Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    for those of you who wished you had another color, you can swap outer casings on your Veer provided you have a donor.

my wife recently smashed her perfect white veer and the screen cracked up in the proximity sensor, preventing it from functioning properly. If i made a call, the screen immediately went blank as the sensor was triggered. Fortunately, there's a patch for that, and i used the patch to end the call by closing the slider (+1 for webOS).

i had another perfectly working Veer but it was black, and my wife really wanted a white one. I got another off ebay, but they are getting fewer and harder to find. This 'LNIB' phone however seemed to have some modem errors as it would not connect with my Straight Talk SIM, or give really poor reception. The same SIM worked fine in the other Veer, so i returned it.

i decided to look into just using the black one, and then wondered about swapping the cases. I knew the ring around the screen was removable, but the back case i wasn't sure. Using the great resource of webosinternals (Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals) i was able to completely swap the bottom case and the top ring to convert my black veer to white.

the process is fairly simple and even my big hands were able to negotiate the small components. Please note that this also voided any manufacturer's warranty, but i was willing to take the chance. We are pretty much left abandoned anyway.

if anyone needs some pointers (the wiki really covers everything) let me know.
    ****Reducing Inventory****
    ###FOR SALE###

VZW Pre+ 1.4.5 500/1000 on demand Lithium 418
    White ATT Veer 2.1.2 with 1.4 on demand Lithium 122
    Black ATT Veer 2.1.2 Stock Lithium 196 - broken screen, spare parts
    webOS internals NA Pre3 2.2.4 Stock Lithium 111
    Quote Originally Posted by suprolla View Post
    for those of you who wished you had another color, you can swap outer casings on your Veer provided you have a donor.

my wife recently smashed her perfect white veer and the screen cracked up in the proximity sensor, preventing it from functioning properly. If i made a call, the screen immediately went blank as the sensor was triggered. Fortunately, there's a patch for that, and i used the patch to end the call by closing the slider (+1 for webOS).

i had another perfectly working Veer but it was black, and my wife really wanted a white one. I got another off ebay, but they are getting fewer and harder to find. This 'LNIB' phone however seemed to have some modem errors as it would not connect with my Straight Talk SIM, or give really poor reception. The same SIM worked fine in the other Veer, so i returned it.

i decided to look into just using the black one, and then wondered about swapping the cases. I knew the ring around the screen was removable, but the back case i wasn't sure. Using the great resource of webosinternals (Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals) i was able to completely swap the bottom case and the top ring to convert my black veer to white.

the process is fairly simple and even my big hands were able to negotiate the small components. Please note that this also voided any manufacturer's warranty, but i was willing to take the chance. We are pretty much left abandoned anyway.

if anyone needs some pointers (the wiki really covers everything) let me know.
    Yeah these phones are becoming collectors items... Awesome OS, awesome hardware... personally I prefer the "soft" black finish, but changing the casing is quite an easy task if you are careful. Thanks for pointing the link to webos internals I was looking for it.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Awesome! Now to find a donor...
    Thanks for tip I will try I have the white and the black
    Gota love that panda! Some might argue that the Veer was wrong because it was too tiny, but you can't say it's not adorable.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...