1.    #1  
    What does the Veer use for triangulation? My handheld GPS uses signals from Satellites. Does the Veer use cell towers? Do you need a data plan to use the GPS?
    I don't have data and it seems the GPS works away from WIFI but the programs don't work away from WIFI.
    GPS is exactly that: GPS. It uses satellites to get location. Many smartphones (webOS ones included) can use Google Location Services, which works off of WiFi data to guess approximate location.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    What does the Veer use for triangulation? My handheld GPS uses signals from Satellites. Does the Veer use cell towers? Do you need a data plan to use the GPS?
    I don't have data and it seems the GPS works away from WIFI but the programs don't work away from WIFI.
    but you have to pay a surcharge for the service
    works like a charm with Maps, Mapping Tool Pro & AT&T Navigator which is a great tool
    AT&T Navigator has yet to fail me, though I have not yet taken it out of Texas
    remarkably it even accurately leads you to the best garage entrances of destinations in the steel & concrete complexes we favor in Space City

best GPS for driving I have used
  4.    #4  
    I got it to work with SmartRunner last night. The map doesn't show once I leave the wifi of my house (no data plan) but when I get home and upload the information its all there. Cool program. Now I just have to get a nice holder for the phone so I can bike with it on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    but you have to pay a surcharge for the service
    works like a charm with Maps, Mapping Tool Pro & AT&T Navigator which is a great tool
    AT&T Navigator has yet to fail me, though I have not yet taken it out of Texas
    remarkably it even accurately leads you to the best garage entrances of destinations in the steel & concrete complexes we favor in Space City

best GPS for driving I have used
    None of those services are available north of the USA.

@OP, you can't just open the Maps app and use that? Go into Location Services, and pick locate me using GPS, then open your maps up, wait a few seconds for it to lock on, then press the crosshairs button to find yourself.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    You could buy Mapping Tool Pro. It has the ability to cache the map tiles. So center the map on the area you want, use the smallest number in the zoom to get the biggest area. Then go into the menu choose "cache area". It gives you a choice of the zoom levels you want. Do all this on wifi as it can take a while if you choose a big area and large zoom.

Once all the data is cached, it will stay on your veer unless you clear the cache.

edit: That way you can have a map away from wifi.
    Last edited by frantid; 03/15/2012 at 04:49 PM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    it uses magic!

and does Navit work on the Pixi/Veer?
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    ATT Nav works great but cost $9.99 a month and uses your Data and you must be in a 3g/4g area for it to work.

I use NDrive $24.99 one time charge, doesn't use my Data and works even if your not in a 3g/4g area. (must turn Data on phone off if you have it enabled).
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Does the Veer GPS work with only wifi? None of the mapping apps work for me. I do not have a data plan, just a simple prepaid plan so I assumed that had something to do with it. Don't understand why it doesn't like it does on the TP.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sorry. Finally figured it out. Location Services and enable locate me using Google Services.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities