webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
webOS 2.2.4 Doctor for Veer for AT&T or WR
Like Tree15Likes

Old 09/13/2012, 10:26 AM   #221 (permalink)

by playing multiple time, sound card became mute, no sound until reboot
what i did: while :; do aplay leftright.wav; done
i tried restarting audiod and/or pulseaudio before i try reboot, it's not helping. 2.2.4 seems much more less stable than 2.1.2 while fixing no bugs i care
sigh, skype is the only enhancement in 2.2.4 over 2.1.2
moo.tinys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2012, 11:46 AM   #222 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There are other enhancements too but you might not have noticed them, for example:

1. Messaging app is quicker and doesn't have SMS lag that badly anymore.

2. No more unresponsive "blue sky" screen that happened quite often to me in 2.1.2 which could only be sorted with a reboot...

3. TTS support.

4. Latest version so any new patches for 2.2.4 can be used.

Downsides:

1. Occasional in-call reboot
2. No true stereo via headphones, but OK via Bluetooth.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
Old 09/13/2012, 09:48 PM   #223 (permalink)

thanks for your summary easy the pain reading the long thread
moo.tinys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 03:04 PM   #224 (permalink)

Hey guys could someone tell me under which circumstances the veer bricks, or is it just random?

Could somebody also explain to me what the difference between wifi only and not is? Does it mean there is no networking afterwards or is the network driver just not updated?

Thanks in advance for my rather stupid questions.

Last edited by krushaaa; 09/15/2012 at 03:17 PM.
krushaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 08:07 PM   #225 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushaaa View Post
Hey guys could someone tell me under which circumstances the veer bricks, or is it just random?

Could somebody also explain to me what the difference between wifi only and not is? Does it mean there is no networking afterwards or is the network driver just not updated?

Thanks in advance for my rather stupid questions.
There are a lot of ways, mostly, firmware issues, Flashing Bootie, Modem, Touchpad, or A6.

The first veer I had, before HP/Palm replaced it under warranty, I flashed from webOS 2.1.2 to webOS 2.2.3/4 about 100 times, no issues, even unlocked it, no issues...

The replacement, failed to flash TouchPanel firmware, lost the TouchPanel ID, found the catnip utility to fix the panel ID.

Rod, (Herrie and Paralel, below) bricked a veer trying to flash A6 chip?

Others have reported bricking the Veer?

Forgot to answer your other question WiFi only is a switch to turn on WiFi during First Use, it then can be clicked at setup to configure the access point so one can log into their HP/Palm profile without a Celluar network data connection.

It does not cause any other issues concerning network related functions, just turns on WiFi, which by default is off.

Last edited by John Steffes; 09/17/2012 at 10:42 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 01:01 PM   #226 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I managed to brick 2 Veers while flashing A6 in the past....

Last edited by Herrie; 09/16/2012 at 01:58 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2012, 09:39 AM   #227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I managed to brick 2 Veers while flashing A6 in the past....
Mine bricked as well while attempting to flash the A6.
Paralel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 01:13 PM   #228 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So if I do this with my AT&T Veer, when I move to 2.2.4 do I loose UberKernel?

I can live without stereo on the physically connected headphones...

Any other deficits?
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 01:17 PM   #229 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes since there are no open source files for 2.2.4 kernel for the Veer, there are no Uberkernels :-( Other side effect might be in-call reboots but those are really network dependant as it seems, some people have them, some don't.
Old 10/19/2012, 02:06 PM   #230 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thanks Herrie.

I'm still on the fence about the upgrade. I do have a TouchPad coming (tomorrow!!!) and am weighing the TTS and SMS functionality against what I might loose...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 02:22 PM   #231 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Thanks Herrie.

I'm still on the fence about the upgrade. I do have a TouchPad coming (tomorrow!!!) and am weighing the TTS and SMS functionality against what I might loose...
You can always Doctor back to 2.1.2
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 11/14/2012, 06:17 PM   #232 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
.............I have not posted a second script that will create a new super doctor with updated webOS 2.2.3 components (from the Pre3 AT&T build), Updated Bing Maps, transforms webOS 2.1.2 Maps app to GoogleMaps, bring back the older YouTube App and Amazon MP3 (from webOS 2.1.2) and Motionapps Classic Bits. The main reason is the webOS 2.2.3 Pre3 version also has updated Screen Resolution which makes it un-usable on the Veer, if there is interest I can attempt to just replace the old versions with the current version and change the md5sums just for those files................................
Hi John,

Sorry to revive an old post, did you ever create a super veer 223? Is there any reason not to cross meta DR an ATT pre with WR firmware? IS it possible?

Dave

dbmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 07:22 PM   #233 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
Hi John,

Sorry to revive an old post, did you ever create a super veer 223? Is there any reason not to cross meta DR an ATT pre with WR firmware? IS it possible?

Dave
I did create a 2.2.3 super script grabbing the Pre3 frameworks and updated apps, it broke the Veer, hence I never released, the Pre3 screen is bigger then Veer... One can apply WR to AT&T and AT&T to WR, the Veer is the same GSM device, just branded (modem flash can be forced either way)... Hence the WR modem firmware works on both brands.
Old 12/04/2012, 10:43 PM   #234 (permalink)

i hope to downloading it
Paqwau Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 01:00 PM   #235 (permalink)

Ok, I have finally updated to version 2.2.4

But i have one questions :

John said prevously :
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Forgot to answer your other question WiFi only is a switch to turn on WiFi during First Use, it then can be clicked at setup to configure the access point so one can log into their HP/Palm profile without a Celluar network data connection.
But in the script, we can see
Quote:
if [ "$2" = "--wifi-only" ] ; then
ARGS="BYPASS_ACTIVATION=1 BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP=1 DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE=1"
fi
So i wonder how is it possible to configure wifi during FirstUse when Fisrt Use is skiped ?
Maybe i have not a good understanding of the script ?

Last edited by Lulzim KELMENI; 01/01/2013 at 03:57 PM.
Lulzim KELMENI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 10:08 PM   #236 (permalink)

Happy to help troubleshoot the mono headphone issue. Sitting on a stock 2.1.2 Veer at the moment. Not the daily driver, so can do whatever to it.

So with their proprietary port for audio, etc, is the most likely issue a driver blob somewhere? LTTP, so don't know what parts of what the script pulls in for alsa and the like.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 10:36 PM   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulzim KELMENI View Post
Ok, I have finally updated to version 2.2.4

But i have one questions :

John said prevously :

But in the script, we can see

So i wonder how is it possible to configure wifi during FirstUse when Fisrt Use is skiped ?
Maybe i have not a good understanding of the script ?
One can import the WiFi profile via the meta doctor process, but once the wifi script is run it patches the files and does not leave a orig to reset so it is broke...

I recommend not using --wifi but bypass by hitting #*devmode# in emergency mode, once bypassed setup WiFi, then use impostah to remove the existing Palm Profile Account (via Accounts), then reset the palm profile and click ok, it will remove all existing data (not from USB drive), reboot, but with WiFi enabled... Now one will walk thru first use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Happy to help troubleshoot the mono headphone issue. Sitting on a stock 2.1.2 Veer at the moment. Not the daily driver, so can do whatever to it.

So with their proprietary port for audio, etc, is the most likely issue a driver blob somewhere? LTTP, so don't know what parts of what the script pulls in for alsa and the like.
The sound issue is more then one file, the entire audio modules were updated for Skype, and it is not one file but many that created the MONO issue, my guess is Skype mobile used in webOS does not allow stereo output, and therefore was broke because the device only has one speaker (speaker phone), and the audio routes the output from the mono speaker to the headphones...

Remember this code was never released by HP/Palm, but was still in development, it might have been fixed, during quality testing... Maybe it was overlooked or on purpose. The Pre3 and Pre2 do not have this issue, and the build was released...

It is really bad for Palm/HP and AT&T as they released documentation (stating at a later time), this feature would come... Seems false advertising if some can sue subway for dough issues...
Old 02/26/2013, 10:54 PM   #238 (permalink)

I hope you'll forgive some dumb questions. Very interested to learn more about how all this stuff gets packaged. Lots of things I'd like to poke around at, but I still don't totally understand how things are structured.

How does this "Meta" of yours actually work? Are you just welding the Veer uBoot/kernel to the 2.2.4 rootfs from another device? Or was this based on some double super secret unreleased Veer ROM?

Edit: And yeah. Read more of this thread and understand a bit how it's tied across the board. Perhaps voip and their custom jack conspired to choke this release from daylight.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 11:13 PM   #239 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
I hope you'll forgive some dumb questions. Very interested to learn more about how all this stuff gets packaged. Lots of things I'd like to poke around at, but I still don't totally understand how things are structured.

How does this "Meta" of yours actually work? Are you just welding the Veer uBoot/kernel to the 2.2.4 rootfs from another device? Or was this based on some double super secret unreleased Veer ROM?

Edit: And yeah. Read more of this thread and understand a bit how it's tied across the board. Perhaps voip and their custom jack conspired to choke this release from daylight.
Watch the palm developer you tube videos, they have a great slide deck shows how webOS works, bootie linux kernel, modules, lunasysmgr which is ui and system binary in one exe, services bus etc.. The doctor package is more complex I could rattle but unzip the jar un tar the tar, a linux structure is the same, the palm bits are what make it webOS...

the Veer/pixie/opal builds are from a developer released phone backed up. The seed doctor then gets transformed from the backup source...
Thanked By: ananimus
Old 02/27/2013, 01:23 AM   #240 (permalink)

We don't have the source to the 2.2.4 Veer kernel and the 2.2.4 userland is incompatible with the 2.1.2 kernel. We do have the source to the 2.1.2 kernel and the patch with all their customizations, but not the patch for the 2.2.4 kernel.

I did a lot of work and made a lot of progress on making my own 2.2.4 kernel for the Veer but then I had to do other things and haven't resumed my work. Here is the approach I took:

1) Split the single massive 2.1.2 patch into separate patches for each file
2) Scour Android and Linux sources for the latest versions of the patches to these files and get them.
3) separate out the patches that cleanly apply and compile from the ones that don't.
4) Edit the code by hand to make the patches apply against the newer kernel.
5) Revise the edits to fix compile issues / include path changes.
6) Look at kernel modules, dmesg output, and check 2.2.4 library versions / compile the appropriate sound system kernel modules.
7) Load and test. Fix bugs.

I got to about step 5. Off the top of my head, I don't remember the exact compile issue I was facing but I did take notes and I do have work saved over on a Linux laptop in the other room.

The approach is pretty straight-forward but trust me when I say it was a lot of manual labor to split apart and analyze all the patches. Because of android efforts, many of the veer patches were partially added to the linux kernel source and so the veer patches had to be hacked to pieces and re-made to include the still-missing bits.

Maybe I'll go boot up that laptop...

Last edited by ollopa; 02/27/2013 at 04:36 AM.
ollopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ananimus

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0