Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #241  
    We have the kernel's for the Pre2/Pre3 for webOS 2.2.4

If one compares the the Pre2 webOS 2.1.0 patches against the Pre2 webOS 2.2.4 patches one will have the differences with the kernel from webOS 2.1.0 to webOS 2.2.4.

Now if one does the same thing from the Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 (compare against the Pre2) one will have the idea of what the kernel for webOS 2.2.4 should look like and apply it to the Veer.

For the PrePlus I compared the PrePlus webOS 2.1.0 to the Pre2 webOS 2.1.0 patches isolated the differences in relation to the omap chip set, now I then looked at the differences between the Pre2 webOS 2.1.0 patches, and the Pre2 webOS 2.2.4 patches and isolated the differences...

Applied all the differences to the webOS 2.1.0 kernel for the PrePlus, and got a usable kernel for the PrePlus... then added a few of the webOSInternals kernel hacks...

Took me a long time ~ 3 months, but it is the most stable kernel I have on the PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4...

This logic can be applied to the Veer. Compare the webOS 2.1.2 kernel to the webOS 2.1.1 kernel patches that will tell you if any thing what is different between 2.1.1 and 2.1.2, and what is chip set related, then compare to Pre2 webOS 2.1.0, that will tell you what differences are between webOS 2.1.0 and webOS 2.1.1/2 then compare the Pre2 webOS 2.1.0 to Pre2 webOS 2.2.4 and pre3 then add those differences into the Veer...

Mind you the Chip sets are difference OMAP to Qualcomm but one can remove those differences...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/27/2013 at 07:20 AM.
    But, as you said, the Veer and Pre 3 are both Qualcomm so that should help see some differences. After all, you got it working!

Again, I guess I wonder if the Veer had kernel-level or other blob changes made to account for the proprietary jack switching. Saw one post on this thread suggesting it's not architected that way (instead drivers do work to try and make jack transparent to audio). That would have been smart of Palm, but may not entirely be the case, yes? Would there be anyway to tell looking through old Veer source?
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    But, as you said, the Veer and Pre 3 are both Qualcomm so that should help see some differences. After all, you got it working!

Again, I guess I wonder if the Veer had kernel-level or other blob changes made to account for the proprietary jack switching. Saw one post on this thread suggesting it's not architected that way (instead drivers do work to try and make jack transparent to audio). That would have been smart of Palm, but may not entirely be the case, yes? Would there be anyway to tell looking through old Veer source?
    I have not looked at the Veer kernel, just the PrePlus/Pre2 the kernel guru's Rod and uNiXpSyChO would be the best to ask how to do the Kernels they have more experience with the Veer kernel as they created the Uberkernel with it.

However, they have other commitments and have washed their hands with legacy kernel ports (at least from my work with the PrePlus/Pre2, nobody wanted to assist me in the effort)...

But if there is anything I can do to assist let me know I have a Veer to play with (used to create the meta doctors), I do not use it as my Carrier is Verizon...
    Wow, excellent info, thank you. Really, my day job keeps my hands and head pretty full. I keep saying I'm going to sit down and figure all this out, buuuuuuut, yeah.

At any rate, every bit of someone else's experience is worth weeks of my fumbling. So thanks again, and still likewise on testing!
    Hi!

Could someone provide me a link the latest 2.2.4 WR Version for the VEER?
    All links on Herries page are dead...

Thanks a lot!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGan View Post
    Hi!

Could someone provide me a link the latest 2.2.4 WR Version for the VEER?
    All links on Herries page are dead...

Thanks a lot!!!
    No they are not... There are some that work, just keep trying
    MrGan likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    No they are not... There are some that work, just keep trying
    Right - there are not!
    Thank you so much Herrie!!!
    How's the performance of the Pre+ with 2.2.4?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  9.    #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    How's the performance of the Pre+ with 2.2.4?
    Depends on the Kernel...

If using the Palm PrePlus webOS 2.1.0 kernel (default) it works ok, with F105 Thunderbird it works even better, but even with the mashed webOS 2.2.4/2.1.0 (pre2/preplus) I still can not get the true performance one wants.

But I am not a kernel guy, I know how to create them, but not perfect them, was hoping someone out there would take it on, but nobody has...

The pitfalls are that it still locks up and freezes, but it works...
    Alan Morford likes this.
    I used your 2.2.4 with metadoctor for my Vzw Pre2 and in my testing it hasn't frozen or reset. It's not my dd so take that with a grain of salt. My Pre+ hums along like a champ on 2.1.0 though.
    Follow me on Twitter
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I used your 2.2.4 with metadoctor for my Vzw Pre2 and in my testing it hasn't frozen or reset. It's not my dd so take that with a grain of salt. My Pre+ hums along like a champ on 2.1.0 though.
    The Pre2 build was designed for the Pre2, the difference between Pre2's are the comm boards just like the Pre and PrePlus, Palm was smart that way design the same phone, swap out the comm boards saves money...

The PrePlus webOS 2.2.4 build is what I was refering to, the Pre2 build works like a champ...
    That's cool. I have a pre 3 on vzw and one as a backup but keep a Pixi+, pre+, and pre2 around for testing stuff. All are metadoctored except for Pre 3 and pixi+. I really don't see running 2.1.0 on the Pixi as a real option. It's pretty limited in the hardware dept.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Does anyone have a direct link to instructions on how to install 2.2.4 Doctor?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213