1.    #1  
    Guys,

I'm experiencing problems with my HP Veer and I would love to resolve them, because I really like this device and the WebOS system that's on it.
    I've got a European/QWERTZ edition HP Veer with WebOS 2.1.1. I've installed Preware and quite a few patches.

That all worked fine untill February. I must have installed another patch but didn't notice the problem until after a couple of days. I had no idea which patches were installed.
    Problem is the device slowing down and eventually freezing and/or rebooting. After rebooting the device starts at a date/time of early February. It has the exact same settings, calendars, messages, contacts, etc. as of that time.
    This is really anoying, since the reboots occurs more than once a day. Syncing solves some problems, but I would like to resolve the problems.

I've tried removing the patches, but when restarting WebOS, the changes did not occur. Everything is the same as early February. Looks like nothing is saved to 'disk', but is saved in memory.

I tried flashing the device with WebOS Doctor. I tried the official download from HP/Palm and the download from the WebOS Internals page.
    Both will only go as far as 54% and then report an (unknowm) error. According to this wiki this has something to do with the partitioning of the filesystems.

More info: I tried installing the American (AT&T) firmware. Didn't work. I tried WebOS Doctor on more than one Windows XP system, Windows Vista, OS X 10.7 and even a fresh installation of Windows XP on a virtual box installation. Every time, the process stops at 54%.

I really hope somebody is able to provide me with directions as how to solve this problem.
    Thanks in advance.
    You could always try and install 2.2.3/4 and see if that's helps. That deletes all the partitions and re applies them all, and installs 2.2.3/4, which in my opinion is much better. If that's too far, you could look at meta doctoring, which may have a script to help with this case.
    Hope this info helps

Sent from my Touchpad. Booyah.
    Preware is AWESOME!!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by smackead View Post
    You could always try and install 2.2.3/4 and see if that's helps. That deletes all the partitions and re applies them all, and installs 2.2.3/4, which in my opinion is much better. If that's too far, you could look at meta doctoring, which may have a script to help with this case.
    Hope this info helps

Sent from my Touchpad. Booyah.
    Thank you for the info. That's an option I did not consider.
    Where might I find a proper download of 2.2.3/4 that would work on the Veer?
    What about a secure full erase and just start over? You can find that in the device info icon on the launcher.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    What about a secure full erase and just start over? You can find that in the device info icon on the launcher.
    Thanks for the help. Tried that multiple times. However, after rebooting, the system is exactly the same as beginning of February. So no luck there...
    Try running the Doctor again, this time from your command line. You need to copy and paste the error logs, so that somebody can look at them, and attempt to figure out what's happened. Without those error logs, it's pure speculation as to what is actually wrong.

See this page for how to run from command line.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Try running the Doctor again, this time from your command line. You need to copy and paste the error logs, so that somebody can look at them, and attempt to figure out what's happened. Without those error logs, it's pure speculation as to what is actually wrong.

See this page for how to run from command line.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Thanks! I will run WebOS doctor from the command line next Wednesday. Will post the results.
    Just to be sure: version 2.2.1?
    FYI there is no "proper" download of 2.2.3/4. It is something that you have to do yourself to your own phone.

And yes I would use the current publicly available Doctor version download. Which would be 2.1.1/2.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9.    #9  
    I just ran WebOS doctor from the command line. (Windows XP, so output in DOS)
    This is the result (It's the end of a long, long series of echo's and output on screen):

WebOS Doctor result

Mar 21, 2012 10:22:30 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> 95 percent complete

<INFO> 95 percent complete
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:01 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Sent 139937488 bytes

Mar 21, 2012 10:23:01 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Waiting....

Mar 21, 2012 10:23:03 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> 100 percent complete

<INFO> 100 percent complete
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:03 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Untarring complete, syncing file systems

<INFO> Untarring complete, syncing file systems
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "rm -rf /tmp/tcmnt_2571//etc/fstab"

<INFO> Running "rm -rf /tmp/tcmnt_2571//etc/fstab"
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> Unable to create directory /tmp/tcmnt_2571/etc/fs.d

<ERROR> Unable to create directory /tmp/tcmnt_2571/etc/fs.d
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:05 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "rm -rf /tmp/tcmnt_2571"

<INFO> Running "rm -rf /tmp/tcmnt_2571"
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:05 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -an --ignorelockingfailure
    store 2> /dev/null"

<INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -an --ignorelockingfailure store 2> /dev/nul
    l"
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:06 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:06 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

<ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Finished!

Mar 21, 2012 10:23:07 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: Trenchcoat returned failure error code 1

Mar 21, 2012 10:23:07 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController log
    Print
    INFO: trenchcoat retries exhausted

Mar 21, 2012 10:23:07 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController pos
    tFlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    err -1 "Trenchcoat failure, retries exhausted"
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:423
    )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Mar 21, 2012 10:23:07 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController pos
    tFlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1332390187824
    from C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.lck
    to C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\palmInstallerError0.log
    java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process
    has locked a portion of the file
    at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils.saveLogs(RdxUtils.java:217)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.saveLogs(CardCont
    roller.java:162)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.handleFailCase(Ca
    rdController.java:676)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.postFlashEvent(Ca
    rdController.java:836)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:581
    )
    from C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.1
    to C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\palmInstallerError1.log
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:09 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController han
    dleFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:09 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController han
    dleFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    err -1 "Trenchcoat failure, retries exhausted"
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:423
    )
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:10 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDisco
    veryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:10 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDisco
    veryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:10 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController run
    nerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Mar 21, 2012 10:23:10 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController run
    nerFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card

Bold section contains the information of interest.

I did some research on the error message ("INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> Unable to create directory") and found that this problem has occurred to other webOS installations as well. Some people complain about a very similar problem (restarting in the exact same state, even after removal of files) and WebOS doctor failing (at 12% however).

According to information on the XDA developers forum, the filesystem went in read-only mode.
    This guy is experiencing exactly the same problems (on his Touchpad).

I have no clue on how to proceed. Hope you guys can help me out.
  10.    #10  
    Guys,
    it's been a while. I've tried a couple of times in my spare time. No luck until now.

I tried the webOS doctor on different pc's, but same result every time -> "CPU Specific initalization failed"...

I also tried modifying files in the filesystem. Followed instructions in this thread and entered the filesystem using the novaterm tool (from an webOS dev installation). Tried this on Windows (XP) and on mac os X (Lion).
    Used commands:

dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media

Which resulted in a question whether I wanted to perform the suggested actions.
    In Windows/DOS this resulted in an endless loop and I got stuck. Couldn't enter a new command on commandline.
    In Terminal (OS X) the following output was reached:

root@palm-webos:/# dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media
    dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offset:original/backup)
    71:48/20, 72:50/20, 74:56/20, 75:45/20, 76:45/20, 77:52/20
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action
    ? 2
    Perform changes ? (y/n) y
    /dev/mapper/store-media: 10020 files, 42390/199143 clusters
    root@palm-webos:/# exit
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

I got stuck entering the answer 2 in Windows, but in OS X Terminal the tool eventually continued and asked for confirmation. I confirmed, but the result was nothing really happened.

Hope this information might give someone a clue. Would be really nice if someone can help me out.
    Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P 2 View Post
    Guys,
    it's been a while. I've tried a couple of times in my spare time. No luck until now.

I tried the webOS doctor on different pc's, but same result every time -> "CPU Specific initalization failed"...

I also tried modifying files in the filesystem. Followed instructions in this thread and entered the filesystem using the novaterm tool (from an webOS dev installation). Tried this on Windows (XP) and on mac os X (Lion).
    Used commands:

dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media

Which resulted in a question whether I wanted to perform the suggested actions.
    In Windows/DOS this resulted in an endless loop and I got stuck. Couldn't enter a new command on commandline.
    In Terminal (OS X) the following output was reached:

Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
    3) No action
    ? 2
    root@palm-webos:/# exit
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

I got stuck entering the answer 2 in Windows, but in OS X Terminal the tool eventually continued and asked for confirmation. I confirmed, but the result was nothing really happened.

Hope this information might give someone a clue. Would be really nice if someone can help me out.
    Thanks in advance!
    Keep running the dosfsck...

When I was testing the Veer webOS 2.2.4 doctor, several users seem to have a corrupt USB drive (media/internal), on the test device I was using, I had to run it several times, it also had this problem, and when finish it discovered .2 MB, not much but with on 8G, any thing recovered is good...

FYI you should also run f s c k (remove the spaces) on all the other partition.
  12.    #12  
    I'm still tying to resolve the issue. Right now I'm unable to connect with my HP Veer device using the novacom command in Terminal on OS X.
    I'm trying same as few weeks back:
    novacom -t open tty://

However, when device is connected by cable (USB) there is no response from the Terminal until is disconnect the cable. After sudden disconnection, there is a message about EOF from server.

Shouldn't be this hard, right?
    Anyone got a bright idea to help me out?
    I'm still tying to resolve the issue. Right now I'm unable to connect with my HP Veer device using the novacom command in Terminal on OS X.
    I'm trying same as few weeks back:
    novacom -t open tty://

However, when device is connected by cable (USB) there is no response from the Terminal until is disconnect the cable. After sudden disconnection, there is a message about EOF from server.

Shouldn't be this hard, right?
    Anyone got a bright idea to help me out?
    Well on my phone, too much to type but I have posted in other posts. Use the uimage (like in Herrie's makefile) destroy each partition, the rebuild, running format and the f s c k to validate the partitions?
  14.    #14  
    Thanks John, found some usefull information you posted earlier and I'm now able to connect to my WebOS device.

I used the dosfsck command multiple times. Same result every time over and over
    3) No action
    ? 2

tried f s c k command, but mostly with errors...
    root@palm-webos:/# ls -la /dev/mapper/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 220 Aug 26 12:32 .
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4180 Aug 26 12:32 ..
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 34 Aug 26 12:32 control
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 5 Aug 26 12:32 store-filecache
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 3 Aug 26 12:32 store-log
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 6 Aug 26 12:40 store-media
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 4 Aug 26 12:32 store-mojodb
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 0 Aug 26 12:32 store-root
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 7 Aug 26 12:32 store-swap
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 2 Aug 26 12:32 store-update
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 1 Aug 26 12:32 store-var
    root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/store-media
    **** 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
    WARNING: couldn't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
    3) No action
    ? 2
    Leaving file system unchanged.
    root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/store-mojodb
    e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/mapper/store-mojodb is mounted.
    /var/db: recovering journal
    ****.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var/db

root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/store-filecache
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/mapper/store-filecache is mounted.
    /var/file-cache: recovering journal
    ****.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var/file-cache

root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/store-root
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/mapper/store-root is mounted.
    /: recovering journal
    ^[[Afsck.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /

root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/store-swap
    ****: ****.swap: not found
    ****: Error 2 while executing ****.swap for /dev/mapper/store-swap
    root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/store-update
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/mapper/store-update is mounted.
    /var/lib/update has been mounted 39 times without being checked, check forced.
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    /lost+found not found. Create<y>? yes

Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/var/lib/update: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    /var/lib/update: 11/4096 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 1160/4096 blocks
    root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/store-var
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/mapper/store-var is mounted.
    /var: recovering journal
    ****.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var

root@palm-webos:/# **** /dev/mapper/control
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/mapper/control is mounted.
    ****.ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/mapper/control
    Could this be a zero-length partition?
    root@palm-webos:/# ls -la /dev/mapper/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 220 Aug 26 12:32 .
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4180 Aug 26 12:32 ..
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 34 Aug 26 12:32 control
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 5 Aug 26 12:55 store-filecache
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 3 Aug 26 12:32 store-log
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 6 Aug 26 12:40 store-media
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 4 Aug 26 12:55 store-mojodb
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 0 Aug 26 12:56 store-root
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 7 Aug 26 12:32 store-swap
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 2 Aug 26 12:56 store-update
    brw------- 1 root root 254, 1 Aug 26 12:56 store-var

This is presenting so many errors. I am not really sure whether I'm doing the right thing or using the proper commands as you suggested.
    Could you help me out some more?
    Thanks John, found some usefull information you posted earlier and I'm now able to connect to my WebOS device.

Quote edited...

This is presenting so many errors. I am not really sure whether I'm doing the right thing or using the proper commands as you suggested.
    Could you help me out some more?
    Editied as I was on my phone, too much to type, but looks like a lot of the partitions are corrupt. They might not be repairable with f s c k, you might have to re format the partitions.

This is where Herrie's makefile comes in.

if you memboot the uImage, then follow the logic (open the makefile in a text editor), you can remove all of the partitions. Then recreate them.

Here in a nut shell is the commands copied from the Makefile (WARNING this will remove all and I mean ALL USER data from the phone) - this will NOT remove any of the modem or device partitions only the USER/LINUX portions...

Turn off the phone, hold the volume up key and plug in the USB (or turn the phone on).
    At a terminal window (command prompt if in windows)
    novacom -w boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-broadway.uImage

Now the device should wake up to a USB symbol then go to a HP symbol.

Then you need to terminal into the device (as long as you have the SDK it is NOVATERM)
    if not you can use WebOS Quick Installer to get a command line as well.

Once in your will have a prompt.
    Now you need to scan the disk for the volumes:
    lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

Once those are in you can then destroy the volumes:
    This will list the partitions...
    ls /dev/store

Now change partition name to the names of the partitions from the previous commands
    lvm.static lvremove -f /dev/store/partition name

You will have to repeat until all are removed

ls /dev/store

Now all partitions should be removed if not repeat the above...

Now you need to re-create all the partitions:

Root:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 456M -n root store
    mke2fs.e2fsprogs -j -q /dev/store/root

Var:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 64M -n var store
    mke2fs.e2fsprogs -j -q /dev/store/var

Update:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 16M -n update store
    mke2fs.e2fsprogs -j -q /dev/store/update

Log:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 24M -n log store
    mke2fs.e2fsprogs -j -q /dev/store/log

Mojodb:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 144M -n mojodb store
    mke2fs.e2fsprogs -j -q /dev/store/mojodb

Filecache:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 136M -n filecache store
    mke2fs.e2fsprogs -j -q /dev/store/filecache

Swap:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 504M -n swap store
    mkswap.util-linux-ng /dev/store/swap

Media: (USB DRIVE)
    lvm.static lvcreate -l +100%FREE -n media store
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Now I recommend doing the dosfsck for the media and the f s c k for the other partitions just to make sure everything is 100%, but it should be.

Once you are happy? Run the doctor....

If you have any Questions please post those (Also copy the command line and post it so if there are issues you can add that to the post)..

Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I bought a spare Veer on Ebay, $50.
    I love the phone and that sounds easier than what you are going through. Get a spare to use every day then work on your f'd up one.
    That's about all the advice I can offer.
    Always easy to throw money at something, but what if you do not have the money to throw?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/10/2012 at 09:46 PM.
    I bought a spare Veer on Ebay, $50.
    I love the phone and that sounds easier than what you are going through. Get a spare to use every day then work on your f'd up one.
    That's about all the advice I can offer.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for the help, John! I'm gonna try some more on ascension day.
    FYI, tracks, I just bought a spare phone for that same reason.