Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Good day,
    hope this is not a duplicate thread, by checking past ones didn't find anything like it so I dare to post it.

When I bough my Veer I chose to get a US one, although living in Europe, because I wanted it fast and quickly. Ordered one off Ebay at a decent price shortly after it was launched.

A part from the bugs we all know about, I couldn't buy any app in the App Catalog because despite my Palm Profile was set to UK, my Veer would only allow me to buy from the US App Catalog. Needless to say that without a US Credit Card and address, no luck getting anything.

My Veer sat in a drawer till a few months ago when the "unofiicial update" came out. Updated it, less buggy (at least for me) but still the US App Catalog issue. I had already tried a few times contacting HP Support (Web Chat) but always told that it was a US device and there was nothing that could be done to switch to the EU catalog. The Veer went back in the drawer.

Here we come to the reason of this post. I contacted them via Chat the other day and finally found someone who helped me. He asked the Veer serial number, few seconds later asked me to close the App Catalog and to open it again. Prices were in Pounds and I could use my EU credit card.

Considering the fate of these devices they probably lifted the geo restriction, don't know, the support tech didn't answer on this specific subject. He just switched me to the App Catalog I asked.
    Good, very good, now I can finally spend my "European" money on a device which has probably no future.

That's it, just wanted to pass on the message.

Ka.
    Quote Originally Posted by KaSt View Post
    Good day,
    hope this is not a duplicate thread, by checking past ones didn't find anything like it so I dare to post it.

When I bough my Veer I chose to get a US one, although living in Europe, because I wanted it fast and quickly. Ordered one off Ebay at a decent price shortly after it was launched.

A part from the bugs we all know about, I couldn't buy any app in the App Catalog because despite my Palm Profile was set to UK, my Veer would only allow me to buy from the US App Catalog. Needless to say that without a US Credit Card and address, no luck getting anything.

My Veer sat in a drawer till a few months ago when the "unofiicial update" came out. Updated it, less buggy (at least for me) but still the US App Catalog issue. I had already tried a few times contacting HP Support (Web Chat) but always told that it was a US device and there was nothing that could be done to switch to the EU catalog. The Veer went back in the drawer.

Here we come to the reason of this post. I contacted them via Chat the other day and finally found someone who helped me. He asked the Veer serial number, few seconds later asked me to close the App Catalog and to open it again. Prices were in Pounds and I could use my EU credit card.

Considering the fate of these devices they probably lifted the geo restriction, don't know, the support tech didn't answer on this specific subject. He just switched me to the App Catalog I asked.
    Good, very good, now I can finally spend my "European" money on a device which has probably no future.

That's it, just wanted to pass on the message.

Ka.
    Big thanx for your tip!!

Worked for me also. The trick in my situation is: For both my Veer and Touchpad an US profile with UK app catalog (which for the Veer was set by a support engineer). In this setting it lets me use my Dutch credit card for both devices.

This is without using impostah or other tricks. Btw I'm using an EU Veer.
    that info should make it to the frontpage. derek, perhaps you get an "official" info on that?
    This is all old news, already commented in numerous threads.
    Either HP changes it for you, or you buy a TouchPad and link your previously App-less phone to it. The TouchPad's AppCat version will determine both.
    While HP was making changes to the system, a lot of people were experiencing unexpected AppCat jumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This is all old news, already commented in numerous threads.
    Either HP changes it for you, or you buy a TouchPad and link your previously App-less phone to it. The TouchPad's AppCat version will determine both.
    While HP was making changes to the system, a lot of people were experiencing unexpected AppCat jumps.
    OK, I managed to get HP to change the App. Catalog for my Touchpad to the US (got US prepaid credit card), however the one on my Veer which is on the same webOS profile still has no access to the US App. Catalog?

I asked HP if they could change the App. Catalog access for the Veer itself and they said they cannot due to the fact that it's determined based on the mobile operator (so I guess they use MNC for it?)

Anyone has any suggestions on how to get US paid apps on my Veer as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    OK, I managed to get HP to change the App. Catalog for my Touchpad to the US (got US prepaid credit card), however the one on my Veer which is on the same webOS profile still has no access to the US App. Catalog?

I asked HP if they could change the App. Catalog access for the Veer itself and they said they cannot due to the fact that it's determined based on the mobile operator (so I guess they use MNC for it?)

Anyone has any suggestions on how to get US paid apps on my Veer as well?
    Impostah's chameleonic capabilities can do this.

For obvious reasons I can't give details (never get between lawyers and money), but the source code is available to examine, and I know you're a smart guy.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals