Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Same problem with my phone. Checked the cable, still attached.
    It asks for USB, I tap the screen, it goes to USB mode for about a minute then kicks out. My PC sees a drive but cannot access it. Then it kicks back out. PC says no driver but it (PC) worked with my last Veer. (that the screen stopped working on today. Oops, dropped it from my pocket onto a rug and screen stopped)
    After removing the back cover (carefully) and checking the cable I still had the same problem. then I decided to get desperate and try something radical. I cleaned the terminals with rubbing alcohol. Dam it worked. :-)
    I am now uploading photos and music to my new Veer.
    I still love this phone.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Ok here is a good one. I couldn't get my new Veer to back up. I figured because my old one was still powered up and without a screen functioning I couldn't power it off. Battery had to come out. Took off the back cover, removed the battery, (pretty easy to do btw) and at the same time figured I would removed the front trim as well. Once powered down I was able to back up and restore my new Veer. :-)
    once that was all done I put my old Veer back together, powered it up and THE SRCEEN WAS WORKING AGAIN! Now I have another spare???
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    I've attached 2 pictures - the first is with the cable loose but in its "unmolested" position; the second shows the cable and connector separated. All you need to do to remate it to press gently with a fingertip or blunt end of a pen or such. It should not take much pressure and you should hear a little "click" when it connects...
    where is this cable area supposed to be? can't find one place to insert the pen or fingertip.
    Quote Originally Posted by warp drive View Post
    I'm hoping someone in this august group can help me out with my Veer problem. I purchased a used AT&T Veer and I can' seem to get it to work with the USB cable. It charges fine on a Touchstone, but with the cable, Nada. Similarly, the Veer is not recognized by a PC when using the USB cable. I assumed the cable was bad, so I bought another one, and there's no difference. The Veer is working fine otherwise. I'm using it successfully with Straight Talk and charging on the Touchstone is no problem that's what I intend to do anyway. But I want to install PreWare and do some other things, and can't without being able to access the device via USB. I can't re-Doctor without the USB, etc. I've searched the forums, haven't found anyone who has a problem both with charging and data connection. Any suggestions? I fear I have a serious hardware problem here.
    After trying for a while, this was the solution:

type #*8727277# press to DIAL this number , USB passthrough control will appear, and here all theose should be set to NONE.

This is all, it worked with mine, hope it helps!!!
    Good Luck!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    Even without developer mode enabled (i.e. novacomd running) he should be able to conenct to the PC as a USB device.

More likely is that the internal cable has gotten bumped loose. The flex circuit lead runs from the 5-pin external jack to a teeeny little connector that is a press-fit (i.e. could have come loose if someone swapped the battery or if the phone got dropped _just_ right.

I've attached 2 pictures - the first is with the cable loose but in its "unmolested" position; the second shows the cable and connector separated. All you need to do to remate it to press gently with a fingertip or blunt end of a pen or such. It should not take much pressure and you should hear a little "click" when it connects...
    Try just a little moisture (I lick my finger lightly) & just swipe the contacts on the Veer & on the magnetic connector. Works every time for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by katalinR View Post
    After trying for a while, this was the solution:

type #*8727277# press to DIAL this number , USB passthrough control will appear, and here all theose should be set to NONE.

This is all, it worked with mine, hope it helps!!!
    Good Luck!!!
    interesting. I tried this and I am asked for a validation code, available from your Palm representative. Learn something new almost every day!
    I have a hard time connecting to my main PC with all 3 of my Veers. Cleaning teh contacts helps but not always. A few weeks ago I tried to connect it to my Netbook and voila! It connects every time! Try it on another PC.
    My magnetic cable connector has failed most of the time for years now, both for charging and for USB connection to PC.
    This is driving me crazy because I love the HP Veer and want to keep on using it.
    I actually have 2 HP Veer phones, one is 6 years old and the other is new (from Amazon). I also have a selection of magnetic cables, including 2 new ones.

The new phone is only slightly intermittent (connects 1 out of 2 tries).
    The old one fails to connect about 99 times in 100 tries for charging, (fails to show lightning icon on battery icon, or ding-dong).
    And the old one no longer connects at all to PC USB port. The PC shows "USB device not recognized", and an error message in Device Manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

The new phone connects to the PC USB after one or two tries, using the same cable and USB port
    I have tried this on HP Pavilion laptop with Win 7 and HP Omen laptop with Win 10, identical failures. I have tried all the USB ports on both PCs

I especially want to fix the old phone because it has many photos to upload. I did email a few to myself, but there are too many, including some big videos I want.

I recently replaced the battery on the old phone, and carefully lifted and reseated the 5 pin ribbon connector while inside. It worked better for a while after that but after a few days it again fails to connect almost all the time, for charging or USB. Of course I have rebooted the phone many times, during and in-between connection tries, no luck.

My attempts to fix or diagnose the contacts:
    -blow on them, to get condensation (used to work about 1 in 5 times, no more)
    -cleaned with rubbing alcohol (no effect)
    -carefully scraped with jeweler's screwdriver all 5 gold buttons in Veer, for max brightness. (this used to have immediate good effect)
    -similarly cleaned and scraped spring loaded pins in magnetic connector
    -applied 5Volts from external power supply, + to middle gold button, - to bottom gold button (after observing this voltage on pins of cable, which is always 4.69V) This showed charging right away at first, but no longer works.
    -tried multiple charge adapters (120VAC) including new Veer adapters and Apple iPad adapter.

I doubt this is a software or driver problem because the new Veer connects pretty well, right out of the box, without even any WebOS Doctor work.

Is there a known fix for this intermittent connector problem?
    bump - previous post was caught in the filter. Sorry for the issues all!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougInAmbler View Post
    My magnetic cable connector has failed most of the time for years now, both for charging and for USB connection to PC....
    ..Is there a known fix for this intermittent connector problem?
    Followup to my own post above:
    My old HP Veer is slowly dying now, at 23% battery with no possibility of recharge when 0% is reached, since it won't charge from the magnetic cable (even though the battery is new).

One positive thing: it holds constant battery % as long as the magnetic cable is connected to the 120VAC charger or to USB port. The voltage won't drop, but it also won't go up. This was observed by previous post on this thread. Could be a clue that the connector pins are working and that the problem is elsewhere. The PC still gives a "USB device not recognized" when connected or when the Veer reboots while connected, again indicating there is some connection through some of the pins.

I have tediously transferred data from old Veer to new:
    -Contacts had to be one-by-one transferred to SIM card, losing all data except one primary phone number, better than nothing. There seems to be no way to migrate contacts (If I have a Palm profile somewhere I don't know how to access it). I may copy the other data manually, while the phone yet lives (if I undock it from the PC it would be dead in a few hours).
    -Photos and videos I had to email to myself, one by one.

The new Veer is working great, though I still need to Doctor it and add the WebOS apps I like.

I still am interested in rescuing the old one, as practice for what will eventually befall the new one when the cable quits connecting.

Some worries:
    -did I damage the gold buttons by scraping them too often? This was effective for a while but became less and less so. Perhaps it is super-thin gold, not to be scraped.
    -did I over-voltage it by applying +5V from external power supply to the middle gold button? I swung the voltage from 4.5 to about 5.3, was that too high? Nominal draw is 1Amp at 5V (that seems like a lot, but that's what the charger says). Again, the external power suddenly brought the "charging icon" to life for a while, but on ensuing tries it always failed.
    -did I damage the new battery and is it worth the trouble to swap the old one back in? (it was working when removed).
    Quote Originally Posted by DougInAmbler View Post
    My old HP Veer is slowly dying now, at 23% battery with no possibility of recharge when 0% is reached, since it won't charge from the magnetic cable (even though the battery is new).
    Now at 18% charge, still slowly dying.
    Are there any ideas on how to get the Veer to again accept a charge? Any hope that it's a software problem, and that Web OS doctor could cure the failure to recharge?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    When my Veer does that (won't charge, plug it in, voltage constant) I let the thing die all the way. Let it complain it will shut off. Finally it'll die. Then I plug in the connector and she charges just fine.
    Hi there,

I know you have not asked but:
    1. Do you have Preware installed? Search fow Wifi File Sharing and you should be able to copy all your media to your PC using WiFi.
    2. After step one there is a webOS command (in the phone app) that lets you create a vcf file with all your contacts. You can then import it to Google or Hotmail (the services that are working).

Good luck!

Ps. My mother uses my former Veer and last week I noticed the USB cable did not charge or connect to the PC so I will try some of the methods explained here and report back! Luckily she charges the Veer with a Touchstone and copies her media using WiFi file sharing
    Last edited by guilledil; 10/28/2016 at 04:17 PM.
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kancept View Post
    When my Veer does that (won't charge, plug it in, voltage constant) I let the thing die all the way. Let it complain it will shut off. Finally it'll die. Then I plug in the connector and she charges just fine.
    Thanks, that seems to work, in a way.
    I disconnected the charger, let the charge go to near 0% (didn't get a shutdown warning) and then reconnected the charge cable.
    Though it did not show the "lightning flash" across the battery icon to show that it was charging, after a few hours the battery icon went green, and it shows 100% charge.

So Kancept, you have given my old HP Veer new life, thanks very much.
    Now I wonder if it's a fixable software bug that the Veer does not show that it is actually charging up.
    Still to figure out: why won't it connect to the USB port. It still gets a Win 10 error "USB device not recognized".
    Preemptive likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I wait until mine dies all the way. Like dead. Then once I plug the charger in, all is fine. If I recall, this was an issue with Veers. I know I picked that trick up from this forum many moons ago, and it has affected both Veers I've owned. Oh, I do notice that when it won't charge, I really never see the battery indicator update often. Like it might change every 6 hours or so. Always made me think that maybe a battery charging service was hung or something.

As for the USB cable, I don't use Win10, so I don't know. I have Win7 in a VM on my Mac, so if I have to do stuff to it, I use the Mac, or the old Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by kancept View Post
    I wait until mine dies all the way. Like dead. Then once I plug the charger in, all is fine. If I recall, this was an issue with Veers. I know I picked that trick up from this forum many moons ago, and it has affected both Veers I've owned. Oh, I do notice that when it won't charge, I really never see the battery indicator update often. Like it might change every 6 hours or so. Always made me think that maybe a battery charging service was hung or something.
    Charging seems to be OK, as you say, though I no longer see the lightning flash on battery for proof. It looks like it holds a constant charge when plugged into USB (never increases or decreases) and goes to full charge when plugged into AC adapter. The battery icon does nicely go green at 100%. I still wonder if this is a fixable bug in the software, to show the lightning flash when it is really charging.
    As for the USB cable, I don't use Win10, so I don't know. I have Win7 in a VM on my Mac, so if I have to do stuff to it, I use the Mac, or the old Windows.
    I have both Win 7 and Win 10, and my old HP Veer gets the same error "USB device not recognized" on both. Each PC does notice the connect and disconnect of the device though. My new HP Veer connects to both of these PCs with no problem.
    Since the USB failed to connect at the same time I was not getting normal "charging" feedback, I assumed there was a common problem, most likely with the conductivity of the gold pads on Veer to the magnetic cable. I have scrubbed and burnished both, as I said. I wonder if reloading a USB driver into the Veer would help, but I don't know if there is one available.

I can't help saying that this HP Veer is a wonderful compact smart phone, even though it is now going on 8 years old? However, I am still stuck: the old one still gets email and has Certificate Grabber to update gmail server connections, while these don't yet work in the new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
    1. Do you have Preware installed? Search for Wifi File Sharing and you should be able to copy all your media to your PC using WiFi.
    2. After step one there is a webOS command (in the phone app) that lets you create a vcf file with all your contacts. ..
    Thanks, I do have PreWare, and probably could have installed the phone app for contact export, which I had vaguely heard of. But I had already tediously and manually copied my contacts over. I used the inelegant Veer Contacts feature of selecting each Contact and using Menu->Copy to SIM. So after transferring the SIM card to new HP Veer I had at least one phone number for each. But extra info had to be re-entered piece by piece, like email address, notes, etc.
    You don't need an app for contact export, it's built-in using a dialer code. I can't remember the code, but it's been posted on here several times. Open the dialer and enter #*66623# and the tap the call button. Then just press the Cellbrite export button and it will write all contacts to a vcf file in the root of the USB drive.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/02/2016 at 11:36 PM.
    kancept likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You don't need an app for contact export, it's built-in using a dialer code. I can't remember the code, but it's been posted on here several times. Open the dialer and enter #*66623# and the tap the call button. Then just press the Cellbrite export button and it will write all contacts to a vcf file in the root of the USB drive.
    Thanks for clarification. It works, mostly.
    Repeating for completeness, to export Contacts from HP Veer:
    -Open the Phone app
    -Dial #*66623#, and call
    -Press the Cellbrite Export button
    -The file will be created as /media/internal/.temp/PmMIgration.vcf
    -Find the file using InternalzPro or other File Manager on Veer (note you must enable Preference 'Show Hidden files' to see the .temp directory)
    -Click the file, then 'Info' command
    -Click the "Email" button to send it to yourself via WiFi to your mail server

That all worked for me, but the email to self only gets as far as my gmail Outbox on the Veer, so I can't receive it on the laptop. I tried 6 times and all 6 attempts are lying still in that Outbox. I also tried starting with the Mail app and attaching the file (which I had to copy to /media/internal to get it found), this also is stuck in the Outbox. Very puzzling, as my gmail Inbox is working fine. And also I just today again grabbed new certificate for smtp.gmail.com, which should certainly enable outgoing mail.

Also I tried texting, but the Message app only allows Photos and Videos to be attached.

This contacts export is not a burning issue to me now that I have manually copied them, but I would like to see the procedure work, reliably
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12