1.    #1  
    Here is a new one that I have not found anything similar to:

One of our Veer phones appears to have lost its magnetic power on the phone itself - not the cable magnet. Our other Veer has a very strong connection between the charging cable and the phone.

How would one go about recharging the magnetic pins on the handset? I know this goes back to Science 101 in school, but I think I was sick that day.
    Palm Pre3 - Palm Pre2 - HP Veer - TouchPad16 - TouchPad32
    You mean the magnets weakened?
    Never heard this before, anywhere.

that's odd. maybe you could try cleaning the magnets?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    You mean the magnets weakened?
    Never heard this before, anywhere.

that's odd. maybe you could try cleaning the magnets?
    Yes, the other Veer phone we have and the cable connectors hold very well. The Veer that has the problem does not have enough magnetic pull on the phone to hold the cable by itself and will not show any indication of charging even if you hold the cable with the magnet on it. The touchstone charger works fine so the problem seems to be isolated to the magnet connection on the side of the phone itself. FYI, when the phone was brand new (about two months ago) the cable connection worked fine so this problem has developed sometime in the last couple of months.
    ....have the same expierience, though not that bad.
    Sometimes some "dust" gets into the 5 holes of the connector on the phone. Just carefully clean them with a needle or something will do the trick. Sometimes you need to "scratch" the metal very slightly in order for the connection to work properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by KWgators View Post
    Here is a new one that I have not found anything similar to:

One of our Veer phones appears to have lost its magnetic power on the phone itself - not the cable magnet. Our other Veer has a very strong connection between the charging cable and the phone.

How would one go about recharging the magnetic pins on the handset? I know this goes back to Science 101 in school, but I think I was sick that day.
    The Veer doesn't have magnets in it (at least not where you're referring to) - just steel (or other magentic metal) bits.

All of the Veer cables I've dealt with have quite strong magnets in them (very easy to hang the cable from the connect) while the phones themselves will not even attract a paper clip the slightest bit. The same is true on the back - the phone has magnetic metal bits that are attracted by the TouchStone's magnets. This is a design decision - if the phones had reasonable magnets in them and someone dropped a phone is a purse next to their credit cards or driver's license of other mag stripe ID it could cause problems.

There are (of course) magnets in the mic, speaker and vibrate motor.

If I can find one of my dead Veers (we just moved and most of my stuff is still in boxes) I'll do a bit of a dissection to see if it is possible for the steel bits to move.

edc
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
    Have you tried the same cables on both phones to see if there is any change?

Also the phone that is having problems with the charge cable, how does it get along with the headset adapter?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    The Veer doesn't have magnets in it (at least not where you're referring to) - just steel (or other magentic metal) bits.

All of the Veer cables I've dealt with have quite strong magnets in them (very easy to hang the cable from the connect) while the phones themselves will not even attract a paper clip the slightest bit. The same is true on the back - the phone has magnetic metal bits that are attracted by the TouchStone's magnets. This is a design decision - if the phones had reasonable magnets in them and someone dropped a phone is a purse next to their credit cards or driver's license of other mag stripe ID it could cause problems.

There are (of course) magnets in the mic, speaker and vibrate motor.

If I can find one of my dead Veers (we just moved and most of my stuff is still in boxes) I'll do a bit of a dissection to see if it is possible for the steel bits to move.
    Thanks much. Let me know if you find anything. Not really that big of a deal - more of just a point of curiosity at this stage.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Have you tried the same cables on both phones to see if there is any change?

Also the phone that is having problems with the charge cable, how does it get along with the headset adapter?
    First off - really miss the pic of your bug. My first was a '71 which I think was the first year they had those ugly built-in headrests that blocked your vision from the front seats. Anyway, back to the subject at hand, I have tried all of our other cables with the same result. For whatever reason (even with the audio/file transfer adapter attached) the result is the same. Thinking back to the science classes I did stay awake through, it may be that the contacts on the phone came together with some sort of magnetic field that weakened the phones ability to "latch on" to the magnetic cable. Will have to sleep on that one.