webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Permanent blank screen problem
Permanent blank screen problem
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/23/2012, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 154
Guys PLS HELP-- I was using Veer without any major problems and enjoying it everyday with occasional blank screen problem whenever i used to end the call, but yesterday the screen went total blank and i am helpless now. i was using screen lock also ,may be that is the problem , i thought to remove it eventually but b4 that this happened. I can guarantee that phone is in full working condition as i am getting the calls / sms ,phone reboot everything.But the scren is total blank so i cant doctor it also.
I have tried all known things to me to RESET the phone, everything, but none seems working so far...pls help me how to Fix this..i think this is h/w issue with veer
any help ll be highly appreciated ...plsss....
__________________
pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
tovivekmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,232
Might be a bad proximity sensor???

Have you tried cleaning the area above the screen really well? Might be a smudge over the sensor...

Here's one thread on the topic: Screen black-out Hp Veer

I'm sure there are a few more...
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 154
thanx for the help, i dont think there is any smudging but still i'll give it a try..
even i also think this is more of a hw issue than sw after reading all this bad proximity sensor issue esp related to veer..if this is the case then i ll be at total loss... veer was a solid little device ..but issues like these make people angry esp hw ones when u cant do anything and u have no support also.
__________________
pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
tovivekmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 229
Perhaps install the "veer-disable-ambient-light-sensor.patch" via webos quickinstaller, in case the sensor is the issue.
__________________
micahdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
So you mean when the battery dies, you don't even get the "dead battery" icon when you set it to charge?

This does sound like a proximity sensor issue when you talk about the phone calls, but if the screen never comes on at all, i'm thinking it's a loose connector or a bad backlight..

And if you are using a cheap screen protector film, take it off and see if it starts working again...


If everything fails, you can back up the phone using meta-doctor (doesn't require developer mode AFAIK and will back up your apps as well), and then either doctor it or we'll see what else can be done to reset that problem.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2
For an entire day yesterday, my screen went blank. I couldn't get calls, and no sound indicated that I was receiving texts. The phone did, however, flash the "message waiting" indicator light on the gesture area. Even though there was plenty of charge left, I plugged it into a power source for a while. That didn't help.

Finally, I left it uncharged for all of today. When I charged it again, the screen came back on. It sounds like your problem is different, but hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Also, the screen occasionally fails to turn back on when I am finished making a phone call. It's embarrassing because I have to wait for the other person to hang up first.
Living Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 01:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Silver View Post
Also, the screen occasionally fails to turn back on when I am finished making a phone call. It's embarrassing because I have to wait for the other person to hang up first.
Some brands of screen protector film do that... the proximity sensor "sees" the dirty or scratched surface and misreads that as a handset in use position....

If you'll get yourself scratch-proof screen protector film like Zagg and wipe the screen often, that should usually fix it...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2012, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 154
Sorry for late reply, To update
I tried doctoring the device..through HIt n Trial method as i cant see anything -screen being totally blank
but i did it anyhow, the doctor recognized the device(bcoz the "next" icon got highlighted in the Doctor sw) ,first it charged the device to the full and then doctored it successfully..but even after that i cud not see anything, screen is still totally blank.
Now what are my options??
@MicahDG can i still push veer-disable-ambient-light-sensor.patch" via webos quickinstaller ??
If yes pl tell how, i'll give it a try

@Remy X So you mean when the battery dies, you don't even get the "dead battery" icon when you set it to charge?
Yes i dont even get the "dead battery" icon, screen is totally blank, but when ever i charge it OR connect the power i can feel the backlight on screen though it is very very dim. But i am very sure it is there.
--->And if you are using a cheap screen protector film, take it off and see if it starts working again...
i haven't tried it but i'll try for sure. I am ready to try anything if it can revive my Veer
@Living Silver -Finally, I left it uncharged for all of today. When I charged it again, the screen came back on.
--------i already tried this so many times but didn;t workout

-->>Also, the screen occasionally fails to turn back on when I am finished making a phone call. It's embarrassing because I have to wait for the other person to hang up first.

-------lol i have seen this so many times before my screen decided to go completely off

To tell the Truth i have lost all hope but i'll try anything if it can fix it
__________________
pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
tovivekmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2012, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
[snip]
Yes i dont even get the "dead battery" icon, screen is totally blank, but when ever i charge it OR connect the power i can feel the backlight on screen though it is very very dim. But i am very sure it is there.
[/snip]
Alright. Now we know what the problem is. It's definitely NOT the ambient light sensor, but a hardware problem with the screen...

So, we can see that:
  • the digitizer (touchscreen glass) works
  • the backlight works to some degree (not sure if to full brightness)
  • the LCD panel doesn't work correctly, either dead, or the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the mainboard has been chewed up and fails to transmit an image, or in the worst case, the chip on the mainboard that "talks" to the screen assembly is messed up...

I say so because the dead battery icon, as well as the electrical plug and USB (recovery mode) icons are not part of webOS, but rather of the hardware itself... it's like the BIOS screen that flashes when you boot up a regular computer. And since the low level code has no regard for the ambient light sensor, it turns on the backlight (but the LCD fails).

Now your choice is to either buy a new phone and sell this one for parts, or buy parts and fix this phone. We can discuss this when you get back....
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 02:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
cjriedel's Avatar
 
Posts: 10
I know what this problem is related to: since I have had the same problem since I cracked the corner of my Veer screen- the corner covering the proximity sensor.

Often, I cannot end a call either and have to force the unit to power off or reboot

I want to try and find a way to disable the sensor, too, or find a patch to prevent the phone from relying on a bad sensor.

If only this wasn't such a fragile device! I only dropped it from a height of 18 inches! One week into owning it!

This problem is manifested also by those with screen films, too, so I have no doubt that the phone is sensing that our heads are still held to the handset and that is why it refuses to respond. I've tried "power button to end call" patches, to no effect.

Thoughts?
cjriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjriedel View Post
I know what this problem is related to: since I have had the same problem since I cracked the corner of my Veer screen- the corner covering the proximity sensor.

Often, I cannot end a call either and have to force the unit to power off or reboot

I want to try and find a way to disable the sensor, too, or find a patch to prevent the phone from relying on a bad sensor.

If only this wasn't such a fragile device! I only dropped it from a height of 18 inches! One week into owning it!

This problem is manifested also by those with screen films, too, so I have no doubt that the phone is sensing that our heads are still held to the handset and that is why it refuses to respond. I've tried "power button to end call" patches, to no effect.

Thoughts?
Man that sucks

However, your issue is a bit different from what the OP is experiencing, since his screen died completely and yours still works... I've also had issues with the proximity sensor and only had to replace the screen protector to solve them, but perhaps the patch you used isn't compatible with the Veer... sometimes those things are kind of hit-and-miss, since every developer doesn't have every device and OS version on hand to test for quirks... anyway, you can probably find someone selling a bricked Veer here or on ebay and replace the screen digitizer glass with the new... be sure to look into a hard case, those things can be a real lifesaver (or is that screensaver? ) when it comes to fragile phones (like the Galaxy III)
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 298
My son's veer had an identical problem to OP The LED flashes for unread messages but the screen remains blank. He was due for an upgrade so just got him a Lumia 920, he wanted another webOS phone but couldn't justify the cost as he's had 2 pixis and one veer fail in an 18 month span. I wasn't going to buy another phone without warranty, sorry webOS and **** you again Apotheker.
Is there any way to get his contacts off the veer?
__________________
Pre 3
HP touchpad
Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Alright. Now we know what the problem is. It's definitely NOT the ambient light sensor, but a hardware problem with the screen...

So, we can see that:
  • the digitizer (touchscreen glass) works
  • the backlight works to some degree (not sure if to full brightness)
  • the LCD panel doesn't work correctly, either dead, or the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the mainboard has been chewed up and fails to transmit an image, or in the worst case, the chip on the mainboard that "talks" to the screen assembly is messed up...

I say so because the dead battery icon, as well as the electrical plug and USB (recovery mode) icons are not part of webOS, but rather of the hardware itself... it's like the BIOS screen that flashes when you boot up a regular computer. And since the low level code has no regard for the ambient light sensor, it turns on the backlight (but the LCD fails).

Now your choice is to either buy a new phone and sell this one for parts, or buy parts and fix this phone. We can discuss this when you get back....
I have the same problem with my Veer. I'm going to light it on fire and call it a day. I've tried taking it apart and fixing it, but it only made it worse (finally got it back to working for all of 5 minutes and then the screen just shut off again).
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
I have the same problem with my Veer. I'm going to light it on fire and call it a day. I've tried taking it apart and fixing it, but it only made it worse (finally got it back to working for all of 5 minutes and then the screen just shut off again).
People say it's a bad ribbon cable or connector, so we'll probably see a pile of broken Veers like this showing up on ebay in the next year and half. I kind of feel your pain

@doctj,

I'll get back to you on this. You'll have to reboot the phone to make sure no apps are open, then open the keyboard and type the Konami Code (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart), then blindly enable developer mode by pressing the part of the screen where the icon should be and then enabling dev mode. If the digitizer still works, the correct inputs can put the phone into dev mode and you'll be able to use WebOSQuickInstall to download (receive) the objects.db file.

I'll give you the precise directions when i come back

If you've already used WOSQI and devmode is still enabled, then it'll be absolutely effortless from there on. But please, don't junk or "recycle" the phone. There's people on here who would be glad to have a Veer for spare parts.

Last edited by Remy X; 12/10/2012 at 07:12 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 07:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
You'll have to reboot the phone to make sure no apps are open, then open the keyboard and type the Konami Code (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart), then blindly enable developer mode by pressing the part of the screen where the icon should be and then enabling dev mode.
Shrink the chance of error by typing "webos20090606" instead. (My personal favorite method is using the Custom Apps panel, which is the dialer in versions earlier than 3.0, and typing in "##devmode#".)
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Shrink the chance of error by typing "webos20090606" instead. (My personal favorite method is using the Custom Apps panel, which is the dialer in versions earlier than 3.0, and typing in "##devmode#".)
Yea, but then he'll have to press the option key twice to enable num lock. So the Konami Code being all lowercase seems more foolproof for me...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 08:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
I've just thought of this: how about use the activation bypass tool? That'll turn on Developer Mode without having to type anything or press buttons on a dark screen.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0