Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur24b6 View Post
    Hi- just wanted to say thanks for the effort on this. I was able to update to 2.2.4 and performance and battery life seem improved. I have not had any crashes in three days of usage. I used the super doctor however I'm not seeing skype anywhere- should I try re-doctoring?
    Thanks Skype is not an APP, but an account you add, look in accounts then add it, then Messaging and the Phone app then have expanded functionality. I also updated the first post with your suggestions, however, I chose to inform others where the original BootLogo.tga is located, as the point was to create as close to an official Doctor as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    No via regular headphone still not! Bluetooth stereo however DOES work properly, but it did already with "my" version too!
    On the AT&T device I tested the build on I have stereo functionality thru the magnetic connector on webOS 2.1.1, webOS 2.1.2, webOS 2.2.3, and webOS 2.2.4 (I tested AC-DC's Hell's Bells and a few Beatles tracks which have voice and instruments on different channels), I will re-test and report if anything changed. However, I wish to point out, I have never used the prior methods to get webOS 2.2.x installed, each time was with the doctor process.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/14/2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Thanks Skype is not an APP, but an account you add, look in accounts then add it, then Messaging and the Phone app then have expanded functionality. I also updated the first post with your suggestions, however, I chose to inform others where the original BootLogo.tga is located, as the point was to create as close to an official Doctor as possible.

On the AT&T device I tested the build on I have stereo functionality thru the magnetic connector on webOS 2.1.1, webOS 2.1.2, webOS 2.2.3, and webOS 2.2.4 (I tested AC-DC's Hell's Bells and a few Beatles tracks which have voice and instruments on different channels), I will re-test and report if anything changed. However, I wish to point out, I have never used the prior methods to get webOS 2.2.x installed, each time was with the doctor process.
    Hi John,

It LOOKS like stereo but isn't! It somewhat mixed via magnetic connector. You should get a clear "LEFT" and "RIGHT" file to test it (see attached). With BlueTooth I hear Left in Left and Right in Right, however via magnetic connector I hear it in both! Works fine on 2.1.2, but not on 2.2.3/2.2.4... Could be some kernel module for audio? Might be an idea to try and swap the 2.2.x kernel audio module with 2.1.x kernel audio module to see if that fixes it?
    Attached Files Attached Files
  3.    #123  
    Hi John,

It LOOKS like stereo but isn't! It somewhat mixed via magnetic connector. You should get a clear "LEFT" and "RIGHT" file to test it (see attached). With BlueTooth I hear Left in Left and Right in Right, however via magnetic connector I hear it in both! Works fine on 2.1.2, but not on 2.2.3/2.2.4... Could be some kernel module for audio? Might be an idea to try and swap the 2.2.x kernel audio module with 2.1.x kernel audio module to see if that fixes it?
    The problem with swapping the Audio stack is it is totally different from webOS 2.1.2 to webOS 2.2.4.

The main reason is Skype, but there are tons of files from Palm Audio decoder/encoders to gstreamer libraries, they changed a lot of different files, pinpointing which file out of that haystack would be a task.

But as I reported I have tested MP3's which I know have different content from the left channel to the right channel and they do produce "Stereo" Sound. Will convert your WAV file to a MP3 to see if it still works correctly with the MP3 format vs the WAV format.

Now comparing a WAV file from an MP3 also uses different parts of these libraries, I will re-test when I get some time and report back if anything I do changes.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/14/2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to do any more research on this issue with the lack of stereo?

I thought it might be something related to alsa or pulseaudio configuration, because stereo seems to work with Bluetooth but not the headphones, but I haven't seen anything obviously wrong so far.
    I have an interest in getting stereo working over the headphone jack - I already have a fairly nice set of headphones and do occasionally listen to music - not every day, but every few days or so, sometimes for several hours. I know I can invest in some nice bluetooth headphones, but I'd like to explore this option first.

I know a bit about Linux, having been a self-taught user since about 2005. I'm not afraid to connect to the terminal on the phone, edit configuration files, kill processes, restart things, etc. I don't consider myself an expert Linux user, but I can usually fix most things I need to in my daily use.

My first assumption about this problem is that it can be made to work, and there is good chance it may be a configuration problem. I base that on the fact that stereo over Bluetooth has been reported to work. I am fairly certain that the Bluetooth A2DP audio path way still uses ALSA and Pulseaudio Linux audio infrastructure, as the rest of webOS does.

I've started by comparing the file contents of the 2.1.2 webOS Doctor for the Veer to the 2.2.4 unofficial Doctor. The first thing I noticed was that the system-wide pulseaudio configuration script /etc/pulse/system.pa had two slight differences in the parameters used for the alsa-sink and alsa-source modules. I tried to apply each change separately from 2.1.2 to 2.2.4. One change seemed to have no effect, while the other broke all sound.

I reverted those changes and kept looking. Another interesting file that popped out as different was /usr/share/alsa/pcm/dmix.conf. I believe this file is standard on all Linux systems, as I also find it on my Linux desktop system. My research indicates that the dmix module in ALSA enables multiple programs to use the sound hardware at the same time. So this seemed like a reasonable candidate to try and go back to the version from the 2.1.2 Doctor. I made a back up the original file, copied in the new one and re-booted my Veer. Alas, no luck. It didn't seem to have any effect at all - all sounds worked as before - and still no stereo on the headphones.

I've been confirming the stereo working or not with the "Left/Right" audio clip posted previously. It definitely comes out of the left and then right speaker on my desktop, so we know the file is correct.

I will keep looking and if anyone want's to contribute ideas, I'm all ears. (Bad pun?)
    The next area I will explore is the possibility of "routing" the sound source that normally goes to bluetooth audio back to the headphones. I'm not sure, but I think this might be possible - both ALSA and Pulseaudio seem to have a fair amount of functionality in this regard.

It may be simple - it may be complicated - it may require unreasonable things like real-time transcoding - I just don't know, but I am determined to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    The next area I will explore is the possibility of "routing" the sound source that normally goes to bluetooth audio back to the headphones. I'm not sure, but I think this might be possible - both ALSA and Pulseaudio seem to have a fair amount of functionality in this regard.

It may be simple - it may be complicated - it may require unreasonable things like real-time transcoding - I just don't know, but I am determined to find out.
    George, This idea may enable you to listen to music via the audio adapter in stereo but might have another unintended consequence. If I listen to a video on my veer (or my touchpad for that matter) using bluetooth there is a delay between the video and the audio. So you may want to check that if you get your redirecting to work that you didn't cause a delay when watching videos. It is an annoying side effect of not having an audio adapter for my veer as I have to either use the built in speaker, or put up with the delay between the video and audio on a bluetooth connection. Just putting that out there.

-Marc
    Thanks Marc. I'm hoping I can "intercept" the sound stream at a lower level, before it actually gets to the Bluetooth stack.

If nothing else, I'll learn something about ALSA and Pulseaudio.
    Thanks Marc. I'm hoping I can "intercept" the sound stream at a lower level, before it actually gets to the Bluetooth stack.

If nothing else, I'll learn something about ALSA and Pulseaudio.
    George, I agree, and if you do learn something about ALSA and Pulseaudio on the veer maybe we could look into why the uberkernel for 2.1 has no sound when I memboot it on my 2.2.4 veer. I would love to get sound working on the uberkernel for 2.1 because then I could overclock my 2.2.4 veer....
    George, great work so far!

Another area you might want to look into is WiFi, it seems to be draining the battery quite a bit more in 2.2.4. compared to 2.1.2? I suspect it to be some config file somewhere too?

My *nix knowledge is too limited to fix these kind of issues to be honest
    Ok, I'm currently working on activating my spare Veer on WiFi only. I'd like to compare the 2 Veers - my daily driver with 2.2.4, and the spare with 2.1.2.

Bypassing initial activation by typing #*DEVMODE# into the keypad seems to somehow left touchscreen in a non-functioning state. It worked for a few seconds anyway as I had to press the "Make the call" (green) button to activate dev mode. But after that, no touch screen. So now I'm doctoring it with the standard 2.1.2 doctor - hopefully my brand new spare Veer does not have a broken touch screen right out of the box!

Herrie, I haven't noticed a higher power drain from WiFi on my daily driver, compared to when it was 2.1.2. But then again, I have 2 touchstones at home, and one at work, so my Veer is usually on a charger.
    Ok, I'm currently working on activating my spare Veer on WiFi only. I'd like to compare the 2 Veers - my daily driver with 2.2.4, and the spare with 2.1.2.

Bypassing initial activation by typing #*DEVMODE# into the keypad seems to somehow left touchscreen in a non-functioning state. It worked for a few seconds anyway as I had to press the "Make the call" (green) button to activate dev mode. But after that, no touch screen. So now I'm doctoring it with the standard 2.1.2 doctor - hopefully my brand new spare Veer does not have a broken touch screen right out of the box!

Herrie, I haven't noticed a higher power drain from WiFi on my daily driver, compared to when it was 2.1.2. But then again, I have 2 touchstones at home, and one at work, so my Veer is usually on a charger.
    I didn't do any actual measurements to be honest, but I have this feeling. When using WiFi on 2.2.4 it drains about 1% per 1-2 minutes while surfing which is quite a lot in my opinion. I have a Touchstone at home and at work too, but still
    My second Veer has a bad touchscreen, so I cannot get it into Dev mode to see what the sound infrastructure looks like in 2.1.2.

I need a volunteer to novaterm into their Veer that still runs 2.1.2, and capture and post the contents of the following alsa commands:

amixer controls

amixer contents

I'll attach the ones I get from 2.2.4 if anyone wants to compare.Veer_224_amixer_controls.txt

Veer_224_amixer_contents.txt
    My second Veer has a bad touchscreen, so I cannot get it into Dev mode to see what the sound infrastructure looks like in 2.1.2.

I need a volunteer to novaterm into their Veer that still runs 2.1.2, and capture and post the contents of the following alsa commands:

amixer controls

amixer contents

I'll attach the ones I get from 2.2.4 if anyone wants to compare.Veer_224_amixer_controls.txt

Veer_224_amixer_contents.txt
    I can try to flash my Dev veer back to 2.1.2. and run it, will have a look during the weekend.
    I am sorry to ask this, but can somone point me to directions for creating a successful doctor for 2.2.4 / 2.2.3
    See the first post. If you cannot follow these instructions, it's probably not for you
    Attached the amixer files for 2.1.2
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks, Herrie!

I did a comparison of the 2 sets of files, but nothing obvious jumped out at me, other than the number of ALSA devices seems to have increased dramatically in 2.2.4. Makes sense with the additional VOIP features.

I'll keep looking...
    See the first post. If you cannot follow these instructions, it's probably not for you
    Thanks for the reply, I did not understand how to create the Doctor, so its best I install it from your videos.

Thanks alot again.
    In researching this, I realized that there is another piece to the puzzle - the audiod program. webOSInternals has some information on this, and my understanding is that this program is responsible for re-routing audio streams (input from mic(s) and output to speaker/headphone/bluethooth etc.) when different hardware (or software?) events get triggered - such as plugging in your headphones or connecting a bluetooth audio device.

So I've been substituting different versions of audiod from the public webOS doctors on the Veer, to see if it made any difference, with the following results:

audiod (v368.52) from Veer 2.2.4 - no stereo in headphones
    audiod (v332.37) from Veer 2.1.2 Doctor - no sound at all
    audiod (v368.53) from Pre2 2.2.4 Doctor - no sound at all
    audiod (v368.53) from Pre3 2.2.4 Doctor - sound works(!) but still no stereo headphones.

In retrospect, it makes sense that the audiod program from the Pre2 doctor didn't work as it may be the different processor architecture (OMAP vs. Qualcomm)

In using the strings utility on the different binaries, it seems evident that the audiod program is device-specific. For example, even though the audiod from the Pre2 and Pre3 doctors are the same version #, they seem to reference different devices in the binaries themselves.

So event though I haven't gotten it to work yet, we have another data point that the audiod program from the Pre3 doctor works the same way.

I may try the audiod from the Touchpad next.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast