Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Aressel
  1.    #1  
    Yep. Walmart.
    $109.00 USD

HP Palm Veer 4G P160 GSM Phone, Black (Unlocked): Cell Phones : Walmart.com

They say they are black. The pic shows a Panda.

webOS 2.1 (I would guess that must be 2.1.2 see below)

AT&T dedicated apps

So.... One wonders how these got unlocked. Does Walmart have a tech using Dogbert's method? I doubt that. Where did they pick these up? HP? AT&T? Did someone unload their remaining stock? Who? Does that mean no more warranty replacements?

Curious.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    kataran and boovish like this.
    My guess is they are sold as unlocked since HP/ATT released all the unlock codes for Veer and Pre3s.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I wonder how many of them they have in stock? It would be nice to see them clear out all the Pre 3's that never made it to market too???? especially at that price. :-)
    Sadly won't happen since HP never released them for retail sale (at least US versions).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    My guess is they are sold as unlocked since HP/ATT released all the unlock codes for Veer and Pre3s.
    So some schmoe has to sit and input each unlock code manually? I wonder if he even knows what he is doing and why?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... Who says Walmart doesn't offer quality employment opportunities?

Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I wonder how many of them they have in stock? It would be nice to see them clear out all the Pre 3's that never made it to market too???? especially at that price. :-)
    On the site I can select up to 12 units to purchase from the drop down...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    So some schmoe has to sit and input each unlock code manually? I wonder if he even knows what he is doing and why?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... Who says Walmart doesn't offer quality employment opportunities?
    LOL, I'm guessing they are just selling em with the code, I could be wrong though. I do like how a feature is the custom ATT apps.
  7.    #7  
    LOL, I'm guessing they are just selling em with the code, I could be wrong though. I do like how a feature is the custom ATT apps.
    More than likely they are just wrapping the code up in the shipping box.

I'm really amused by this whole thing though. I gots me a Walmart smartyphone and I likes 'er.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Its my understanding unlocked phones do not work on every network, correct? For example, these Veers will not work on the Verizon network, right?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Its my understanding unlocked phones do not work on every network, correct? For example, these Veers will not work on the Verizon network, right?

Correct, this is because VZW and Sprint use CDMA technology and Veers are GSM only. The only other caveat is the bands on which a GSM carrier puts certain signals. For example, webOS phones lack the band that supplies 3G currently on T-Mobile, but they can still receive 2G data and voice service.

Correct, these would be on different bands. AT&T (as well as T-Mobile) run GSM and Verizon (as well as Sprint) runs CDMA bands. You would be able to run this phone on T-Mobile or any other carrier that is on GSM (usually they have sim cards) but you can't count on getting the 4g speeds.

Side note - Sprint and Verizon cannot go between carriers.
  11.    #11  

Correct, this is because VZW and Sprint use CDMA technology and Veers are GSM only. The only other caveat is the bands on which a GSM carrier puts certain signals. For example, webOS phones lack the band that supplies 3G currently on T-Mobile, but they can still receive 2G data and voice service.
    What OldSkool said....

PLUS - T-Mo is flipping their 3g HSDPA over to 1900 and using the1700 band for LTE. Some markets have already gotten the switch and now Veer will get H+ on T-Mo. It should be nationwide sometime in future, but will necessarily vary from place to place at this time...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I bought one of these (and would love to find a reasonably priced Pre3 out there someday too) and can confirm that, despite the title, they are Panda Veers.

I can also confirm that they do come unlocked right out of the box - I stuck my Rogers SIM in and it came right up, and I've already upgraded it to 2.2.4 (Thanks to Herrie for the awesome guide).
    RumoredNow likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aressel View Post
    I bought one of these (and would love to find a reasonably priced Pre3 out there someday too) and can confirm that, despite the title, they are Panda Veers.

I can also confirm that they do come unlocked right out of the box - I stuck my Rogers SIM in and it came right up, and I've already upgraded it to 2.2.4 (Thanks to Herrie for the awesome guide).
    Thanks for the first hand report.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Sadly won't happen since HP never released them for retail sale (at least US versions).
    I really don't comprehend the stupidity of the HP company, of not releasing the Palm Pre 3 to the US market yet it was released in Europe. And its sad that you will have to put up with buyers on eBay that are marking the price(way too high) for a device that its a year old. I really wanted to get my hands on the new Palm Pre 3(specially the 3.6 inch display), instead I made my purchase decision with the older hardware of the Pre 2. Nice phone by the way, but its not a Pre 3 at all.

And the funny side about this whole affair, its Mrs Whitman own comments: "We didn't give WebOS a chance". How about placing on sell the Palm Pre 3 device, which it was already made and manufactured ready to be shipped and be sold in stores. Why keep those devices within a storage facility collecting dust ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    They also have verizon pixies, and palm pilot cases if anyone still wants them...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    They also have verizon pixies, and palm pilot cases if anyone still wants them...
    I'm waiting for Walyworld to get the Pre 3.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  17.    #17  
    LOL they keep tweaking the price.... A couple days ago it was $119.96... NOW $109.96

Mobile Nations Devotee