Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jalb
  • 1 Post By xandros9
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    My daughter is about to turn 12, and hates her current phone, as the battery life is garbage. I know HP doesn't have a ton of apps, but she would mostly use this for calls, texting, and youtube. Is it buggy? How is the battery life? Does it work pretty good out of the box? You can get them really cheap on eBay and Amazon, so I am strongly considering this as a present for her.

I've asked this question here before, but now I am curious what folks think now that they have had one for a long time.
    Last edited by jalb; 03/25/2012 at 05:43 PM.
    kataran likes this.
    The Veer is nice and small, plus if you can get it in white it's adorably cute, so perfect for a 12-year-old girl in size and appearance.

For basic use (calls, texting, youtube, etc), the Veer is plenty stable.

Depending on how she uses it, the Veer's battery life isn't bad. With moderate use it should get her through the whole day, though it is worth nothing that the Veer uses a proprietary magnetic cable to charge/sync and not a standard micro-USB cable.

Out-of-the-box: Yep, easy peasy. Set up a webOS Account on the device, enter any extra account credentials (like email) and you're off to the races.

Read this: http://www.webosnation.com/review-ATT-hp-veer-4g
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    webOS has come a long way, and may have a couple of slowdowns, but it works
    if she's a Youtube junkie, the screen isn't the best, but it works
    there's a mirror on the back, im sure she'll appreciate it

be sure to get a touchstone, they are pretty cheap now, and the wireless charging is pretty cool
    W00sh likes this.
    the Veer is a very cool phone, and her friends will be envious.

the only caution is the app selection isn't anywhere close to the iphone or android so if she is looking for "words with friends" or other apps that her friends are hooked on... Not so much.

but, the keyboard is awesome for little texting fiends, facebook, etc. I agree on getting the touchstone right away (check amazon) and suggest a Bluetooth headset that supports music playback because she will lose the mag connectors instantly.
    IF... the webOS has a Portuguese language, I could sell 1 hundred of Veers fast here, in Brazil.

This is a small, beautifull and elegant smartphone, great to many "simple" users out of the techforums...

Children, teens and women love it! You can believe!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    webOS has come a long way, and may have a couple of slowdowns, but it works
    if she's a Youtube junkie, the screen isn't the best, but it works
    there's a mirror on the back, im sure she'll appreciate it

be sure to get a touchstone, they are pretty cheap now, and the wireless charging is pretty cool
    The note about the mirror was cute. That's something a girl might really like.
    You plug your phone in?
    The phone is very small but works well. If she makes a lot of calls it will drain the battery. Just texting and an occasional video clip she should be alright. The keyboard is very small you might want to see if she'll like it.
    Hardly any Apps compared to the big boys but maybe the ones she needs.
    I love WebOS so its nice to have a newbie come on board, plus this forum is very helpful.
    Let us know what you do.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I have a Pre and my daughter has a Pixi. I tend to wonder how well a slider would hold out carried in a back pocket of a pair of skinny jeans. I can attest that a Pixi with a hard shell protector case can look pretty damn cool, (tiger skin case), and can hold up well to numerous drops and sit upons, supports purchased (Amazon) and stored music. My daughter values songs over apps for her expenditures. Texting is fast and sure, (although spelling lags.) And perhaps most importantly the cost is low these days, although I got it free with contract almost two years ago, and bought a replacement spare for $30.
    I have a Veer and love it sooo much... that the spare I just bought came in today. there isn't a phone like it sold in North America, and I can't figure out why. Smaller is better. The hardware and slider blows away my old Pre. the gorilla glass blows away my old Pre. Come to think of it the whole phone blows away the Pre.
    My daughter loves it I love it and I can't figure out why it didn't catch on.
    Oh wait yes I can, everyone wants a small tablet in their hands not a phone.
    I want a small phone.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Thank you for the replies everyone. I think I'm sold. May end up picking up one for myself too, or at least a Pre Plus - I cracked the screen of my Titan yesterday!
    If you can swing it, go for a Pre3 instead of a Pre 2. Trust me.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    if you have been using a Pre, the Veer will seem very fast!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Kids grow up w tech. so they are naturally faster at adopting the ui & how to use it, and prob. will breeze using it faster than most adults. Plus, webOS is really really simple to learn & there is very little sans gestures and cards that isn't very intuitive.
    Veer is great, I am a grown man, and still love the phone for many reasons (haven't been able to bring myself to sell either of ours). The app selection is slim, especially if it's a kid into apps. Everything else is awesome. Pre2 and Pre3 took over for other reasons (partially the Apotheker of webOS).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I Have Pre 3 and Veer, Hp Veer faster than Pre 3 ! Appreciable
    HP Pré 3 2.2.4 AZERTY
    HP Veer 2.1.2 (Deutsch version) QWERTZ
    SFR Data
    You can get a touchstone for $5 @ Amazon. It is an excellent investment. You may want to get 2 ( 1 for her room and 1 in the living room).