webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > My Veer has been getting lots of compliments recently
My Veer has been getting lots of compliments recently
Like Tree22Likes

Old 11/04/2012, 04:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

And it DOES appeal to at least one level of "techie" (those who value WOSQI, homebrew, & this forum). Cards! NOTIFICATIONS!! Chapura synch to have an unbroken PIM system (I can search calendar notes all the way back to those from myTreo, which is important to me), KEYBOARD, a working camera, an mp3 player, Google maps (thanks to homebrew), decent Facebook, nice Twitter, Outlook integration, synergy, touchstone charger, a web browser when you really need one, together with all the advantages mentioned above- this is a great phone for many!!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
collaborative_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman, OldSkoolVWLover and RumoredNow like this.
Old 11/08/2012, 05:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

Probably in 10 years HP Veer will be precious and collectionists will offer much money for this.
I really love this smartphone and i think is the best on his market share.
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 12:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

I heard about one compliment a veer owner received...

A wife comes home and greets her husband...she looks him up and down and says...

"Is that a Veer in your pocket or aren't you glad to see me?"

Think about it...

OK, that one might get me disbanded from webOS nation...I apologize

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/09/2012, 04:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
I heard about one compliment a veer owner received...

A wife comes home and greets her husband...she looks him up and down and says...

"Is that a Veer in your pocket or aren't you glad to see me?"

Think about it...

OK, that one might get me disbanded from webOS nation...I apologize
Dude... I think you need a donate button just for jokes.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rockbeast
Old 11/09/2012, 05:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

Was your veer extended or not? (grabs coat on the way out.....) :-)
Thanked By: Rockbeast
Old 11/09/2012, 08:08 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Dude... I think you need a donate button just for jokes.
But I couldn't afford to pay you guys each time I attempted to make one...

I'm sorry, we were talking about the Veer! You know, I've never seen one live...only the 'dummy' demo in a Best Buy about a year ago. But as I think I said earlier in this thread...or somewhere else...the idea of having a small phone AND a tablet is probably a little more popular now than when the Veer first came out. Obviously the "Tap To Share" concept would have probably strengthened that popularity if it ever really happened for the Veer (did it?), and if the TouchPad wasn't cancelled 1.25 months after it came out...and if the planets aligned...and the Cubs won the World Series. But, a small smartphone can work in this Tablet saturated world I do think.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Artichoke
Old 11/09/2012, 08:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
...Obviously the "Tap To Share" concept would have probably strengthened that popularity if it ever really happened for the Veer (did it?)...
There is the 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 Meta-Doctor... The base files are very hard to find now (since so many file hosts have been pillaged by the Feds) and it breaks stereo sound through the plug in headphones (not BT headphones) and you are forced to give up UberKernel. Loosing UberKernel stops me from going that route.

rwhitby has a Franken-TTS script for 2.1.2 Veer and I tried it once, but muffed it up somehow... I'll try again soon, but it really isn't urgent. I get the functionality and connectivity I want through pairing my Pre 2 with TouchPad so it is more of a learning exercise at this point.
Old 11/09/2012, 05:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

and get frequent inquiries as to where folks who see it can get one
the telephone is very reliable & pairs with my TP beautifully
GPS with AT&T is excellent (seems better than my Galaxy S III on AT&T) ...I plug a Touchstone into my car's cig lighter which is so superior to using a plugged device ...I love being able to lift it off without having to fuss with a cord
folks who don't like the magnetic connector probably haven't used one
battery life is outstanding
it makes for a great mpg player when paired with good 'phones, though I favor using mine with a Digizoid portable subwoofer for extra oomph
wish HP supported it better
TTS would be great to have
also I wish the camera would have macro ability & flash would be nice as well
I don't know of another small form smartphone as elegant & capable
I hope HP comes out with a Veer II, but I have my doubts
Artichoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 07:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Favourite app for my Veer? Smartrunner. I use it to bike, run, kayak and ATV (hunting) The GPS works great and it tracks everywhere I go. I don't 4G so when I get home or in WIFI range I just hit upload and everything is there online.
Because of its small size I can cycle for hours, listening to the MP3, tracking where I am going and oh yah... its a phone too.
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/12/2012, 05:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

I love my veer but I have two gripes, really 3.
1) No instagram... I have instagram envy

2) I never got att gps to work worth a darn so I took it off. Sprint navigator on my old pre was flawless.

3) no official touch to share. I'm too chiggen to do the unofficial work around.

My phone currently says I have a 2.1.2 upgrade avail, but I'm already on that version. Is there anyway to stop the update so I don't have to redo all my patches?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

Last edited by Sukiyaki; 11/12/2012 at 07:02 PM.
Sukiyaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 01:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
My phone currently says I have a 2.1.2 upgrade avail, but I'm already on that version. Is there anyway to stop the update so I don't have to redo all my patches?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
You could probably do the update without anything going wrong, but no promises. Pretty sure others have done similar with no ill effects.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 10:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

That phantom update usually revolves around the defunct Bing Maps App...

It won't hurt to ignore the update request. It just gets annoying seeing it offered. If the update crashes the "Maps" App... One or two tries usually restores the App from the App store and then you go back to using Google Maps by 72ka like everyone else.
Old 11/21/2012, 04:08 AM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Touch to share was a very good concept by HP to legitimate the small Veer and connect it to the big tablet... but the issue with TTS is that it's really crappy.... it works like 1 in 10 times and even then it is painfully slow... no one really knows what happens, if you have a browser focused on both devices... and that's the biggest issue: it can't really transmit any data. Why the heck? It's building up a BT connection anyway... why not use that to transmit stuff other than just an URL? Hate that.. :-(

Could have been THE killer feature. Could be that still today.. but that really got messed up. I really love my Veer and have brought it to 2.2.4 and even patched the A6 chip. But TTS is not worth it and I won't recommend anybody doing it... better use instapaper + mobile hotspot + papermache (on TP). Much more joy.. :-)
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 09:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

I just realized, with the Smartrunner App, I can download my tracks (taken with my Veer) to my PC into BaseMap by Garmin, then upload them into my Garmin GPS. Cool!
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0