1.    #1  
    Any reason why a 4G phone says 3G in the top bar? I thought there was a patch, but looks like there isn't.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Which phone and webOS version?
  3.    #3  
    I'm in the Veer Forum and for webOS 2.1.2.

Still doesn't explain why a 4G phone says 3G. If you're taking it on, thanks in advance
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    This should make it show "H" instead of "3G". I can't test the patch, so let me know how it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 03/28/2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Cuz you no get 4G in canadia I believe.

There is a 3G indicator

Then an H+ indicator, as garrett said, if you get H+ you can patch to say 4G.

The 4G is actually not true 4G, it is faster than 3G, but is an ATT marketing thing. (that's why the phones indicate H+).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #6  
    Couldn't get that patch to work. It still needs AUSMT scripts in order to install.
    won't change anything for you unless you are actually getting the H+ icon

I think, unless this is different from the patch I am using.

Nevermind, maybe not, I forced 3G and I am still showing 4G icon...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Couldn't get that patch to work. It still needs AUSMT scripts in order to install.
    Oh? I have no idea what's wrong with it... It's a very simple patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    won't change anything for you unless you are actually getting the H+ icon

I think, unless this is different from the patch I am using.

Nevermind, maybe not, I forced 3G and I am still showing 4G icon...
    If it needs to be modified, just lemme know and I'll fix it. It took all of one minute to make... lol.
  10.    #10  
    I'll try again later, says (on WOSQI) that it can't connect to webOS Internals servers.(to get the update)

Tried Internalz Pro the first time.
    I'll try again later, says (on WOSQI) that it can't connect to webOS Internals servers.(to get the update)

Tried Internalz Pro the first time.
    Ah I see. I get that error too sometimes... Not sure why. lol
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If it needs to be modified, just lemme know and I'll fix it. It took all of one minute to make... lol.
    I actually opened it up and checked it out...what 9 lines of code?
    I actually opened it up and checked it out...what 9 lines of code?
    If you want to edit the file itself, go to /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css and look for this line:
    #datanet.connected-hsdpa { background-image: url(../images/network-3g-connected.png); }
    Change 'network-3g-connected.png' to either 'network-hsdpa-connected.png' or 'network-hsdpa-plus-connected.png' depending on the icon you want. Save and luna reboot. I also attached two patches that will do it if you get it working...

(Note: These patches will only work for GSM devices)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 03/28/2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Code tag still busted...
    As others have said, there is no "4G" indicator in webOS, only "H+"

The problem that is preventing you from seeing "H+" is that webOS devices use a certain way of determining if they're on an HSPA+ network. This is done in the modem firmware I believe and it is done because AT&T sends slightly different data to the phone to tell it it *could* be on an HSPA+ network, thus prompting webOS to display the symbol.

Other carriers don't use this exact method of communicating with the phones and since the Veer never made its way north, you're pretty much stuck with two options - have it honestly say you're on a 3G network (HSPA+ is really just 3G+) or patch it to always say "H+" which wouldn't necessarily be true if you drop to an HSPA node.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Thanks Arthur for explaining the part I didn't have the knowledge on.

Just curious, do you get "4G" speeds on red pocket?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Thanks Arthur for explaining the part I didn't have the knowledge on.

Just curious, do you get "4G" speeds on red pocket?
    Yep, on my Pre3 I routinely saw speeds in excess of 5-6Mbps, peaking at 10Mbps. On my Lumia I've gotten similar speeds, peaking at 13Mbps.

On my fauxG TouchPad in the same area (on AT&T) I saw it peak at 16Mbps.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Awesome, thanks for the info brother, got a while until we are off contract... but might have to look into something like that once we are off contract.

Our ATT plan isn't bad for a family plan.