting seems to solve the problem for some time but does not erase it. As soon as you slide the keyboard open to unlock/wake it up you have the same problem as before. Also I have to say it does not always happen when you slide it open. I have no clue on which point it starts to behave that way...
Hardware-reboot is the only solution I came up with until now...

thanks for the reply (:

Last edited by 5letterslong; 11/05/2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11/05/2012, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have the same problem sometimes usually locking and unlocking helps to solve this.
I think it is comming from something running in the background (do not mean apps), I think the ard reboot is not needed luna restart should be enough.
krushaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

hasnt been underclocked by accident has it? tried govnah to see what its showing?
Old 11/05/2012, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the replies so far (:

@ geekpeter: as far as I know its not underclocked but I can check govnah. what parameters do you need to know? because I don't know at what point the veer might be underclocked...

@ krushaaa: the problem is that the veer is so unusable at this point that the hard reset is the only option. luna restart might work but in most times I cannot navigate at all
Old 11/05/2012, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5letterslong View Post
@ krushaaa: the problem is that the veer is so unusable at this point that the hard reset is the only option. luna restart might work but in most times I cannot navigate at all
Sounds like some code, somewhere, is stuck in a loop. I wonder what it could be...

If only one of the guys here could tell us if there is a system monitor script that can log the CPU usage and memory of every app, several times a minute, so that we could go back to the logs and see if it's a system process or an app that is causing this
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

How bout just using the button on the side to wake it up instead of sliding it open. Any difference?

Using the Veer on AT&T and loving it.
PreJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Which sidebutton do you mean? The powerbutton? As far as I know it works fine. The problem only seems to occur when she slides it open.
Old 11/07/2012, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I sometimes have a problem similar to this when I pull the phone out of my pocket and I notice the screen is already on.(maybe the slider operated in my pocket.) I just use the power button to shut off the screen then on again and all is good again. Just a little glitch I have gotten used to. (Maybe happens once e every week or two)
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 06:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

thanks for all the replies and thoughts but there seems to be no solution to this problem except working around it by using the phone somehow different I'd like to know if someone knows a solution to the other problem: Backup, so I can doctor it.

Since the very first day we weren't able to make a backup on the specific palmprofile of my girlfriend. she never had a contract for internet data so I turned data usage off right away. I tried to backup her profile by using the official synchtool by palm many times but it always stops with "failed to synch" when its halfway done. After that the synch is turnend on even though it cannot synch because she has no connection to the internet. If one turns it off you get asked whether you want to turn it off and delete all the saved data which is pretty normal but what data was saved? any at all? I don't know. Then something gets deleted and after closing the synch tool and turning it on again, synching is showed as "on" for no obvious reason.

I do use save/restore from preware and it works fine and it works on her phone aswell but sadly it does not save the contacts, notes and messages...
My question is, do you have any idea how to get her veer to synch (by force?... :/ )
She is already thinking about changing the phone because the phone is nearly unusable with the known problems. She does not want to unless tha veer makes her and I don't want her anyway (diehard webosfanboy :S)

thank you all
Old 11/08/2012, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

I automatically back mine up every night using WIFI.
My Touchpad backs up the same way. If I add to my calendar on my phone, it is also added to my Touchpad the next day. I can't see why yours won't do that, but you have to be in wifi range for it to happen.
Old 11/08/2012, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

this is the point I dont understand either. ofc we are in wifirange, else we wouldt get to the first half of the synching... it just stops for no reason
Old 11/09/2012, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Could it be a profile problem in the cloud?
Old 11/09/2012, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you can't perform a backup you should really look to export the contacts off of the phone see here
Guide: Export your contacts to .CSV on Pre and Pixi

After exporting (and verifying all data) you should look to doctor and start on a clean bill of slate and then see how the phone works.

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
HardBeatZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 05:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

if it was a profile problem in the cloud how could one check this? can you log into your profile somewhere online and Check what ins all stored in this cloud? i really want this working... since she does not want to lose all her messages, notes and stuff. thanks for the contact export thread hardbeatz! i will definetly look into that when there is no other way! thanks again for your Support!

edit: she told me that its getting worse... I really need to know how to back up all of her notes, messages, contacts etc
she loves her veer and I do too. damn this hp for abandoning us
please guys. someone needs to know something, right? :S

Last edited by 5letterslong; 11/10/2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11/10/2012, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5letterslong View Post
if it was a profile problem in the cloud how could one check this? can you log into your profile somewhere online and Check what ins all stored in this cloud? i really want this working... since she does not want to lose all her messages, notes and stuff. thanks for the contact export thread hardbeatz! i will definetly look into that when there is no other way! thanks again for your Support!

edit: she told me that its getting worse... I really need to know how to back up all of her notes, messages, contacts etc
she loves her veer and I do too. damn this hp for abandoning us
please guys. someone needs to know something, right? :S
You can try tarring up /var and /var/db. All user data is in /var, and /var/db is the partition with all the application databases.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 07:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

allright. I didn't really find anything in these folders which doesn' mean anything because I don't really know what to look out for... I just crossed some threads in this forum and stumbld over impstah. Is it possible to "restart" the palm profil or something of that kind to get the backup working?

Tags
backup, touchscreen

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0