webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Back Cover Cracked
Back Cover Cracked
Like Tree10Likes

Old 10/05/2012, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have had my Veer for almost a year now. (I love this little thing)
I just noticed today that the back cover has cracked just between the magnetic connection and the slider split. Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think HP will send me a new back cover under warranty?
Tx
Doug
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think it is cracked. It just looks like a junction in the parts. I have always had that in mine.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually its broken right thru. I just pop it back in place and hope it doesn't catch on something and break off.
Old 10/15/2012, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

@petbull - there is no such division between the magsafe port and the slider on my Panda Veer...

@tracks914 - is it possible to safely remove the back of the Veer? Then you could apply epoxy to the outside of the split and let dry before reassembly. Maybe a bit of pressure as well to seal the split as it dries if you have a C-clamp and some cloth padding... That might help keep the split from widening and prevent the back from popping off during a minor drop or slider operation...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If you completely remove the back the warranty is voided.

I have a crack there, too after partly removing the back of my Veer and fiddling with the battery. I just glued that narrow part to the Veer-body, so that it won't break off and stays in place. If I don't look for it, I won't recognize. I just gotta remember, if I need to disassemble the Veer once more.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
If you completely remove the back the warranty is voided.

I have a crack there, too after partly removing the back of my Veer and fiddling with the battery. I just glued that narrow part to the Veer-body, so that it won't break off and stays in place. If I don't look for it, I won't recognize. I just gotta remember, if I need to disassemble the Veer once more.
W... arr.. ant.. y... ???

*looks for program to translate strange word into Q4 2012 webOS talk*
Liked by xandros9 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 10/16/2012, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
W... arr.. ant.. y... ???

*looks for program to translate strange word into Q4 2012 webOS talk*
Think third party extended warranty. I still have a couple of years left on Best Buy's PSP.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, I won't care today, neither... just wanted to mention it. :-p

But I still have like 6 months of warranty left on one of my Veers, I'm sure of that.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

As long as I'm careful it shouldn't be too much of a problem. After the warranty is up I can pop the back off and glue it or just use the one off my spare that I bought.
I was just more curious if it happened to anyone else like the Touchpad crack issue.
Old 12/06/2012, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just heard from HP Support Canada. After a few emails back and forth they asked me for my address to ship me a new cover. (even though the Veer was never sold in Canada) That's pretty good service if you ask me. I'll post when it comes in.
BTW I bought both my Veers off Ebay. No warranty.
Old 12/06/2012, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
I just heard from HP Support Canada. After a few emails back and forth they asked me for my address to ship me a new cover. (even though the Veer was never sold in Canada) That's pretty good service if you ask me. I'll post when it comes in.
BTW I bought both my Veers off Ebay. No warranty.
See... See...

I just knew everyone was a lot nicer up there in Canada.

Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/07/2012, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Got another reply from HP
"Thank you for the information requested. But unfortunaely we will not be able to send you a back cover as the back cover of the Veer cannot be taken of the device, you would have to replace the whole device, and unfortunately we don't have these device in the Canada nor United States."

Guess it isn't coming after all. :-(
Old 12/07/2012, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Oh no
Old 12/07/2012, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Got another reply from HP
"Thank you for the information requested. But unfortunately we will not be able to send you a back cover as the back cover of the Veer cannot be taken of the device, you would have to replace the whole device, and unfortunately we don't have these device in the Canada nor United States."

Guess it isn't coming after all. :-(
Well, don't be too disappointed with that answer from HP. That's how HP works, that company is too incompetent and stupid, of course you can't expect any better than just a mediocre service from them. No wonder that they-re in such a mess of a company
Old 12/07/2012, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Well, don't be too disappointed with that answer from HP. That's how HP works, that company is too incompetent and stupid, of course you can't expect any better than just a mediocre service from them. No wonder that they-re in such a mess of a company
They couldn't have sent him a back anyways... that would be the manufacturer instructing the end user to void warranty.

It is unfortunate that he got a CSR that thought they could help him and tried... which resulted in him getting his hopes up.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 07:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

tracks914 sent me an email, I have one I can send you. enda.mcgrath@palm.com
endamcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 10:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

^ this d00d is awesome, that is all
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 12/08/2012, 10:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
They couldn't have sent him a back anyways... that would be the manufacturer instructing the end user to void warranty.

It is unfortunate that he got a CSR that thought they could help him and tried... which resulted in him getting his hopes up.
Since I bought off Ebay I wsn't worried about warranty.
My hopes weren't up very high, it's just a crack in the cover.
It is awesome that endamcgrath offered to send me a new one.
The Internet is full of wonderful people.
Old 12/08/2012, 03:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Since I bought off Ebay I wsn't worried about warranty.
My hopes weren't up very high, it's just a crack in the cover.
It is awesome that endamcgrath offered to send me a new one.
The Internet is full of wonderful people.
Oh I know you weren't worried about it, just pointing out the alarmist comment about HP was unwarranted (clearly as seeing the response you got)... just that HP as a company couldn't be expected to send you a back that replacing would void their manufacturer warranty.
Old 12/08/2012, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Oh I know you weren't worried about it, just pointing out the alarmist comment about HP was unwarranted (clearly as seeing the response you got)... just that HP as a company couldn't be expected to send you a back that replacing would void their manufacturer warranty.
They could always send a warranty sticker
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0