Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  1.    #1  
    I just rebooted my Veer in the usual way for me (hold down power switch & turn sound on & off 3 times). For the first time in nearly a year of owning the phone, the "Rethink possible" screen appeared several times, alternating with the flashing HP logo. Yikes. I thought the phone was stuck in an endless loop of "rethinking", but after several minutes of this, my home screen appeared & I was back in business. Any ideas about what might have caused this & how to prevent it in the future?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    It may have been doing filesystem checks, since you did an unclean shutdown. I'd do a backup of your photos and stuff immediately.

-- Rod
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I did back up everything. For future reference, what is a "clean shutdown"? Since the episode, my battery seems to be draining much more rapidly. Also, my Outlook client stopped sending & receiving messages (I fixed that by deleting & reinstalling the mailbox). I just deleted the only patch that I had installed (to make the bookmark page visible). Any other advice to help me keep this phone working as long as possible?

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I would start with doctoring.
    A clean shutdown is holding the power button, choosing power in the menu that pops up and then choosing either reboot or shutdown.
    Holding the power button and rocking the volume buttons is a hard reset and should only be used as a last resort measure..
    If you just want to reboot your phone, Grey(Orange on old phone)+SYM+R.

Or holding the power button as described above and picking an option.

Basically it's like this the options above are like clicking the start menu in windows and either selecting restart or shutdown. Your method is holding down the power button on the computer until the PSU just shuts down, or pulling the computer from power to shutdown.

The "hard reset" just like on a computer should only be done when one of the other proper options cannot be done or are not working. The "hard reset" can lead to data corruption.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by collaborative_learning View Post
    I just rebooted my Veer in the usual way for me (hold down power switch & turn sound on & off 3 times). For the first time in nearly a year of owning the phone, the "Rethink possible" screen appeared several times, alternating with the flashing HP logo. Yikes. I thought the phone was stuck in an endless loop of "rethinking", but after several minutes of this, my home screen appeared & I was back in business. Any ideas about what might have caused this & how to prevent it in the future?

To fix the battery life you should let it die and then charge it fully a couple times
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  7.    #7  
    Thanks. I will try that, since wiping everything & starting over will take time that I do not have right now. Btw, does anyone know if WiFi Media Sync could have memory leak problems? That was the last app I used before the debacle.

Your boot loop wasn't cause by any app or memory leak, it was caused by the hard reset.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #9  
    Thanks. In the meantime I have cycled through both the "reset" & the "shutdown" options from the Power menu with no problems. As far as draining the battery is concerned (advice above), how far should I go? Is orange on the meter enough, or do I really need to go all the way until the phone shuts itself off (I hate that, esp w/ a "weakened" phone due to my improper shut down adventure). If I do all this, how much improvement in battery life might I be expected to see?

If you homebrew you may want to get Dr Battery, it will give you your battery health, that's a good place to start.
    i forgot my palm user name and password now i cannot open my hp veer so i try to reboot but what happen is phone shut down then i on it came and asking make new or sign in so i try make new but how many days i cannot open so i try again to reboot happen is the sign of usb suddenly came in big sign and black back ground i was so afraid so try to close again but this RETHINK POSSIBLE CAME OUT AND ATUCK IM AFRAID PLSSSSSSSSSSSS HELP WHAT TO DO
    Quote Originally Posted by noelmanalotolao View Post
    i forgot my palm user name and password now i cannot open my hp veer so i try to reboot but what happen is phone shut down then i on it came and asking make new or sign in so i try make new but how many days i cannot open so i try again to reboot happen is the sign of usb suddenly came in big sign and black back ground i was so afraid so try to close again but this RETHINK POSSIBLE CAME OUT AND ATUCK IM AFRAID PLSSSSSSSSSSSS HELP WHAT TO DO
    Try to recover your password first. Here's the link. And please also try some punctuation in your post.
    Remy X likes this.