webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
Like Tree15Likes

Old 04/05/2012, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

The following script process creating the webOS 2.2.4/4 Doctor have been tested by several users and myself (on an AT&T VEER)... YMMV, as we are using a Doctor process, I doubt it could brick yours but I must warn it has been reported A6 devices can be bricked.

I was asked could I create a script to create a VEER webOS 2.2.3/4 builds... Here they are... Please read this Post twice...

Follow this URL to install the meta-doctor application:
Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Pushed Scripts to github, these scripts are now part of the Meta-Doctor Application; you no longer need to copy these scripts!

I have finally heard it works on a WR (ROW) device, (script has been tested and WR Doctor builds)...

Does this process work, yes for AT&T and for WR, does it pass validation YES, and does it eat a VEER for dinner...
Sure hope it does not but I must warn it has been reported A6 devices can be bricked...

Steps to create doctor, these scripts are now part of the meta-doctor scripts set so you should not have to copy the script to meta-doctor/scripts directory, but you still need to copy Veer and Pre2 doctors that are needed for the first script (the script will pull them down if not there), but it will want the webOS 2.2.3/4 files (I will not post the files or where to get them google is ones friend here).

Running the first script:

./scripts/build-veer-2.2.3 carrier optional --wifi-only
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.4 carrier optional --wifi-only

So for AT&T
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.3 att
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.4 att

So for AT&T WiFi Only
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.3 att --wifi-only
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.4 att --wifi-only

So for WR
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.3 wr
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.4 wr

So for WR WiFi Only
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.3 wr --wifi-only
./scripts/build-veer-2.2.4 wr --wifi-only

Running the second script (run the first script first, It will auto detect the carrier used by the doctor created in the first script and superfy it):
./scripts/super-veer-2.2.3 (Has not been released yet)
./scripts/super-veer-2.2.4

Background on First Script:

Now once the script runs the first time it unpacks the Veer 2.1.x and Pre2 (webOS 2.2.3 only) doctor(s), then stops informing that the directory “Not prepared for webOS 2.2.3/4 build extract” and “Please create 223/4 directory under …” and it gives you the directory where the directory “223/4” should be created…

For webOS 2.2.3: Use terminal to mkdir –p DOCTOR/223
For webOS 2.2.4: Use terminal to mkdir –p DOCTOR/224

Where DOCTOR is the name of the directory given to you by the last command.

Re-run the script now it complains, “Not prepared for webOS 2.2.3/4 build extract” and “webOS 2.2.3/4 rootfs file not present”.

Now copy the VEER webOS 2.2.3/4 rootfs file, the updated boot tar to the 223/4 directory (I will not tell anyone where to get the backup webOS 2.2.3/4 files, I will not tell you the file names, I will not tell you anything about them, except they exist in the wild), your custom boot logo, if you wish to stay with the HP one, the build will now pull the standard HP BootLogo under scripts/bootlogo.tga, and NOW you can copy a custom uImage.

Note: The script now handles this if a custom BootLogo is not found it will extract the HP BootLogo. The HP logo is in the following GZIPED TAR file, build/veer-p160una-att-2.1.2/rootfs/boot/boot-images.tar.gz. Just copy that GZIPED TAR and use gzip -d boot-images.tar.gz to unpack it, then use tar -xf boot-images.tar and copy the BootLogo.tga.

Re-run the script, now it will ungzip both webOS 2.2.3/4 files just copied and it will then copy the main rootfs file and then transform it…

When that script is done, a Veer webOS 2.2.3/4 doctor is created and moved to the “downloads” directory.

If you used the first script’s JAR file and run it, it will be a webOS 2.2.3/4 stock (but again not supered, this is just to test build the doctor, I got it according to the MD5SUMS the closest I can come to a stock webOS 2.2.3/4 doctor, there are a few files that had to change)

What the Stock Doctor does NOT do, Update the Touch Panel Firmware, however (if you are already updated it will not bring you back), A6 Update (on the Veer I am testing on it had brought it back each time, YMMV)... What will it do, if you need it, the doctor will update the Modem firmware (will not force). Why can't I update the TP and A6 well HP/PALM scripts run from the existing uImage (provided by the seed Veer doctor), which has the older version, they do not run the newer ROM just brought down, but the version contained within. But now the script can handle a custom uImage, which if used and modified correctly the entire custom Doctor can now handle the TouchPanel and A6 firmware.

So to fix the Stock/Custom Doctor I enabled Developer Mode by default (Based on herrie82 | HP Veer webOS 2.2.3/2.2.4 update they even have videos):

FYI to revert just remove the following file: novacom_enabled under /var/gadget.

Use novaterm to update the TP:
/sbin/stop hidd
/usr/bin/PmTpUpdater
/sbin/start hidd

Use novaterm to update the A6:
/usr/bin/PmA6Updater /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt

Note: So if someone was able to use the existing open source palm rom (webOS 2.1.2) and uImage and could compile it with the rest of the commands needed and include the update TP/A6 firmware... We tried this on Page 4 (ugly did not work)!

This continued on page 8 now a procedure and python script to make it happen...

Unpacking and repacking U-Boot uImage files
Unpacking and repacking U-Boot images part 2

The first script (webOS 2.2.3) has been tested by others and it worked, I have not posted a second script that will create a new super doctor with updated webOS 2.2.3 components (from the Pre3 AT&T build), Updated Bing Maps, transforms webOS 2.1.2 Maps app to GoogleMaps, bring back the older YouTube App and Amazon MP3 (from webOS 2.1.2) and Motionapps Classic Bits. The main reason is the webOS 2.2.3 Pre3 version also has updated Screen Resolution which makes it un-usable on the Veer, if there is interest I can attempt to just replace the old versions with the current version and change the md5sums just for those files...

The first script (webOS 2.2.4) has been tested by others and it worked, I have posted a second script that will create a new super doctor with updated webOS 2.2.4 components (from the Pre2 build), Updated Bing Maps, transforms webOS 2.1.2 Maps app to GoogleMaps, bring back the older YouTube App and Amazon MP3 (from webOS 2.1.2) and Motionapps Classic Bits.

When there are errors:

The build creates two txt files one under the doctor/223/4 directory (by doctor it is that name of the doctor directory of the seed doctor IE for AT&T it is veer-p160una-att-2.1.2).

The super script creates a superveer.txt either post them or send them (PM) to me, so I can see what it was trying to do (you should also send me the output of the command line).

Let me know how it goes and Thanks for testing this process, and please report all issues discovered even if everything worked...

Version Log (at version 9.1)
V9.1- Fixed Bug in Build Veer script... (was 223 is now 224 for uImage detection)
V9 - Updated Scripts from meta doctor Application HP/Palm changed the Source URL.
V8 - Updated to handle custom uImage and if no custom BootLogo is found, it will extract the HP BootLogo from webOS 2.1.2.
V7 - Fix rootfs and got a doctor to build and test on an AT&T device, released Super Script, and webOS 2.2.3 base script.
V7 - Now pushed to the meta-doctor application set of scripts.
V6 - Removed lib boot files from build, so I think I proved it is something in the webOS 2.2.4 rootfs it does not like... (Removed V6/5 as they were failed by the rootfs).
V5 - Back to basics, modified V1 without XML conversion for webOS 2.2.4 disk structure...
V4 - Fixed AT&T XML file parse issue? The Logic for WR (ROW) was correct and did not need to change. (Removed V4&3 as the Pre 3 base Doctor will not work for webOS 2.2.4)
V3 - Updated script to use Pre3 Java Class Files (according to MANIFEST.MF file there are four files different from the Pre3 (WR) to the Pre2 WR webOS 2.2.4 build, the carrier.tar, webOS.tar, languagePicker.properties, and the recoverytools.config).
V2 - Updated script to use Pre2 Java Class Files (according to MANIFEST.MF file there are four files different from the Pre3 (Verizon) to the Pre2 WR webOS 2.2.4 build, the carrier.tar, webOS.tar, languagePicker.properties, and the recoverytools.config), also cleaned up the script. (Removed as the Pre 2 base Doctor will not work for webOS 2.2.4)
V1 - Released build-Veer-2.2.4-V1
*****First Release Veer Build Script Only (removed as the Veer base Doctor will not work for webOS 2.2.4)
Attached Files
File Type: zip super-veer-2.2.4.zip (3.2 KB, 155 views) Email Attachment
File Type: zip build-veer-2.2.3.zip (4.3 KB, 45 views) Email Attachment
File Type: zip build-veer-2.2.4.zip (4.4 KB, 75 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by John Steffes; 08/29/2012 at 08:21 AM.
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman, 86ipods, maxbg and 2 others like this.
Old 04/06/2012, 04:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

John. thanks for this! Again one of your amazing Doctor scripts Looked like my suggestion to you a while ago wasn't such a bad one after all?

Will try it when I have some time, but will likely only be next week Sunday or so
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 04/06/2012, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok this post was temporary taken down, but once validated that it was just a script is was approved again...

I will not post any doctor on any post on any web site, HP/Palm has not given me the right to distribute their source. I do not wish to violate any copyright laws in the USA. However, we do have fair use laws in the USA.

These scripts I create are based on the fair use laws and I want to stress, I request nobody use my scripts to produce a doctor and then publicly post a doctor... This is for one to use on their own device and only on their device, according to the EULA of HP/PALM.

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/06/2012 at 06:33 PM.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 04/06/2012, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does A6 gets updated after this? I'll probably give this a try and if all is good I might even go back to my Veer...

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Does A6 gets updated after this? I'll probably give this a try and if all is good I might even go back to my Veer...
A6 firmware is part of the rootfs, however, I do not have a veer to test, when we get it to pass validation, it will update the firmware as this is the webOS doctor for the veer, just with the webOS 2.2.4 root file system.

This is still in the testing phase, once someone tests it and lets me know the results, I will fix the script at that time.
Thanked By: ToniCipriani
Old 04/08/2012, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Doctoring my Veer to 2.2.4 as we speak...

**fingers crossed**

PS: did you turn on debugging or something? I notice the Java console is way more noisier than usual, and it's slowing down trenchcoat a lot.

Also another curious point... why not use the Pre 3 doctor as a base instead use the Pre2? Isn't the Veer a closer relative to the Pre 3 since both of them use a Qualcomm ARMv7 processor?

Old 04/08/2012, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

So... not working.

Doctor gets to about 52%, then starts again at 14%, and keeps doing this forever. It keeps retrying trenchcoat.

I've posted the Java console here: Trenchcoat error - Pastebin.com

Old 04/08/2012, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Doctoring my Veer to 2.2.4 as we speak...

**fingers crossed**

PS: did you turn on debugging or something? I notice the Java console is way more noisier than usual, and it's slowing down trenchcoat a lot.

Also another curious point... why not use the Pre 3 doctor as a base instead use the Pre2? Isn't the Veer a closer relative to the Pre 3 since both of them use a Qualcomm ARMv7 processor?
If one compares the files in webOS 2.2.4 they are the same on pre2/pre3 the difference in the builds are kernel related. So it does not matter which build I use to bring over the updated components. I have not released the super script yet. Still waiting for someone to tell me if base build works first.
Old 04/08/2012, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah... the base build failed. See above, trenchcoat loop.

Old 04/08/2012, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah... the base build failed. See above, trenchcoat loop.
Thanks...

Looking at your paste bin, it does not like the trenchcoat lvm mappings from the pre2.

Not sure if there is a f s c k (not sure why that is a swear word) that needs to take place on each volume, on your device or if this is normal.

FYI the Veer is the last "Palm" device all Palm devices have a "P" in their name P100, P101,P102,P121,P160... The HP devices all start with "H" HP Pre3 (HSTNH-F30CV, HSTNH-F30CN, and HSTNH-F30CE) and HP Touchpad (HSTNH-I29C and HSTNH-I30C).

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/08/2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04/08/2012, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Doesn't seem to be fully complete, some of the stuff remained on the Command Prompt, but here's the output I redirected from the stock 2.1.2 Veer Doctor.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt doctor.txt (234.7 KB, 29 views) Email Attachment

Old 04/08/2012, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Doesn't seem to be fully complete, some of the stuff remained on the Command Prompt, but here's the output I redirected from the stock 2.1.2 Veer Doctor.

Hope this helps.
Ok, looking at your output...

<INFO> Running "resizefat -r /dev/mapper/store-media"
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
71:48/20, 72:50/20, 74:56/20, 75:45/20, 76:45/20, 77:52/20
Not automatically fixing this.

Your media needs to run (D O S F S C K) look for File System Checker in webOS (specifically DOS related) to fix this.

Looks like the same issue with the PrePlus going from webOS 2.1.0 to webOS 2.2.4, they changed the Java Class files for the new file system DARE and so I will have to transform the Pre2 doctor to be a Veer Doctor (if it works) or we leave the XML file the way it is and we forget about DARE (Data At Rest Encryption).

So I attached the second version of the script on the first post which was based on Pre2 not Pre3, well according to the MANIFEST.MF there are four files different from the Pre3 (Verizon) and Pre2 WR (carrier.tar, webOS.tar, languagePicker.properties and recoverytool.config).

This Pre2 build was replaced with the Pre3 build...

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/10/2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04/09/2012, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'll give it a try tonight with V2.
Old 04/09/2012, 06:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Didn't work. 42% and it jumped right back to begin trenchcoat again.

Stay tuned for the pastebin...

--

Seems like the same error. Also I noticed there's also a suspicious "cannot find /etc/fstab" as well.

http://pastebin.com/upLBQNTB

Old 04/09/2012, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Didn't work. 42% and it jumped right back to begin trenchcoat again.

Stay tuned for the pastebin...

--

Seems like the same error. Also I noticed there's also a suspicious "cannot find /etc/fstab" as well.

Veer v2 - Pastebin.com
Without a full copy of the command line, this is very hard to understand what it is doing...

Is there anyway to copy the entire command line so I can see from the java -jar to the error?

I am not sure where to go from here...

Thanks for testing this process...

I have compared the xml file from the veer/pre3/pre2 and the images.xml from the webOS 2.2.4 rootfs from the veer and they are all formatted the same. This is a lot harder to test without a device...

FYI I still see the error with your media, the backup and primary should not be different.
Old 04/09/2012, 10:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well I did try with that doctor.txt to redirect the output, but it seems like only part of it is redirected and it isn't formatted correctly. Let me think of some alternatives... or maybe even I can have Skype session with you with my desktop shared, then you can watch the entire thing, that's the best I can think of.

Old 04/10/2012, 12:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I did try with that doctor.txt to redirect the output, but it seems like only part of it is redirected and it isn't formatted correctly. Let me think of some alternatives... or maybe even I can have Skype session with you with my desktop shared, then you can watch the entire thing, that's the best I can think of.
So I tried transforming the Pre2 doctor to be a Veer Doctor, it also did not work...

So I have transformed the Pre3 doctor to be a Veer Doctor (if it works)?

So I attached the third version of the script on the first post which was based on Pre3 not Pre2, well according to the MANIFEST.MF there are four files different from the Pre3 (WR) and Pre2 WR (carrier.tar, webOS.tar, languagePicker.properties and recoverytool.config).

I also am now pulling the XML file from the Pre3 doctor, but comparing the image-update.xml and fstab file from the Veer webOS 2.2.4 backup files and the broadway.xml from webOS 2.1.x and the Pre3 mantaray.xml and the Pre2 roadrunner.xml, the Veer is configured more like the Pre3 with the tokens on the flash but the file system is still configured much like the Pre2.

So I have pulled all the files and compared and when I was done, I compared against the previous build, guess what the XML file ended up the same. So unless I misunderstand the XML file I must have that right? (I used the same process when I did this with the PixiPlus/PrePlus, so I am assuming the process is correct as those Doctor builds came out right)

There is newer bootie images (boot-images.tar.gz) and a bootie (boot.bin) file in webOS 2.2.4 (I am not using them). So when I look at the image-update.xml in webOS 2.2.4 this might need to be transformed to be like the original Veer builds (will look into this more). Not sure if the doctor uses it during the build, but as others have used the webOS 2.2.4 build using the existing method which does not have those parts updated I am assuming that it does not matter?

When I did this for the PixiPlus/PrePlus, I had more understanding as I have those devices and I played with them, as I do not have a Veer, I am having to have someone else test, which makes this process slower... I am trying to understand what the build is trying to do assuming the MANIFEST.MF is a lie and does not report all SHA checksums, maybe there is a difference after all.

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/10/2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04/10/2012, 06:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Alright... give me an hour or so, let me get dinner cooking first.

--

Tried... this one failed right off the bat. Can't even get to trenchcoat, saying broadway.xml is missing.

http://pastebin.com/1zAZxaA5

Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/10/2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04/10/2012, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Alright... give me an hour or so, let me get dinner cooking first.

--

Tried... this one failed right off the bat. Can't even get to trenchcoat, saying broadway.xml is missing.

Veer 3 - Pastebin.com
make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=att VERSION=2.2.4 unpack
ls -l build/veer-p160una-att-2.2.4/webOS/

-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 26853 Apr 15 2011 BadSys.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 160044 Apr 9 6:44 BootLogo.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 92565 Apr 15 2011 Charging.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 36673 Apr 15 2011 Disk.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 87835 Apr 15 2011 NoBatt.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 48178 Apr 15 2011 NoPower.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 26853 Apr 15 2011 NoSys.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 74779 Apr 15 2011 Panic.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 71862 Apr 15 2011 Sync.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 183116 Apr 15 2011 boot-broadway.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 4717 Apr 9 6:44 broadway.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 0 Apr 15 2011 broadwaycdmafw.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 22108160 Oct 25 21:46 broadwayumtsfw.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 346 Apr 15 2011 installer.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 362434560 Apr 9 6:44 nova-cust-image-broadway.rootfs.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 12566456 Apr 15 2011 nova-installer-image-broadway.uImage

make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=wr VERSION=2.2.4 unpack
ls -l build/veer-p160una-wr-2.2.4/webOS/

-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 26853 Feb 19 2011 BadSys.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 160044 Apr 9 6:44 BootLogo.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 92565 Feb 19 2011 Charging.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 36673 Feb 19 2011 Disk.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 87835 Feb 19 2011 NoBatt.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 48178 Feb 19 2011 NoPower.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 26853 Feb 19 2011 NoSys.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 74779 Feb 19 2011 Panic.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 71862 Feb 19 2011 Sync.tga
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 183116 Feb 19 2011 boot-broadway.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 4717 Apr 9 6:44 broadway.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 0 Feb 19 2011 broadwaycdmafw.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 22108160 Oct 25 21:46 broadwayumtsfw.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 346 Feb 19 2011 installer.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 362434560 Apr 9 6:44 nova-cust-image-broadway.rootfs.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 Jds staff 12541307 Feb 19 2011 nova-installer-image-broadway.uImage

I see broadway.xml on both...

Look in recoverytool.config see DeviceType=broadway

Please copy/paste the content ls -l of yours? or better yet a copy of the command line during your build and the VEERBLD.TXT?

Also output "broadway.xml cannot be parsed" I will double check the content...

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/10/2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04/10/2012, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

VEERBLD.txt here...
Attached Files
File Type: txt VEERBLD.TXT (6.4 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0