Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    I bought my Veer back in October and was genuinely excited about it. I've always preferred smaller phones and this seemed like a dream come true.

Admittedly, I was kinda freaked out when I learned that I would need a go-around to even begin using the device as I had purchased it unlocked and didn't plan on using AT&T's service.

That should have been a red flag for me to raise the white flag.

Now, months later, I can't go a day without cursing this thing. Up till now, I had never owned a phone that would:

-Randomly restart while doing things like reading an email or viewing a website. This happens near-daily, if not once or twice a day.
    -Take 2:30 to boot, which doesn't sound like very long, but feels like an eternity when trying to look up needed info or make a call.
    -Randomly decide when it wanted the camera to work or not. I've had times where the app screen stays cloudy, stay black, not come on at all, freeze frame the last photo taken, etc.
    -Randomly decide when to have the ability to send text messages. Usually, the message will just hang unless I turn airplane mode on/off or restart.
    -Randomly decide when it wants internet access to work. Along with the text messages, this isn't a network issue. I've used sims from other networks, even other countries, and have had this problem for the last several months. Sometimes, I'll even have the problem when I'm connected to wifi.
    -Battery drains where I have to assume the phone will be in airplane mode most of the day just so it actually survive 8-12 hours of light use. Light= 20 mins of web, maybe a few minutes of talk time?

There are other complaints but I know there's already a long thread of known bugs. I've uninstalled most patches and have kept away from installing any others in fear that it could actually make things worse.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong because so many on here seem satisfied with their phones, but it feels like I have to jump through all these hoops just to get the phone to do what other phones already do, and do well. I'm talking about basic things like taking photos or being able to put in a sim card from any part of the world and not worrying about having to manually edit the carrier settings file and crossing your fingers.

Sorry, but I needed to vent. This phone has been beyond frustrating because it feels like it could be capable of being so much more. But with a dead OS and development, there was really little left to do but for me to jump ship to android. Obviously, from my join date you might see that while I mostly lurked this hasn't been my first rodeo with Palm but these haven't been my first issues with them, either.

But aside from the vent, you guys have been a great, devoted community. Wish you all the best.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    :'( its always sad to hear someone just not having a good experience with the devices webOS has. Hopefully you can reconsider when open webOS is released. It really is an awesome system and (besides silly apps) it has so much more to offer than an android or other complicated OS's . Mainly you'll discover how many steps you have to do on other phones in order to do what webOS does simply and effortlessly. I've tried all the other os's when trying to get a new phone, after the announcement death of support speech, and I could not believe how hard, complicated and locked down the other phones are. After using Pre's for so long all the others are just a pain in the **** and very unuser friendly. All I can think is you'll be back, you'll be back. Good luck.

Sent from HPTP Communities
    1. Install system control optimization patch in preware
    2. while you are at it go ahead and install jstop so you can open it and troubleshoot accurately what is using the memory so we can help you better
    3. Doesn't hurt also to install uberkernel and govnah, also in preware. Even if you don't overclock the Veer, the uberkernel should help optimize
    (the kernel is in the beta feed so you will have to google webos internals beta feed and follow instructions on the wiki to install beta feeds, webos internals has asked us to not post those instructions here)

4. I always have advanced reset options patch installed so I can do a quick luna restart without restarting the whole device, a luna restart should take 20 seconds or less.

5. Battery will drain if you have GPS, location services on, if your cell signal is weak or roaming a lot or if your screen brightness is high. Otherwise should be ok.

I handed the veer off to my power user nontechie friend who used it nonstop in argentina for 2 weeks while traveling. He loved it and the battery lasted like a champ.

Come back after you've tried these fixes and report your results.

edit: everyone's phone (android iphone too) requires settings to be changed for simcards, this is a carrier issue
    xandros9 and madlove143 like this.
  4.    #4  
    Balooz, we'll see, but I think the odds are better of buying a diamond at Loaf n' Jug than me coming back to Palm.

bluenote, having to install all of these things was kind of the point I was making. Why shouldn't I, let alone some poor soul with zero computer experience, expect to merely purchase a phone and have it work properly? It's a bit ridiculous.

While I wait for my new phone to arrive, I'll try out those patches. That bit about everyone's settings needing to be changed is nonsense. I wasn't talking about merely editing the APN settings, I was referring to the problems discussed and partially solved in the carriernetworksettings thread. I've owned quite a few cell phones abroad and this was the only time I've ever had to resort to that extreme. And even then, it didn't work. The common theme of "not working the way everyone else does" prevails.
    Our phones are working fine. We are suggesting these things because you seem to be having trouble.

Like I said, I lent my phone to a friend traveling across country lines in Argentina and the Veer never skipped a beat, it picked up each carrier as he crossed land, river and mountain.

Enjoy your new phone and your new community.

Mods close this thread.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I guess not everyone is cut out to have webOS phone then, just to awesomeness to handle, that's why they make the robots brand and apple sheep herders variety. Sorry to hear for your luck but every webOS phone I've owned has been kicking **** and still putting newest phones to shame. I've had every single one (still have them) that runs webOS. As far as small phones you had gotten one of the best (veer) it might have just been too much or just not what your into. Its all about what your into I guess. Its a shame though they are kick *** phones when the combination comes together correctly. You'll be a happy camper with your "new" phone then. Good luck

Sent from either my Pre, Pre˛, Preł, or TP's.*
    Quote Originally Posted by briands View Post
    Now, months later, I can't go a day without cursing this thing. Up till now, I had never owned a phone that would:

-Randomly restart while doing things like reading an email or viewing a website. This happens near-daily, if not once or twice a day.
    I never had this with official 2.1.2 version of the software. I did have in-call reboots with unofficial 2.2.3/2.2.4 version of the software (this is due to a bug in the new modem firmware as it seems, this might be why 2.2.3/2.2.4 was never officially released).

-Take 2:30 to boot, which doesn't sound like very long, but feels like an eternity when trying to look up needed info or make a call. It's indeed a tad slow while booting, though I noticed a lot of difference between my regular Veer and my development Veer, so I guess patches etc DO have quite some impact on boot time.

-Randomly decide when it wanted the camera to work or not. I've had times where the app screen stays cloudy, stay black, not come on at all, freeze frame the last photo taken, etc. Didn't meet this problem. I use only 1 patch, so I can use the volume buttons to take pictures. Then again I don't use the Veer for pictures THAT often either

-Randomly decide when to have the ability to send text messages. Usually, the message will just hang unless I turn airplane mode on/off or restart. Don't have this problem, there seems to be a bit of lag in the sending of text messages in 2.1.2 though (can take a few seconds before it goes from "grey" to normal "black" text as an indicator it has been sent

-Randomly decide when it wants internet access to work. Along with the text messages, this isn't a network issue. I've used sims from other networks, even other countries, and have had this problem for the last several months. Sometimes, I'll even have the problem when I'm connected to wifi. No problem here either, mine is on WiFi all day @ home and in the office

-Battery drains where I have to assume the phone will be in airplane mode most of the day just so it actually survive 8-12 hours of light use. Light= 20 mins of web, maybe a few minutes of talk time? This really depends a lot on your usage. It seems that poor signal quality for 3G/4G drains the battery faster. Just WiFi doesn't eat a lot
    See above, I believe you got a "lemon" maybe and just ended up with a broken Veer somehow. I have one, my g/f has one, my brother has one, his g/f got one, all seems to work without the issues you mention. Only thing I noticed is the battery drain, which is a bit high at some times but has it's logical explanations.

I would try to have your Veer replaced by HP.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Let me say this... I love webos because it is designed for power users. I worked on IOS and if something does work correctly.... You are bleep out of luck.

Case in point a client purchased an ipad and a printer from apple.com after 3 visits 4 phone calls to apple and HP and linksys a new router and a extended warranty purchase to apple. The print would still print one or two times and require a reboot so the ipad would locate it.

With webos the user community would have a fix in about six minutes. And make it available to anyone with preware.

That is why in china I am using a german phone on china mobile and the US appstore.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    johncc likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Our phones are working fine. We are suggesting these things because you seem to be having trouble.

Like I said, I lent my phone to a friend traveling across country lines in Argentina and the Veer never skipped a beat, it picked up each carrier as he crossed land, river and mountain.

Enjoy your new phone and your new community.

Mods close this thread.
    I appreciate the suggestions and have downloaded the patches to see how things go in the meantime. However, it still goes back to even having to suggest patches to stabilize my phone. If it shouldn't hurt to download uberkernal, etc., it should also not hurt to not have to resort to that, either.

Your anecdote is fine, but there's a full multi-page thread of people who have had issues and continue to do so. Your friend was lucky enough to have the Argentine carriers already written into the phone. It didn't work out that way in Costa Rica nor Mexico for me (and again, if you read the thread you'll see I'm not alone) and each time I had to throw away the sim and balance because that carrier's data settings weren't on the pre-written list. Yet I pulled out a four year-old Nokia and it worked just fine.

Maybe I have a lemon like Herrie suggests, but then after browsing the threads I wonder if I'm not alone in the orchard.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I would try to have your Veer replaced by HP.
    I would, too, if I wasn't worried I'd be back at square one. The ability to use Skype is becoming more and more important to me, but not at the risk of bricking my phone, more battery drain issues, etc.

The text issue is intermittent and interesting. It tends to happen if the phone has been on a day or so without a reboot. It's not a hang of a few seconds, rather, it remains grey until I reboot or go in/out of airplane mode. Same issue with the internet. Again, I could understand if it was a network problem but I've had the same problem on different networks in different countries.

For the battery drain, I do have location services on but I'm in an area with full 3G bars. Hardly ever use wifi because of the drain.

I'm not trying to bash the phone, the company, the OS, the community, etc. I think it's pretty reasonable that I be frustrated given the multitude and degree of problems I've had these eight months. What would a person without access to this forum do in my shoes?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    As far as small phones you had gotten one of the best (veer) it might have just been too much or just not what your into. Its all about what your into I guess.

Sent from either my Pre, Pre˛, Preł, or TP's.*
    Realistically, would you be able to "get into" a product that acted up like mine?
    i definitely think the OP has got a lemon of a phone - my veer has had none of those issues, and has actually been the most reliable webos phone I've had (pre2 being the worst and the pre3 being a bit tempermental). The only issue with my veer is that I can't patch it because i get the screen going black issue so I can't use the keypad in calls. for me, this is fine..although i would love to have brightness control in the device menu.

other than that, this little phone is a gem.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    I agree, for the few weeks I had a Veer it was stable and quite usable. I encountered none of the problems, except that sent messages did not turn green instantly and the rather slow boot time.
    OP, at least doctor your phone or you actually just have a lemon, which is unfortunate.
    All the mentioned patches merely improve things, but are not necessary to have a reasonably stable Veer.
    I appreciate the suggestions and have downloaded the patches to see how things go in the meantime. However, it still goes back to even having to suggest patches to stabilize my phone. If it shouldn't hurt to download uberkernal, etc., it should also not hurt to not have to resort to that, either.
    If you're here to complain, then my suggestion would be to go somewhere else, sell your veer, and buy an android or ios device.

Coming here and asking a community that is willing to help you and then complaining after receiving said help that will fix your problems is not going to win friends and is going to turn people off for helping you in the future.

This is not a place to complain about your webos phone or your webos experience. this is a place to get help and share positive experiences.

if you want to continue complaining, please go elsewhere.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

bluenote and cujoq37 like this.
    "your anecdote is fine, but there's a full multi-page thread of people who have had issues and continue to do so. Your friend was lucky enough to have the Argentine carriers already written into the phone. It didn't work out that way in Costa Rica nor Mexico for me (and again, if you read the thread you'll see I'm not alone) and each time I had to throw away the sim and balance because that carrier's data settings weren't on the pre-written list. Yet I pulled out a four year-old Nokia and it worked just fine."

We actually bought him an international sim from some company recommended on webosnation front page for travelers as he did not have time to buy local sim (I really have to thank the guy who wrote that terrific article, I think it was Adam but will have to google it). He called me once to re-input the settings the international sim company said to input and then afterwards I never heard back from him until he came back from vacation and returned the phone to me with glowing phrase. Believe me, he hated the preplus so would have had no issue telling me he hates the phone but I've heard nothing but silence and quiet satisfaction from him on his vzw pre2 and the veer; his silence tell me the phones work and work well.

edit: I don't think the sim thing has anything to do with webOS. Its that sim and the relationships the local carriers have with their neighbor carriers. I specifically bought a sim with a plan that would cross carriers (I think the co was a reseller of ATT international plan or something like that)
    Today is day 3 with a Veer in my hands. Me likey. It's a snappy little thing.

I guess some of the confusion comes from the title of the thread: Help me understand the love for this thing and the I'm giving up attitude of the OP. I understand the dude's frustration and wanting to rant in a place where people will have a chance of understanding what he's saying...

Remember, he asked help me understand the love - not help me fix my Veer. It is quite plain from the OP that his mind is made up. Sounds like he hasn't had a good experience from the start. It happens. Not every phone is the same. Not every user is the same. Seems like a bad confluence on this one.

Best of luck briands...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Balooz likes this.
    "Remember, he asked help me understand the love - not help me fix my Veer. It is quite plain from the OP that his mind is made up."

Agreed. Its a problem thread because he said "help me understand the love" when he really wants to say how much he dislikes it and that he already decided to move on (which he knows would not get many responders on this thread.)

And frankly if I decided to switch away from something, I don't even understand why I would want to post in that forum, I would be busy posting in the new forum so I could learn about my forward life.

That is why I suggest to the mods--close this thread.
    fxspec06 and RumoredNow like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    "Remember, he asked help me understand the love - not help me fix my Veer. It is quite plain from the OP that his mind is made up."

Agreed. Its a problem thread because he said "help me understand the love" when he really wants to say how much he dislikes it and that he already decided to move on (which he knows would not get many responders on this thread.)

And frankly if I decided to switch away from something, I don't even understand why I would want to post in that forum, I would be busy posting in the new forum so I could learn about my forward life.

That is why I suggest to the mods--close this thread.
    LOLz - I agree 100% with your philosophy... One I try to practice myself.

I just realize many people like to *%^@# and moan.

It seems to be a recurring theme around this place. I don't really understand the desire to hang out in a webOS forum if you are disgruntled with the OS. I think you and I have tilted at some of the same windmills in that regard.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    here is a really cool thread to hang out in

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-center-3.html
    Help me understand the love for this thing
    My explanation is the zealots for either the phone or webos will excuse it's shortcomings, flaws and issues. It's why there are stories of people returning 8 and 9 pres. They so want it to work that they'll simply keep trying in hopes of finding a device that works. You however seem to be on the other side of the spectrum. The flaws you see are intolerable, and you seem to be the sort that would just return a product rather then go through 8 returns. The people that want it to work out will simply give it much more time and tolerate more problems then then someone with no rooting interest or that expects things to just work properly on every device.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    When I first got my Pre 2, the number one battery killer was email. It is sent to push by default, and is therefore constantly checking for new messages. This problem is worsened if you have multiple mail accounts. You'll be amazed at the increase in battery life if you increase the new mail check interval, even to half an hour or so. I personally have all but my primary account set to every 6 hours, and my primary to every hour or so. The result is the longest lasting phone battery I've ever experienced, and I no longer need to turn my phone off or use aeroplane mode to save power, and that's with moderate to heavy internet use and maximum brightness.

Give it a try, and see if it helps. If you don't know how, help is but a question away.

EDIT: Just saw that the OP moved to an Android phone. He/she may wish to know that most of the reasons they quoted were the reasons I left Android to come to webOS, months after its discontinuation.
    Last edited by immovablesoup; 06/20/2012 at 02:38 PM.
    johncc and RumoredNow like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast