Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm hoping someone in this august group can help me out with my Veer problem. I purchased a used AT&T Veer and I can' seem to get it to work with the USB cable. It charges fine on a Touchstone, but with the cable, Nada. Similarly, the Veer is not recognized by a PC when using the USB cable. I assumed the cable was bad, so I bought another one, and there's no difference. The Veer is working fine otherwise. I'm using it successfully with Straight Talk and charging on the Touchstone is no problem that's what I intend to do anyway. But I want to install PreWare and do some other things, and can't without being able to access the device via USB. I can't re-Doctor without the USB, etc. I've searched the forums, haven't found anyone who has a problem both with charging and data connection. Any suggestions? I fear I have a serious hardware problem here.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    do earbuds work when using the 3.5mm headphone adapter?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    Great question! But, unfortunately, I don't have the adapter, so have no way of finding out.
    Plug it in and restart it while pluged into the PC by rocking the mute switch 3-5 times and holding down the power button. Should work fine after that.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    Plug it in and restart it while pluged into the PC by rocking the mute switch 3-5 times and holding down the power button. Should work fine after that.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It sounded to me a bit like alchemy, but in the hope that it would work, I tried it anyway . . . several times. No change, though - I'm still SOL. Another interesting detail: If I rotate the magnetic connector and attach it upside down, nothing changes on the Veer, but on the PC I get a notification that says, "USB Device Not Recognized."
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I sometimes have trouble with the connection. If I clean the contacts on the cable and the veer, it usually works ok after that. Even blowing on them can sometimes be enough (with you mouth right on the contacts, blowing quite hard and moving quickly sided to side) - I tried hard to not make that sound like ****.
    Ben
    I have had the same problem. The last time, I just kept trying different USB ports, connecting and reconnecting the magnetic piece, & eventually the laptop recognized the Veer. I'll be more careful about the magnetic contacts as suggested above next time. BUT, when you are running WOSQI, you do need to restart the Veer to get WOSQI to see it, even after your PC has recognized it.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, Benh & Collaborative_Learning - I've tried cleaning, blowing, unplugging, replugging, restarting . . . Nothing has worked yet, though I haven't given up. Still trying...
    The first thing I would try is go to your Start Menu/Run then type services.msc

Then scroll down to Palm Novacom and restart the process. Then try and reconnect your Veer and see if it will be recognized.

If it still doesn't work, it might be time to find another PC to try it on.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    The first thing I would try is go to your Start Menu/Run then type services.msc

Then scroll down to Palm Novacom and restart the process. Then try and reconnect your Veer and see if it will be recognized.

If it still doesn't work, it might be time to find another PC to try it on.
    Even without developer mode enabled (i.e. novacomd running) he should be able to conenct to the PC as a USB device.

More likely is that the internal cable has gotten bumped loose. The flex circuit lead runs from the 5-pin external jack to a teeeny little connector that is a press-fit (i.e. could have come loose if someone swapped the battery or if the phone got dropped _just_ right.

I've attached 2 pictures - the first is with the cable loose but in its "unmolested" position; the second shows the cable and connector separated. All you need to do to remate it to press gently with a fingertip or blunt end of a pen or such. It should not take much pressure and you should hear a little "click" when it connects...
    Attached Images Attached Images

edc
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks, guys, for the additional suggestions, especially the awesome pics. Based on them, I checked my ribbon cable. It looked secure, but I carefully lifted it up and reseated it. Still no improvement (sigh). I spent some time today chatting with Palm (HP) about this problem. They're sending a new USB cable, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll be sending the Veer in for repairs.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    But, unfortunately, I don't have the adapter......
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    I spent some time today chatting with Palm (HP) about this problem. They're sending a new USB cable....
    you should've asked them to send you a headphone adapter too
  13.    #13  
    you should've asked them to send you a headphone adapter too
    Doh! You're right! Didn't think of that
  14.    #14  
    . . . New cable received, but behavior still persists. After a second chat session with Palm Support, my Veer has been shipped for repair or replacement. Thanks again to everyone who tried to help!
    i hve the same problem but my headphones do work
    my phone gets charged but there is no logo of d charging and when i connect it to pc usb is not recognized plz help
  17.    #17  
    Received replacement Veer from Palm, and all is now well. Good luck, Parvath. I have no advice to offer, since my problem was ultimately solved by Palm. Does anyone know how to tell if this device is new or refurbished?
    Guys I too have the same issue,

The earphone connector works just fine.

Issue is with the magnetic connection. tried with a new cable but no luck.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
    the same proplem with me and my Veer work fine when using the 3.5mm headphone adapter. I replace a new cable (inside Veer) but it can't still charge or connect computer.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    My veer magnetic connector started having problem a year ago and it did not improve with the time. First I thought it was caused by contact problems due to dust stuck in the holes of the connector but I'm not really sure it is the only problem. Since months, even though I clean the connector carefully and after having checked inside that the connector is correctly connected, I got it working 1 time out of 100 attempts.

What is strange is that the cable is partially detected by the Veer. If I check the log, I see an activity linked to power USB connection like this line :

Code:
    webos-device user.err hidd: _PowerdChargerCallback: Json: { "type": "none", "name": "none", "connected": false, "current_mA": 0, "message_source": "powerd" }
    If I check with Govnah for instance, the battery is not charging but USB power is used to feed the device as current is permanently equal to 0 mA :

So I tried and found a workaround. Of course for charging, I can use a touchstone, for every file transfert, it works via Wifi using this for instance : WiFi File Sharing | webOS Nation. It is a great app. It is very easy to setup and works perfectly. If you want to use some palm-* tools bundled with the SDK or for instance use WOSQI, I suggest using this method Novacom - WebOS Internals. It works via Wifi of course but you may have to setup Windows firewall to allow the connections with the device.

It is not perfect, as you have to travel with your touchstone and if you have a big problem, without USB I guess it is impossible to doctor, but it is better than nothing.

I notice that in another Veer, a EU one I got in Germany, the inside part of the magnetic connector making the connection with the socked on the main board has a slightly different design than the one I have in my US one with which I have these problems. One connector is marked "Rev A", the other "Rev 0". Don't know if it has something to do with the problems I encountered.

Bye,

Lionel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RumoredNow likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast