Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Hmm... I have issues on 2.1.2 where the phone frequently switches to airplane mode. Also seems related to a weak signal, but I can't make any sense of it. It switched to airplane mode once while sitting on the table and it frequently switches to airplane mode when I'm in the middle of a call. I was looking forward to trying the new modem firmware, but it sounds buggy.

Does the modem firmware come from qualcomm? Is this modem used in any other phones? I get the feeling that HP won't be receiving any more updates but perhaps we could extract a stable and updated firmware from another phone (if one exists).
    Quote Originally Posted by ollopa View Post
    Hmm... I have issues on 2.1.2 where the phone frequently switches to airplane mode. Also seems related to a weak signal, but I can't make any sense of it. It switched to airplane mode once while sitting on the table and it frequently switches to airplane mode when I'm in the middle of a call. I was looking forward to trying the new modem firmware, but it sounds buggy.

Does the modem firmware come from qualcomm? Is this modem used in any other phones? I get the feeling that HP won't be receiving any more updates but perhaps we could extract a stable and updated firmware from another phone (if one exists).
    I didn't have the airplane mode on 2.1.2 to be honest.

See Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems to be the following phones:
    Acer Liquid Metal, HP Veer, HTC Desire Z, Huawei U8800, NEC Casio Medias N-04C, Dell Smoke, Dell Flash, Huawei Ideos X5

I think we'd have the best chance with Huawei, HTC or Acer firmware since they update quite frequently. I doubt that we will find one from Dell or NEC.
    Looks like the Acer hasn't had any update in a while. The Huawei has a recent update but there's no telling if there's a modem update or not until the updata.app file is unpacked. I might try that later but for now I'm shelving the idea. There's every possibility that the modem command-set or feature-set have been customized by request for each phone maker, so the Huawei firmware might not work on the Veer even if I manage to extract it.

In the mean-time, I want to help investigate the audio problem and the firmware issues with 2.2.4. I set up an Ubuntu build machine last night, installed the CodeSourcery cross-compiler, and was able to rebuild the Palm 2.1.2 kernel for the Veer. Tonight I'll attempt to build a 2.2.4 kernel for the Veer and then we can start comparing differences in the audio driver source and experiment with different revisions of the audio driver.

I'll try to blog my command-line so others can follow in my footsteps if they wish.
    Does anyone know exactly how the magnetic connector works?

I am wondering if there is some firmware/hardware/whatever that controls it's "configuration" for use as a port for audio vs. port for USB.

My theory is that because there must be 4 conductors for the audio connection (L/R headphone, mic and ground) and USB needs at least 4 connections, some of the 5 pins are doing double duty, but wouldn't that mean that they have to be "re-configured" somehow to connect internally to audio hardware or USB hardware? I wonder if this is controlled in hardware or in software, and if in software, I wonder if there is a problem in this area that is causing the lack of stereo sound in the 2.2.4 OS.

Anyone know any information about how this really works?

Thanks.
    George,

There's some stuff in arch/arm/mach-msm/rpc_server_handset.c that gets called when you insert a headset and when you press a headset button. I also had a situation today where my headset wasn't recognized until I rebooted the phone. I think the hardware detects what is connected and notifies software of the event. Then it is up to software to tell the audio hardware how to route the appropriate signal to the connected device.

I just got 2.2.4 installed on my development Veer, so I'll begin playing with kernels tonight. It looks like Palm used the same Linux 2.6.29 kernel source as a starting point for 2.1.2 and 2.2.4, but back-ported and updated some of the drivers that constitute the BSP. Some of msm support is in the mainstream Linux source and may have been improved wince 2.6.29, while most of the msm-specific source Palm uses comes from Android.

It's hard to guess what changes were made, but the audio driver is one of the big inclusions. Other notable changes to the kernel config are enabling of the group scheduler, use of SLUB and the SLUB debugger, MSM memory lower-power mode is enabled, enabling of CONFIG_SND_JACK, and enabling of the memory leak detector.

My hypothesis is that hardware manages the USB/Audio switching depending on the impedance between two pins and that something rather similar to HD Audio jack detection takes place when the interface is switched into audio jack mode. The changes in the scheduler and the enabling of the memory debug options may be affecting performance and power consumption in this kernel.

It also appears that the interface to the baseband modem is a block of shared memory and that the driver comes from Google/Android.

In regards to the reboot problem that seems to be related to the modem firmware, it has been suggested to me that the modem is unlikely to be able to crash/reboot the phone and that the more likely chain of events is the modem confusing the driver which then causes the kernel to crash. Has anybody examined the log files after a reboot to see if there's a hint of where things went bad?

What are people's experiences using the 2.1.2 kernel under 2.2.4 (what things were broken, what worked)? Wifi worked for me as long as I kept the dhd.ko module in sync with the kernel.
    George,

There's some stuff in arch/arm/mach-msm/rpc_server_handset.c that gets called when you insert a headset and when you press a headset button. I also had a situation today where my headset wasn't recognized until I rebooted the phone. I think the hardware detects what is connected and notifies software of the event. Then it is up to software to tell the audio hardware how to route the appropriate signal to the connected device.

I just got 2.2.4 installed on my development Veer, so I'll begin playing with kernels tonight. It looks like Palm used the same Linux 2.6.29 kernel source as a starting point for 2.1.2 and 2.2.4, but back-ported and updated some of the drivers that constitute the BSP. Some of msm support is in the mainstream Linux source and may have been improved wince 2.6.29, while most of the msm-specific source Palm uses comes from Android.

It's hard to guess what changes were made, but the audio driver is one of the big inclusions. Other notable changes to the kernel config are enabling of the group scheduler, use of SLUB and the SLUB debugger, MSM memory lower-power mode is enabled, enabling of CONFIG_SND_JACK, and enabling of the memory leak detector.

My hypothesis is that hardware manages the USB/Audio switching depending on the impedance between two pins and that something rather similar to HD Audio jack detection takes place when the interface is switched into audio jack mode. The changes in the scheduler and the enabling of the memory debug options may be affecting performance and power consumption in this kernel.

It also appears that the interface to the baseband modem is a block of shared memory and that the driver comes from Google/Android.

In regards to the reboot problem that seems to be related to the modem firmware, it has been suggested to me that the modem is unlikely to be able to crash/reboot the phone and that the more likely chain of events is the modem confusing the driver which then causes the kernel to crash. Has anybody examined the log files after a reboot to see if there's a hint of where things went bad?

What are people's experiences using the 2.1.2 kernel under 2.2.4 (what things were broken, what worked)? Wifi worked for me as long as I kept the dhd.ko module in sync with the kernel.
    Please see 2.2.3/2.2.4 in call reboots and possible solution? it has quite some of my logs and findings with regards to the reboots
    George,

Thanks, ollopa. I assume you're referring to the kernel source? That's an avenue I haven't gone down yet, but would seem like a good idea.

I know creepingme has mentioned that when he boots the 2.1.2 kernel in his otherwise 2.2.4 installation he gets no sound at all. I suggested he may have to also use the audiod binary from 2.1.2, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    Thanks, ollopa. I assume you're referring to the kernel source? That's an avenue I haven't gone down yet, but would seem like a good idea.

I know creepingme has mentioned that when he boots the 2.1.2 kernel in his otherwise 2.2.4 installation he gets no sound at all. I suggested he may have to also use the audiod binary from 2.1.2, at least.
    Yes, I'm referring to the kernel source.

I just tested the 2.1.2 kernel under the 2.2.4 userland and audio does not work, as reported. audiod seems to run OK, though it may be looking for the wrong device... I don't know much about the Linux sound system.

It's not possible to just swapa out audiod -- it's linked against an older pulseaudio so the entire pa system would have to be moved as well.

For what it's worth, here are the differences in the versions:
    audiod-332.37-B. / audiod-368.52-B.
    pulseaudio 0.9.14 / pulseaudio 0.9.22
    George,

ollopa, do you think the change in the audio driver was just a different version of the same driver? I saw reference to a WM8994 driver in the 2.2.4 kernel config, but nothing similar in the 2.1.2 kernel. It made me wonder if they were using a completely different audio driver between the two versions?

(WM8994 is a Wolfson Micro audio chip.)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    ollopa, do you think the change in the audio driver was just a different version of the same driver? I saw reference to a WM8994 driver in the 2.2.4 kernel config, but nothing similar in the 2.1.2 kernel. It made me wonder if they were using a completely different audio driver between the two versions?

(WM8994 is a Wolfson Micro audio chip.)
    The WM8994 contains the ADCs and DACs. Its sampling rates and filter coefficients will determine the quality of the sound on the device. Its driver was merged into the mainline Linux kernel after 2.6.29 and it appears that Palm tried to port it to 2.6.29 to improve sound in WebOS 2.2.4 on the Veer. I wish I had block diagrams of the Veer to see how it connects to the MSM7230. The WM8994 overview states that it has 3 digital interfaces, two of which can operate simultaneously, so you can stream sound directly between the audio devices and baseband modem or the application processor. There are several different audio paths the signals can take and the operating system is able to control it via I2C.

My presumption is that the WM8994 has a set of defaults that are suitable for the Veer and which are implicitly used in 2.1.2. When the driver for the WM8994 is included in the kernel, however, jack detection is included as well and it appears that some additional devices are added to ALSA. A peek in linux-2.6.32/sound/soc/msm/msm7x30.c is enlightening.

The MSM72xx processors also have a wideband CODEC built-in and I don't know how the actual audio hardware is connected. Just a wild guess but perhaps the MSM7230's analog outputs go to the WM8994 for final amplification (it has an analog-analog pass-through mode). Then if you have the driver for the WM8994, you could switch off the analog interface to the MSM7230 and stream digital audio in and out via the I2S interfaces, using the WM8994's DACs instead of the MSM7230's. The WM8994 is the superior CODEC, so hopefully we can find a way to get it going.
    I'm getting the error below, even though I already have the following in the downloads directory?

Any suggestions?

nova-cust-image-broadway.boot.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.filecache.enc.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.media.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.mojodb.enc.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.rootfs.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.update.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.varfs.tar.gz
    nova-installer-image-broadway.uImage
    webosdoctorp160unaatt.jar
    webosdoctorp224pre2wr.jar

Last login: Mon Jul 16 20:47:15 on ttys000
    Davids-MacBook-Pro:~ dbmgreen$ cd meta-doctor
    Davids-MacBook-Pro:meta-doctor dbmgreen$ ./scripts/build-veer-2.2.4 att
    Carrier att directory build-att-veer-2.2.4 will be used
    Due to changes made to HP Cloud Services, this script may no longer work.
    DEVICE = veer
    CARRIER = att
    VERSION = 2.1.2
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL = carrier.tar
    CUSTOM_XML = broadway.xml
    CUSTOM_BUILD_INFO = palm-build-info
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/BootLogo.tga
    CUSTOM_ROOTFS = rootfs.tar.gz

Your custom doctor file will be created at build/build-att-veer-2.2.4/webosdoctorp160unaatt-2.2.4.jar

Will download if needed Veer att webOS 2.1.2 Doctor
    --2012-07-16 21:14:19-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/veer/...p160unaatt.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net... failed: nodename nor servname provided, or not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address `palm.cdnetworks.net'
    webosdoctorp160unaatt-2.1.2.jar did not download properly. Please run this script again.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

12.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I'm getting the error below, even though I already have the following in the downloads directory?

Any suggestions?

nova-cust-image-broadway.boot.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.filecache.enc.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.media.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.mojodb.enc.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.rootfs.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.update.tar.gz
    nova-cust-image-broadway.varfs.tar.gz
    nova-installer-image-broadway.uImage
    webosdoctorp160unaatt.jar
    webosdoctorp224pre2wr.jar

Last login: Mon Jul 16 20:47:15 on ttys000
    Davids-MacBook-Pro:~ dbmgreen$ cd meta-doctor
    Davids-MacBook-Pro:meta-doctor dbmgreen$ ./scripts/build-veer-2.2.4 att
    Carrier att directory build-att-veer-2.2.4 will be used
    Due to changes made to HP Cloud Services, this script may no longer work.
    DEVICE = veer
    CARRIER = att
    VERSION = 2.1.2
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL = carrier.tar
    CUSTOM_XML = broadway.xml
    CUSTOM_BUILD_INFO = palm-build-info
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/BootLogo.tga
    CUSTOM_ROOTFS = rootfs.tar.gz

Your custom doctor file will be created at build/build-att-veer-2.2.4/webosdoctorp160unaatt-2.2.4.jar

Will download if needed Veer att webOS 2.1.2 Doctor
    --2012-07-16 21:14:19-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/veer/...p160unaatt.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net... failed: nodename nor servname provided, or not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address `palm.cdnetworks.net'
    webosdoctorp160unaatt-2.1.2.jar did not download properly. Please run this script again.
    Scripts were updated HP/Palm changed the URL, do a git pull and update your script.
    fixed it, edited the script with the new address

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Scripts were updated HP/Palm changed the URL, do a git pull and update your script.
    John, at what stage do you / can you run the super script? Ive got an ATT veer but want the WR firmware for australia

15.    #176  
    John, at what stage do you / can you run the super script? Ive got an ATT veer but want the WR firmware for australia
    The super script requires the build script to be ran first.

The build script is as close to a Dr. to produce the original build HP/Palm had released (on the veer's that got in the wild) with a custom uimage one can bring it even to flash the correct a6 and touchpanel firmware.

The super script starts off of that base build.
    The super script requires the build script to be ran first.

The build script is as close to a Dr. to produce the original build HP/Palm had released (on the veer's that got in the wild) with a custom uimage one can bring it even to flash the correct a6 and touchpanel firmware.

The super script starts off of that base build.
    OK, I successfully built a 224att, will the superscript find this in the build directory? Of or do I start again? ie: pop it in downloads?

17.    #178  
    OK, I successfully built a 224att, will the superscript find this in the build directory? Of or do I start again? ie: pop it in downloads?
    Ok at first I answered, but then I delete the post I am not sure where you are in this process...

From the above I assume you pulled the ATT webOS 2.1.2 Doctor.

Ran the build-veer-2.2.4 and when the it asked you create the directory 224 you did (not 224att), then ran the build-veer-2.2.4 again?

Once it is ran a meta doctor is built, put in downloads and the source directory (webOS 2.2.4) is remove, leaving the webOS 2.1.2 directory with the 224 sub-directory?

Then one runs the Super script which will find the base doctor just made, and build a super meta doctor.

Let me know which step you are at.
    Ok at first I answered, but then I delete the post I am not sure where you are in this process...

From the above I assume you pulled the ATT webOS 2.1.2 Doctor.

Ran the build-veer-2.2.4 and when the it asked you create the directory 224 you did (not 224att), then ran the build-veer-2.2.4 again?

Once it is ran a meta doctor is built, put in downloads and the source directory (webOS 2.2.4) is remove, leaving the webOS 2.1.2 directory with the 224 sub-directory?

Then one runs the Super script which will find the base doctor just made, and build a super meta doctor.

Let me know which step you are at.
    It is built and in the downloads directory, "webosdoctorp160unaatt-2.2.4"

19.    #180  
    It is built and in the downloads directory, "webosdoctorp160unaatt-2.2.4"
    Now run the super script it will then download the pre2 build and update the veer to what is the released versions of the frameworks and apps.