webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > 2.2.3/2.2.4 in call reboots and possible solution?
2.2.3/2.2.4 in call reboots and possible solution?

Old 04/11/2012, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

In the past couple of weeks I had a few reboots on my 2.2.4 Veer while calling. It seems that the phone on the other side rings once, then the phone just completely shuts down.

I was able to pull the /var/log/messages file from the phone for 2 occasions and trying to pinpoint what happened exactly.

I called numbers +31626XXXXXX and +31610XXXXXX (changed the last 6 digits for privacy reasons ).

Anyone has any ideas about what causes this exactly and how to solve it?

Attached are the relevant parts from the logs (last 2 lines are after the restart)
Attached Files
File Type: txt errorlog.txt (16.5 KB, 21 views) Email Attachment
File Type: txt errorlog2.txt (17.2 KB, 11 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Herrie; 04/11/2012 at 03:21 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2012, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the same issue so i go back to 2.1.2.
The issue is random, after i have uninstall all advanced patch the issue stop for one contact and start with another one... But i have installed other patch for phone...
Do you have try to uninstall all patch for phone? and try without patch?
For me the issue is on 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 with patch...

Anyway the only one can help is Rod... I don't think if you send the logs to webOS Dev team they help you.. But you can try...

Last edited by wMarck90; 04/11/2012 at 05:21 PM.
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2012, 04:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had the same issue after updating to 2.2.3. The problem was solved after installing the modem firmware.
Anyway, recently my phone started to shut down randomly. Without any reason=) I even got late to my classes, because it shut down during the night and the alarm clock failed to make its job)
And another bug is HUGE battery drain. Once it went from 95% to just 3% in just 1 minute, during which the phone I tryed to unlock the phone=)

Anyway I love my veer=)
P.S. Try to reinstall the modem firmware.
A51Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2012, 05:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

You might want to try calibrating your battery, with Dr.Battery, found in Preware.
Old 04/12/2012, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
You might want to try calibrating your battery, with Dr.Battery, found in Preware.
AFAIK Dr. Battery doesn't work on the Veer due to A6 chip?
Old 04/14/2012, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Herrie, take a look at webOS Doctor 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 for Veer extract the wr.tar and and att.tar
On wr.tar do you found this broadwayumtsfw-row_1.0.0-257_armv7.ipk
On att.tar do you found this broadwayumtsfw-att_1.0.0-264_armv7.ipk

On control.tar.gz there is a file postinst
This file do the same things you do with your script mdmupdate.sh but one different move at the end...

Quote:

if [ "umts" = "cdma" ]
then
/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater ${ARGS} < /usr/lib/modem/cdmaCust.tar >> /var/log/installscripts.log
else
/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater ${ARGS} -r /usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt >> /var/log/installscripts.log
fi

result=$?
echo end with result $result >> /var/log/installscripts.log

# return PmModemUpdater's exit code to PmUpdater
exit $result
The file do this
Quote:
/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater ${ARGS} -r /usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt >> /var/log/installscripts.log
This file set the Carrier and other change... Maybe this step needed to working correctly?
I think this is the solution for stop the reboot...

Also look at war.tar and you found another file audiod-config-eu_1.0-13_broadway.ipk
This file set the the busy tone of carrier... I think this is a limitation of EU contry, but you can see if this can help to solve the mono audio problem on 2.2.4

Let me know if this help... I can't try because the only Veer i have is the primary phone of my girlfriend and she need...

Last edited by wMarck90; 04/14/2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04/14/2012, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
Hey Herrie, take a look at webOS Doctor 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 for Veer extract the wr.tar and and att.tar
On wr.tar do you found this broadwayumtsfw-row_1.0.0-257_armv7.ipk
On att.tar do you found this broadwayumtsfw-att_1.0.0-264_armv7.ipk

On control.tar.gz there is a file postinst
This file do the same things you do with your script mdmupdate.sh but one different move at the end...

The file do this

This file set the Carrier and other change... Maybe this step needed to working correctly?
I think this is the solution for stop the reboot...

Also look at war.tar and you found another file audiod-config-eu_1.0-13_broadway.ipk
This file set the the busy tone of carrier... I think this is a limitation of EU contry, but you can see if this can help to solve the mono audio problem on 2.2.4

Let me know if this help... I can't try because the only Veer i have is the primary phone of my girlfriend and she need...
Thanks, that's very helpful

Funny thing is that usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt exists, but there's also a palm_nv_items.txt in the broadwayumts.tar.gz which differs from the one in usr/lib/modem...

I guess I'll give it a go sometime
Old 04/14/2012, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Thanks, that's very helpful

Funny thing is that usr/lib/modem/palm_nv_items.txt exists, but there's also a palm_nv_items.txt in the broadwayumts.tar.gz which differs from the one in usr/lib/modem...

I guess I'll give it a go sometime
Let know if this finally solved the random shutdown, so we can finally have a stable 2.2.3 and 2.2.4..
I think HP never release this...
Old 04/14/2012, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Let know if this finally solved the random shutdown, so we can finally have a stable 2.2.3 and 2.2.4..
I think HP never release this...
Updated mine with the one from the broadway tar file. Will keep an eye on it for the next week or 2 and report back.
Thanked By: wMarck90
Old 04/14/2012, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Updated mine with the one from the broadway tar file. Will keep an eye on it for the next week or 2 and report back.
Thanks, are you on 2.2.4?
Do you try also the change the file like audiod-config-eu_1.0-13_broadway.ipk from 2.1.1 doctor?
Hoping we have found the solution...
Old 04/15/2012, 04:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Thanks, are you on 2.2.4?
Do you try also the change the file like audiod-config-eu_1.0-13_broadway.ipk from 2.1.1 doctor?
Hoping we have found the solution...
No I didn't do the audio one, but it only changes 1 simple value for the busy tone, I'm quite sure that doesn't cause the reboots
Old 04/15/2012, 05:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
No I didn't do the audio one, but it only changes 1 simple value for the busy tone, I'm quite sure that doesn't cause the reboots
I'm sorry, not for reboot but the mono audio on 2.2.4.
So it's the limitation of EU country... Anyway i'm looking to see the change from 2.2.4 and 2.1.1. to solve also the mono audio...
Old 04/15/2012, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I'm sorry, not for reboot but the mono audio on 2.2.4.
So it's the limitation of EU country... Anyway i'm looking to see the change from 2.2.4 and 2.1.1. to solve also the mono audio...
I doubt this would fix it, only thing it does is the following:

In "etc/audio/a/global.conf" it sets "[carrier]busy_tone=5"

The mono problem is not there with Bluetooth headset, so that's what I'm using for music now
Old 04/16/2012, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Any news, on this, this is a problem on a couple of my veers.

dbmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2012, 01:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
Any news, on this, this is a problem on a couple of my veers.
I'm still testing, not too many calls since Sunday yet, so no real data to check with...
Old 04/22/2012, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I had 1 reboot again yesterday in call! Unfortunately I wasn't at home for the last 2 days so I couldn't pull the log
Old 04/22/2012, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I had 1 reboot again yesterday in call! Unfortunately I wasn't at home for the last 2 days so I couldn't pull the log
So the reboot it's still here, but the situation is better now?
Old 04/23/2012, 01:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
So the reboot it's still here, but the situation is better now?
I only had it once so far. It DOES seem to happen usually after dialing from the call log somehow (usually a missed call).

I'll keep an eye on it in the next couple of weeks as well to see how it will go, it does seem less, but then again, last week had a quiet week with the number of calls
Old 04/24/2012, 12:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

I get this on my Pre2 as well, I think it stops if I force a 2G connection, so I'm wondering if its a 2.2.X problem with nothing to do with the install?

dbmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
I get this on my Pre2 as well, I think it stops if I force a 2G connection, so I'm wondering if its a 2.2.X problem with nothing to do with the install?
I wonder if maybe that's the reason I've never run across it, I force my Veer to run in 2G mode all the time.
Paralel is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0