1.    #1  
    hey guys, so I have a question the application "Govnah". Does the application apply the changed to the CPU frequency rate or are the settings applied during the boot up? In other words, does the app need to be running for overclocking the CPU to take place?
    Yes you need Govnah installed in order to set the clock speed.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by theretardedonewhoate View Post
    hey guys, so I have a question the application "Govnah". Does the application apply the changed to the CPU frequency rate or are the settings applied during the boot up? In other words, does the app need to be running for overclocking the CPU to take place?
    I understand what you're actually asking. There used to be some kernels that were hard-coded to run overclocked from the very beginning of boot-up even without Govnah ever being installed. (I think the f102 kernel might still do this if someone can confirm.) Generally though, with most kernels, you need to use Govnah to set an overclock profile. During each boot-up the profile settings only kick in after Govnah applies them to the kernel at some point. This method of overclocking makes it easier to recover your device if something gets messed up.

See #4 under the 7 Principles of Kernel Design:
    Next Generation Kernel Development and Packaging

_
    Last edited by sq5; 04/05/2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Your post did not indicate whether you had also installed a custom kernel;
    but if you have (e.g. uberkernel); then upon initial boot or full restart, you would need to reapply parameters, including any overclocking. If you have saved your settings as a profile in govnah; then its just a tap away.

If you do not have a custom kernel installed; then govnah will not overclock the stock kernel.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    I'm pretty happy with the speed of my veer. Is there really a need to overclock it? How much faster can you make it run and still stay stable?
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I'm pretty happy with the speed of my veer. Is there really a need to overclock it? How much faster can you make it run and still stay stable?
    uberkernel has some other improvements, and it also allows underclocking, which can save power. the speeds that are already available are the stable ones IIRC
    Great, looks like my touchpad has never been over clocked than since I don;t have Gov installed! Ugh!
    lol, you might want to try it out now that you know. See if you can notice any difference.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    uberkernel has some other improvements, and it also allows underclocking, which can save power. the speeds that are already available are the stable ones IIRC
    How will it help save power? By overclocking, or by other features? Isn't overclocking bad for the battery?
    Underclocking can save power, not overclocking
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    lol, you might want to try it out now that you know. See if you can notice any difference.
    Yes, seems faster and smoother, but it may just be the placebo effect, since I thought things were working better before that. But this time it seems better.
    Try it w/ an app that you know is demanding. Or try browsing a loaded folder (MP3s maybe) using Internalz before and after an overclock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    How will it help save power? By overclocking, or by other features? Isn't overclocking bad for the battery?
    overclocking does use up more power and produces more heat, which is typically not desirable, but the performance gains are worth it to some. also, adjusting the settings smartly makes it sip power when not needed, and go full throttle when it is.

Govnah allows you to underclock and adjust other settings. It has a list of processor frequencies it can be set to. (e.g. my Pre 2 has settings for 150, 300, 600 MHz, 1 and 1.2 GHz) I don't think it lets you actually put in a number. Well, putting in over 9000 GHz isn't good.

There are also various governors (which manage the processor) available that have different "personalities".
    The help section is fairly extensive, except for a couple options. It may look scary, but it shouldn't be too easy to bork something.

btw (for other people), what exactly does the lagfree and the ondemand-ng governors do?
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    good info....didn't know you had to redo govnah after each reboot! I don't remember this being the same on my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzeppi View Post
    good info....didn't know you had to redo govnah after each reboot!
    You don't.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals