Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by immovablesoup View Post
    EDIT: Just saw that the OP moved to an Android phone. He/she may wish to know that most of the reasons they quoted were the reasons I left Android to come to webOS, months after its discontinuation.
    Love it. Grass is always greener...

edit: just looked and I've reached 600 thanks, glad to have helped others.
    Quote Originally Posted by immovablesoup View Post
    EDIT: Just saw that the OP moved to an Android phone. He/she may wish to know that most of the reasons they quoted were the reasons I left Android to come to webOS, months after its discontinuation.
    Every OS has it's faults to be sure and those who tout it as well... And every smart phone sucks battery up. I think Android is particularly guilty of that.

For me, it's that webOS works so gracefully, intuitively and... beautifully. It's a bit artistic really.

I too am just recently arrived.

webOS is dead! LONG LIVE webOS!!!!!
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    After 2 year use Android since Froyo, Ginger and ICS with several custom. Now, back to my stack live webOS. Simple, fast multitasking, heavy daily work use.

So, I leave in my pocket, my big screen android only for watching movie and reading pdf/documents.

Stack is truly multitasking and closing program. Android even iOS does not have good killing task program
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    This is not a place to complain about your webos phone or your webos experience. this is a place to get help and share positive experiences.

if you want to continue complaining, please go elsewhere.
    Not a place to complain? I agree this is a place folks can come to for help and advise -- but to state that folks can't come here and voice their gripes about issues and problems is flat out wrong. If WebOS can't take a little beating from someone with legitimate gripes and problems, then we need to just scrap it and move on.

OP, thanks for your open and honest comments and for stating your frustrations. If WebOS is going to have ANY kind of a long term future, these types of things need to be addressed.

Oh, and regarding having to install a cornucopia of patches, fixes, and add-ons to get an OS to run properly? That's bantha poodoo. Make it run right when I take it out of the box. HP and whoever inherits WebOS would do well to take a page from Apple's book in that regard. Don't get me wrong, I love WebOS and would rather be running it on every device I have... but it needs to be solid. In fact, I insist that it be so. That's been part of the problem -- none of the companies who killed it ever made it shine as brightly as it could and should have.

If they had... we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Just my two cents.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I agree that people should naturally be able to discuss the numerous webOS and hardware problems here, and that's happening, too, but as long as it's only bashing and venting and saying goodbye, that's the place to be: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pal...ll-thread.html
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    Not a place to complain? I agree this is a place folks can come to for help and advise -- but to state that folks can't come here and voice their gripes about issues and problems is flat out wrong. If WebOS can't take a little beating from someone with legitimate gripes and problems, then we need to just scrap it and move on.

OP, thanks for your open and honest comments and for stating your frustrations. If WebOS is going to have ANY kind of a long term future, these types of things need to be addressed.

Oh, and regarding having to install a cornucopia of patches, fixes, and add-ons to get an OS to run properly? That's bantha poodoo. Make it run right when I take it out of the box. HP and whoever inherits WebOS would do well to take a page from Apple's book in that regard. Don't get me wrong, I love WebOS and would rather be running it on every device I have... but it needs to be solid. In fact, I insist that it be so. That's been part of the problem -- none of the companies who killed it ever made it shine as brightly as it could and should have.

If they had... we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Just my two cents.
    The thing is, Android isn't much better. My Droid 2 Global always ran hot, randomly rebooted and was slow as molasses (with a 1.2 GHz processor, mind you). Then it died (I guess it finally overheated). I moved to a Stratosphere and that had awful sound problems and hardly a ROM to fix it. I switched to a Thunderbolt but the battery life is awful and proprietary RILs make it tough to find a good ROM that isn't bogged down by the slowness that is Sense. That's why I'm saddling up with webOS. Even if it is a Pre+ that I'm getting, it is highly tuned to what it needs to do, and patches appear to be far less of a hassle than rooting and flashing an entire ROM.

If one wants a phone to run "perfect" right out of the box, buy an iPhone. But you also can't expect an iPhone to do very much more than what it's intended to do unless you jailbreak, and that has always come at a cost to system speed. Even if you stay stock you still get the slow, buggy, battery draining "new version" before they patch it to X.1, which still isn't much better.

So if one wants a perfect phone, you're SOL. I'm glad that webOS will at least provide a simple means of getting features I want, like listening to youtube with the screen off.
    Last edited by beveragevendor; 06/21/2012 at 11:34 AM.
    well the whole reason I like webOS in the first place is because its so stinking easy to modify to the way I want it to run , wow I don't use patches because my phones need them I USE PATCHES BECAUSE ITS CHANGES THE WAY THE PHONE WORKS TO MY SATISFACTION . I don't have to use a "Rom" that someone else created to their liking . And you can't add just one simple thing to your phone either . At any point in time I can just change a little bit of code and add it into my phone OS and then Luna re-start and I'm done . My phone is modified lol webOS is just to easy ! Good day !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    johncc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beveragevendor View Post
    The thing is, Android isn't much better. My Droid 2 Global always ran hot, randomly rebooted and was slow as molasses (with a 1.2 GHz processor, mind you). Then it died (I guess it finally overheated). I moved to a Stratosphere and that had awful sound problems and hardly a ROM to fix it. I switched to a Thunderbolt but the battery life is awful and proprietary RILs make it tough to find a good ROM that isn't bogged down by the slowness that is Sense. That's why I'm saddling up with webOS. Even if it is a Pre+ that I'm getting, it is highly tuned to what it needs to do, and patches appear to be far less of a hassle than rooting and flashing an entire ROM.

If one wants a phone to run "perfect" right out of the box, buy an iPhone. But you also can't expect an iPhone to do very much more than what it's intended to do unless you jailbreak, and that has always come at a cost to system speed. Even if you stay stock you still get the slow, buggy, battery draining "new version" before they patch it to X.1, which still isn't much better.

So if one wants a perfect phone, you're SOL. I'm glad that webOS will at least provide a simple means of getting features I want, like listening to youtube with the screen off.
    If you want to use webOS hassle free, I highly recommend the Pre2 as your investment. You can get one for pretty cheap in this marketplace forum or on ebay, and it is rock solid and hassle free, I can't say the same for preplus as the hardware is older and less reliable and I don't even know if it got the latest version of the software, the 2.* version, probably not.
    Also openWebOS is coming soon. It is coming only for the tablet but I have to believe at least someone will make a version for the phones. If they do I would bet that Pre2 and Veer would be supported first, with PrePlus coming possibly later.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I can't justify the extra money for just a better camera and 400 MHz. I've chosen slower processors before and I hardly use my camera. I've seen tons of reviews and demos for both, and the Pre+ looks to handle WebOS 2.x well to me. If I think I made the wrong choice, well, I'll change up later. Its mostly a dev device for me anyway. I'm just frustrated with Android and need a change of pace.
    I've always liked small phones. The smaller the better for me.
    I also like webOS, I think its the best mobile OS out there. Yes it has bugs but I deal with them.
    Thats why I chose the Veer
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
  11.    #31  
    Wow, some people on this forum either have some seriously thin skin or have simply misread me from the start.

I'll clarify and highlight a few points:

-I did not start this thread as a "so long, cruel world" to this community. I had a long history of bugs with my Veer, even after doctoring a few times, and while I've noted others having problems here and there (hello, official bug list!) I thought that possibly I had done something wrong or that my experiences were a complete aberration. Maybe I simply wasn't clear enough when I wrote in the OP, "Maybe I'm just doing something wrong because so many on here seem satisfied with their phones."
    -I have not complained about the help and suggestions I've received. In fact, I had written that I installed all the patches recommended to me. To add insult to injury, after installing the newer patches I realized that I missed several phone calls because the phone chose not to vibrate or ring, even after a couple of luna restarts.
    -I have lurked this forum prior to joining in '06. I have had several other Palm products. I never said I was throwing this phone, or any advice given to resolve my problems, away. For the love of god, I've been on the Palm bandwagon for nine or ten years. At what point is one allowed the slightest bit of room to discuss both the positives AND negatives of a device paid?

To be perfectly honest, some of the responses have been nothing short of condescending. "Mods close this thread" has to be one of the all-time greats of trying to belittle another's point of view simply because it's not in parallel with the norm. How would anyone try to share positive experiences or get help with a response like that?

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I understand the dude's frustration and wanting to rant in a place where people will have a chance of understanding what he's saying...
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    My explanation is the zealots for either the phone or webos will excuse it's shortcomings, flaws and issues.
    I completely understand this. I can completely sympathize after several devices and several years. The rest was dead on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post

I really, really appreciate this comment and hope that others might open up a bit more to understand it as well.

I help moderate a completely unrelated forum that has grown over the years because it has become a destination for those who get cut out of other places, mostly for not having a voice in line with the rest. Those places continue to see membership stall or drop while we continue to grow.

If I can't come here to voice my concerns and contribute, where are people like me left to turn? I'll be a drop in the bucket to the Android crowd but maybe I won't be told that I'm in the wrong place to complain when something comes up. But I hope those few understand the irony of my being completely pushed away by a community that up till now has been incredibly involved, friendly, and above all, mutually respectful.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Well, I think you also went over the line when you didn't even take the time to thank bluenote for offering assistance and called his suggestions "ridiculous." I really have trouble believe you find (or perhaps, found) this community so helpful and friendly. Regardless of your intents, this thread still comes off as "goodbye cruel world" and those sorts of threads are always annoying. It's sometimes better to go quietly into to the night than to get one more complaint said on your way out.

No phone is perfect, and we all need to vent sometimes, but you aren't entirely innocent in the case of the negative reactions in this thread.

Good luck with Android, hopefully it'll go well for you. But read my post, as the grass isn't always greener. To each his own.
    PreJim and micahdg like this.
    I don't know how yours works, But I have 3 Veers now for the family and I'm pretty happy. They are all overclocked and run run pretty well. The biggest issue I have is the phone is so small that it flops around in my pocket and sometimes the screen goes awry. It is non responsive to touches or hyper responsive. Whatever, I have to reboot and all is well.

I've watched my daughter text in awe. She can just fly over those keys, after she swore she hated the keyboard. I think it just took a little time to get used to. The best part is being on Straight talk and the ATT network. After 10 years on Sprint, I was hesitant to leave, but ATT is much better...MUCH better, at least in Columbus. I travel a lot and have only had a few places where it has been bad. Sprint was bad in a lot of places. Should have made that switch a long time ago.
    NOTE:
    Members:

Please do not post rude comments. Yes, this is a webOS support site, but if every post were positive there would be no need for support. If you see a post that is rude, flaming, or off-topic please hit the "report" button. If you have questions, please contact a staff member.

Thank you!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    This is EZ! One has bit of a problems (which are also experienced on other OSes devices) and tens of thousands (cannot say hundred of thousands) have a great experience with it. I had a Pre -which I sadly lost- and a Veer as a backup -actually a gift for one of my sisters- and the only issue I have had with it is the rebooting (normally when I slide it out on the Phone App) and that's 1 or 2 times a month. Aside from that, I call it the "MIGHTY" Veer and not for nothing. This thing, with the correct patches and overclocked, is a beast! Runs perfectly. If you don't want to go through the hustle, too sad; not a hustle at all.
    LONG WILL LIVE webOS!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12